Stutters on AMD GPU.

I am stuttering aswell on an overclocked-undervolted rx 6950xt. I think my CPU (i5-10500 3.10GH) isn't helping even if it's never at max load (max 65%).

Adrenalin is also is telling me that GW2 is running on API DX9 most of the time, I am trying to make it run on DX11 since I want to use the newly released AMFM (no idea if it's going to do anything). Yesterday I managed to play a session with the API @ DX11. Today it reverted back to DX9 and nothing I do to try to change it back to DX11 seems to work.

I'm using Reshade 5 and ArchDPS if that has anything to do with anything.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, nickcosta.8256 said:

Today it reverted back to DX9 and nothing I do to try to change it back to DX11 seems to work.

Honestly don't know what this means.  DX9 isn't a thing in GW2 anymore.  It was removed and the command line for it was disabled.

• 3 months later...

Necromancy for the sake of frametime consistency.

For me Adrenaline in general doesn't even recognize GW2 as a DX11 application.
Generated Frames and FSR both won't work with GW2.

Also Adaptative Sync doesn't seem to work with the client either, as frametime gets completely ruined by even the slightest of framedrops well whitin the adaptative sync range of the monitor/GPU capabilities.

This is not AMD not working with GW2.
This is GW2 not working with AMD.

Will try DXVK as the game isn't even properly recognized as a DX11 app anyways.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

What helped in my case,  6750 slightly undervolted, was enabling triple buffering.. I know GW2 is not an open GL game and that should not affect it but it did. I have Vsync on via the game settings, since my eyes are very sensitive to screen tearing.

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

OK, so I thought I'd throw my information out there, for anyone who might want, or like me, came across this thread. 🙂

So, first off, nope, I don't really get frame stuttering or drops, and my fps is pretty consistent and smooth wherever I am. Second, yep, I got AMD Frame Gen (Fluid Motion Frames) to work just fine. both Fullscreen and Borderless-Windowed (meaning that it does register the DX11 API being used correctly). Lastly, I have a Freesync monitor, and enabling it in the software works just fine. All that said, here are my specs:

Ryzen 5 3600 (running stock)

ASRock x570m Pro4 Motherboard (latest Bios, ReBar and 4G Decoding enabled)

64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3600 (Running at 3600 using XMP)

ASRock RX6700XT 12GB Challenger Graphics Card (Current Drivers and Adrenaline Software)

Steam and Guild Wars 2 installed on separate 1TB NVMe drive

With all that, as said, everything at least for me is working fine, so if I am able to provide any info from anything (the game, my system, etc) , just let me know and I'll happily provide if it will help get things working for others.

Edit:  I wanted to add that I did encounter some odd bugs though, in using AMD's Frame Gen.  With it enabled, I couldn't record the AMD Metrics Overlay.  If I opened OBS (my normal recording app) on my second monitor, Frame Gen would disable (both Fullscreen and Windowed, and if I closed OBS, it would re-enable.  weird, right?

Also, if Frame Gen was enabled, Windows Game Bar would crash and cancel recording the moment I was in game.  I could record the character selection all I wanted, but the moment I got into a map, it would crash...disabled Frame Gen..all was good.

Apparently doing a bit of searching, this has been reported before, but still seemed a bit rare, so maybe I'm just missing something.

Edited by Grilnak.6275
Added issues I had.

Cpu:7950x3D 

Gpu: rog 4090 rtx (not amd but I still hop into thread with you guys)

Speedtest give me 1ms ping and 2500mbs in and out. 

Wtf is wrong with this game? What kind of system I need to have to run it properly? To avoid stutters and R swings?

Help me forum sisters, I'm confused.

Should I aquire industrial hardware, commission custom drivers, and get direct optic cable to anet servers or smtg? 

Edited by Triptaminas.4789
  • Confused 2

On 6/20/2024 at 5:11 AM, Grilnak.6275 said:

So, first off, nope, I don't really get frame stuttering or drops, and my fps is pretty consistent and smooth wherever I am. Second, yep, I got AMD Frame Gen (Fluid Motion Frames) to work just fine. both Fullscreen and Borderless-Windowed (meaning that it does register the DX11 API being used correctly). Lastly, I have a Freesync monitor, and enabling it in the software works just fine. 

This thread is 9 months old. In september 2023 it didn't work. The AMD driver did not detect GW2 as an DX11 application. 

Now (current game version, most recent driver) it technically works (the error message in the driver is gone and I am getting ~400 fps) but it's still useless because:

• AFMF does nothing against the CPU related stutters, because AFMF can't improve frame times, that's not how it works and not what it is meant to achieve
  • The feature itself is still complete trash for 2 reasons: 1. It disables itself at camera movements all the time (cutting your framerate in half). 2. It does not work with VSync, which would be the only fix for the CPU related stutters, since VSync prerenders frames.

So if you think AFMF improved your experience, that's just a placebo.

Wtf is wrong with this game? What kind of system I need to have to run it properly? To avoid stutters and R swings?

You can't do anything. The engine is from 2004 and can't manage the CPU load properly. ANet will never be able to fix this. They would have to move to a different engine.

3 hours ago, KrHome.1920 said:

This thread is 9 months old. In september 2023 it didn't work. The AMD driver did not detect GW2 as an DX11 application. 

Now (current game version, most recent driver) it technically works (the error message in the driver is gone and I am getting ~400 fps) but it's still useless because:

• AFMF does nothing against the CPU related stutters, because AFMF can't improve frame times, that's not how it works and not what it is meant to achieve
  • The feature itself is still complete trash for 2 reasons: 1. It disables itself at camera movements all the time (cutting your framerate in half). 2. It does not work with VSync, which would be the only fix for the CPU related stutters, since VSync prerenders frames.

So if you think AFMF improved your experience, that's just a placebo.

You can't do anything. The engine is from 2004 and can't manage the CPU load properly. ANet will never be able to fix this. They would have to move to a different engine.

Ah, my bad, I should have clarified a bit more in my post, apologies.  While the thread is 9 months old, the last post from someone reporting/asking about the issue was only a month ago, so I felt it still relevant, at least to me, enough to make me want to check for myself.

As for what AFMF does or doesn't do, I didn't make any claims, all I was doing was stating that I was able to enable it, and that it was properly recognizing the DX API being used.  I personally don't use it, as I mentioned the game runs fine for me already.  Thank you for sharing the info though, I am sure those that are having/had issues/questions regarding it will find it useful.

5 minutes ago, Grilnak.6275 said:

I was able to enable it, and that it was properly recognizing the DX API being used.

Did you enable it while the game was already running or before?  The reason I ask is because on initial start up, it seems the game reports to the system as DX9 and then reinitializes to DX11.  If you enabled while the game was already running, it would get "properly recognized" as DX11.

Edited by Chaba.5410

6 minutes ago, Chaba.5410 said:

Did you enable it while the game was already running or before?  The reason I ask is because on initial start up, it seems the game reports to the system as DX9 and then reinitializes to DX11.  If you enabled while the game was already running, it would get "properly recognized" as DX11.

Both actually.  The first time I enabled it after the game was running, using the Adrenaline Overlay.  After that I turned it off, exited the game, and then enabled it in the games properties page in Adrenaline, and checked after loading the game up again and it was enabled fine.

Curious, didn't know the game would do that.  Is there a way to check and see that happening?

1 minute ago, Grilnak.6275 said:

Curious, didn't know the game would do that.  Is there a way to check and see that happening?

I couldn't tell you since I use Nvidia.  I get that problem with Shadowplay.  There's another AMD thread somewhere around this forum describing how Adrenaline was recognizing the game as DX9 on start up.

2 minutes ago, Chaba.5410 said:

I couldn't tell you since I use Nvidia.  I get that problem with Shadowplay.  There's another AMD thread somewhere around this forum describing how Adrenaline was recognizing the game as DX9 on start up.

Gotcha.  Definitely something to look into, good thing I look following rabbit trails of weird internet searches. lol 🙂

42 minutes ago, Chaba.5410 said:

The driver does not detect GW2 as DX11 as long as only the launcher is opened, because no DX11 code is executed at this point. The moment you click on Play and the game opens the DX11 stuff starts and the error message in the driver disappears. That's actually happening in real time and you can check this by letting the driver menu open when starting the game.

AFMF is a simple application hook like pretty much all the fancy stuff drivers do these days (frame limiter, image sharpening, input lag reduction etc.).

Hooking - Wikipedia

Last year the driver was not able to hook the game as it did not find any DX11 code. Hard to say whether this was an AMD or ANet issue.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KrHome.1920 said:

The driver does not detect GW2 as DX11 as long as only the launcher is opened, because no DX11 code is executed at this point. The moment you click on Play and the game opens the DX11 stuff starts and the error message in the driver disappears. That's actually happening in real time and you can check this by letting the driver menu open when starting the game.

AFMF is a simple application hook like pretty much all the fancy stuff drivers do these days (frame limiter, image sharpening, input lag reduction etc.).

Hooking - Wikipedia

Last year the driver was not able to hook the game as it did not find any DX11 code. Hard to say whether this was an AMD or ANet issue.

It's an Anet issue in the way they've chosen to initialize graphics.  It's an AMD/Nvidia issue only to the extent of when their software polls the game to detect DX version.  Shadowplay only polls once upon start up.

Battlefield V is another game that has a similar issue where it starts at a lower resolution and Shadowplay reads that resolution and never re-polls after the game switches to a higher resolution canvas.

I was having all sort of issues in game the other day.  Usually when I have stutters, dc's or other issues, it is not with GW2, rather me.  The obvious one is checking video card update and another, being a gamer, I have Windows auto update set to metered, so checking windows for updates can resolve issues, this (more times than not) for me, is often the culprit.  If neither of those options work then I resort to video card settings, resetting the AMD card, I have only had to resort to this on one occasion, usually it's one of the first two options.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a 7900 xtx a few months ago it was stuttering so much only in gw2 by just jumping the character or turning the camera. I started failing raids and fractal cms bcs of this weird stuttering happening. Amd has screen overlay with stutter meter, it was spiking when this issue happened.

My mistake was to never google if GW2 had issues with amd cards, so I did that search after having bought the card. I have applied all the solutions offered in the internet and problem was not resolved.

I have returned the card and got my payment back. There is no solution by end user to this problem. Return the card and buy from other brand because it does not have this issue as my friends showed me real time on discord stream and videos on YouTube.

• Confused 1

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Bubba.2731 said:

My fix: Turn off Freesync in GW2 only.

Turning your variable refresh rate monitor into a fixed refresh rate monitor will increase stuttering.

Edited by KrHome.1920
  • Haha 1