Motivations crafting costs are outrageous!

On 9/8/2023 at 2:40 PM, Teknomancer.4895 said:

Apparently rifts can't open unless the player uses the HotO, so the question is really why we're doing it at all. No player action = no rift, no rift = no demon invasions, no demon invasions = no problem.

If you have run any rifts you would notice that there is alot of demons spawning from that rift before you tap it (which you need to murder to "open" the rift and lure out the big bad), so when left unchecked, demon invasion totally happens.

2 hours ago, Lord Trejgon.2809 said:

If you have run any rifts you would notice

I've run more than plenty of them, FYVM. On the rare occasion that I got there before people were already engaged in attacking, I noticed (see what I did there?) that there was nothing happening but a distortion -- until I fondled the blue magic egg.

A little less unwarranted condescension from you might have elicited a more polite response.

Edited by Teknomancer.4895
typos
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Teknomancer.4895 said:

I've run more than plenty of them, FYVM. On the rare occasion that I got there before people were already engaged in attacking, I noticed (see what I did there?) that there was nothing happening but a distortion -- until I fondled the blue magic egg.

A little less unwarranted condescension from you might have elicited a more polite response.

FYVM?

for your very management?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

You basically have to run this content with a group if you are going beyond tier 1 rifts. The cost of a motivation exceeds the bonus reward you get from it. Therefore if 1 person is opening all of the t2 and t3 rifts for a squad, they are operating at net loss, both in terms of gold and time spent earning essence. When I run this content as a commander, there is period of time that the rift boss wont spawn until a motivation is deposited. If my squad sits here for awhile, I try to explain to people that these rifts require a "key" to be opened. I then direct them to the motivations, and ask each person to buy 1 from the tp. After this brief explanation, I've never had an issue with getting others to contribute to opening the rifts. And I've ran 50+ hours of these rifts as a commander.

It's true, the most cost effective AND profitable way to farm these rifts, is by never contributing motivations at all. But, if people start being selfish, I, as a commander will just start charging people upfront to join private squads. I'm sure guilds are already doing this, and other public commanders would do the same. Nobody wants this, so just contribute your 1 motivation when you join a rift squad and all will be kosher.

Edited by Shaban.7192
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Shaban.7192 said:

Therefore if 1 person is opening all of the t2 and t3 rifts for a squad, they are operating at net loss, both in terms of gold and time spent earning essence.

If there’s a group of 5 of you, do you have each person open on their turn, so each person is opening every 5th rift? Do you instruct them to “not” use their motivation until it’s their turn? The idea being to spread the cost around?

When I do a T3 rift when lots of people are there, I get a bonus if I’m the only one who uses a motivation, or “also” uses one. If I don’t, I get my 7-11 ish. I never get a bonus when someone else uses a motivation.

I think the only problem I have with the system is a motivation should be paying for more essences. I have more money than time, so I would like to speed up my essence collection. If I have more time than money, I can take my 7-11.

Where it breaks for me is needing the key to make the rift go at all. I think anyone should be able to open any kind of rift and make it go to get the 7-11. Motivation should just be for the bonus. That way there wouldn’t be this tendency to start gate keeping rifts the way you suggest, but I guess I kinda get why you want to, given the motivations are required to make the rift go.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

36 minutes ago, notebene.3190 said:
36 minutes ago, notebene.3190 said:

If there’s a group of 5 of you, do you have each person open on their turn, so each person is opening every 5th rift? Do you instruct them to “not” use their motivation until it’s their turn? The idea being to spread the cost around?

When I do a T3 rift when lots of people are there, I get a bonus if I’m the only one who uses a motivation, or “also” uses one. If I don’t, I get my 7-11 ish. I never get a bonus when someone else uses a motivation.

I think the only problem I have with the system is a motivation should be paying for more essences. I have more money than time, so I would like to speed up my essence collection. If I have more time than money, I can take my 7-11.

Where it breaks for me is needing the key to make the rift go at all. I think anyone should be able to open any kind of rift and make it go to get the 7-11. Motivation should just be for the bonus. That way there wouldn’t be this tendency to start gate keeping rifts the way you suggest, but I guess I kinda get why you want to, given the motivations are required to make the rift go.

Indeed, it is more cost effective to spread the keys (motivations) out, only consuming 1 per rift for the entire party of players. That is what I tell my squad members to do. I believe the break even is having 5 players per 1 motivation used (at least for T2s), but you're not trying to break even in terms of gold or progression, you're trying to move forward. I'll generally run T1s until I get a party of around 30 people, then I'll switch over to T2s or T3s. T3's you don't make any gold from, only the mats needed to farm for new PVE legendary armor. T2s generate the essence needed for T3 motivations, which when consumed to defeat T3 rifts, yields these legendary materials, ie T3 essence of triumph. This is how the gold sink / money making method works.

Correct, only the person who uses the motivation gets the bonus, but the bonus does not offset the cost of the motivation itself. Therefore, lets say two people wish to earn the new legendary armor, 1 uses as many motivations as possible, crafting all their essences into keys, while the other mooches every rift. The moocher will complete their armor in less total rifts. There is a third type of player, the one who buys all their motivations off the tp. Based on my calculations, this player will complete the armor 3 times faster than the moocher, at the cost of their gold.

I definitely agree, the bonus should be higher, maybe yield some additional essence of the previous tier to help offset the cost. Would be a nice change.

I agree with this as well, but I assume it hinders the gold sink, which in the end is the purpose of this whole complex system.

• Like 1