Disappointed to see Research Notes in SotO

Title, really. Research notes were a low pointc of EoD's design, and I was hoping they'd stay there. I understand the need for sinks, but RN are a clunky and unfun addition to the game. It's too bad they are carrying forward into SotO. Please consider not using them in the recipes of future expansions.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 5
  • Confused 4

- its increase dependency on 3rd party sites, we have to rely on eufarming to see most cheap.

- alt unfriendly, because atm the most cheap is jeweler items, so i have to reserve time to load my jeweler to craft.

- its a noob trap, Soto is introducing more noobs traps, newer player not used to these "optimal economy" sites, will spend tons of gold or give up the content.

- motivations not explicity says its a consumable.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 5
  • Confused 6

23 minutes ago, Gibson.4036 said:

Title, really. Research notes were a low pointc of EoD's design, and I was hoping they'd stay there. I understand the need for sinks, but RN are a clunky and unfun addition to the game. It's too bad they are carrying forward into SotO. Please consider not using them in the recipes of future expansions.

As you say, they need material sinks.  

At least this is one we can craft on our own versus some ridiculous grind for months on end (Looking at you essences). 

Edited by illuminati.8453
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, illuminati.8453 said:

As you say, they need material sinks.  

At least this is one we can craft on our own versus some ridiculous grind for months on end (Looking at you essences). 

It's just this system was kind of an example of how not to do it. Crafting huge batches of meaningless things so you can destroy them feels terrible.

It also makes for a weirdly opaque system. It's hard to evaluate the cost of recipes because RN are a wildcard material in the mix.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

3 minutes ago, Gibson.4036 said:

It's just this system was kind of an example of how not to do it. Crafting huge batches of meaningless things so you can destroy them feels terrible.

I'm with you there.  Would have been awesome to have us craft stuff then donate it to NPCs for some higher purpose.  The community as a whole could have been drafted to work together in this way to achieve some effect while also awarding us research notes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Was a pretty bad move.  While crafting is not that interesting it was still nice to level the professions - they also have own achievements. Why do the vendor that does "assisted" crafting to just skip having players level their own crafting profession? Was not necessary.

For new player advancement it would have been easier to make research notes easier to obtain. Not ... adding another use for them in SotO where nobody needs them. Material sink: You can have other stuff for that. Spending the mats directly.

Also the crafting stations have no option on which stuff is researchable. (For a quicker/better filtering.) I'd rater pay money directly at a fix vendor value since it basically just translates into money and is an extra step. Annoying to have to use external sites to see which is the best option for getting research notes.

It does not even fit into SotO - all about wizards, arcane stuff. That is supposed to be so different from the normal scientific research that even Zojja is surprised. And the research notes are the technical (natural science) stuff from EoD. Another option would have been useful - to let some research notes drop from the rifts. (Amount not too low.)

For material sink they probably intended it to "sink" the old stuff that is listed on the TP. Not working if people just craft the cheapest possible stuff. There might still be crap listed there that is less cheap - which never gets "researched".

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

I am glad they are in the new expansion as well. I still have several thousands research notes.

On 8/25/2023 at 7:51 PM, Gibson.4036 said:

Crafting huge batches of meaningless things so you can destroy them feels terrible.

You don’t have to craft, you can just salvage all the ascended gear the game throws at you. 

Edited by vares.8457
  • Like 1

I would mind them a lot less if you could dump them into tradable RN items. Like, spend 250 at the RN vendor to get a tradeable item that can be consumed for 250. Then let people who want to play that economic optimization game play it, and let everyone else just directly buy RN items from them on the TP.

• Like 1

Agreed, never touched research notes even in EoD until 2 days ago. 

On the other hand I might be late to party but people here are saying Anet wanted resource sink ? if that is true I have to ask what is this infatuation with resource sink ? I have played only for some time I am not veteran or anything but I play daily (for some months now) do fractals t4 and some other activities and I can't say that I am swimming in resources. If I were swimming in resources I'd be crafting legendaries left and right, at least relevant resources. I do get plenty of garbage trophies though from meta event and such. I really don't understand this, not first time i heard as well recently this resource sink.   

• Like 3
  • Confused 1