Being targeted and DDOS.

Itz Jay.8941

Pretty sure I've got to wipe my PC now, was playing ranked earlier and somebody starts bad mouthing me, the next game I'm facing them so obviously I took them down straight away. Was clearly winning the game then all of a sudden bam my screen freezes and I got to crash my pc to restart. I came back and my team somehow got them at 450-450, I quickly put some pressure on and we won the game. Afterward I called them all out and funnily enough they all logged into different characters. Has anybody faced this issue and is there anything you can do about it? To be honest I think there is some really suspicious things going on in spvp. I'm not about to risk my PC playing this game, the matchmaking and balancing is bad enough

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

I sincerely doubt it.

If some one was going to do that, They'd probably go after some one with some reputation.

If your PC Crashed, It could be due to several factors. I recommend starting up your Anti-Virus and Running a full scan. Crashes can also be caused by your system over heating, Memory leaks, or Faulty Hardware.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Itz Jay.8941 said:

Pretty sure I've got to wipe my PC now, was playing ranked earlier and somebody starts bad mouthing me, the next game I'm facing them so obviously I took them down straight away. Was clearly winning the game then all of a sudden bam my screen freezes and I got to crash my pc to restart. I came back and my team somehow got them at 450-450, I quickly put some pressure on and we won the game. Afterward I called them all out and funnily enough they all logged into different characters. Has anybody faced this issue and is there anything you can do about it? To be honest I think there is some really suspicious things going on in spvp. I'm not about to risk my PC playing this game, the matchmaking and balancing is bad enough

Don't listen to what other people say. There is definitely some method of force crashing your game.

When it happens to me, it's never during a random moment like running fractals or standing in town or clearing a map. No, it's always in these very specific circumstances:

1. I'm either in a ranked or automated tournament game.
  2. Someone in the game is vocally targeting me, either out of rage or some insistent need to troll.
  3. My team pulls ahead and starts winning even by just 10 points.
  4. Then bam, randomly my game will do a weird freeze thing.

After awhile, you can see it is not a coincidence.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 7

27 minutes ago, Trevor Boyer.6524 said:

Don't listen to what other people say. There is definitely some method of force crashing your game.

When it happens to me, it's never during a random moment like running fractals or standing in town or clearing a map. No, it's always in these very specific circumstances:

1. I'm either in a ranked or automated tournament game.
  2. Someone in the game is vocally targeting me, either out of rage or some insistent need to troll.
  3. My team pulls ahead and starts winning even by just 10 points.
  4. Then bam, randomly my game will do a weird freeze thing.

After awhile, you can see it is not a coincidence.

It's not the first occasion it's happened and my PC doesn't crash, it's never crashed outside of these select situations. There is definitely a few hours window in the evening to avoid a lot of this. I'm interested to know if there is something that would help and what these people are up to. 

This has absolutely been happening to me and I play through a VPN. 

I'm in a good flow, playing better than usual because my anxiety has briefly subsided, and BOOM, crash to login, multiple times. 

I don't think this is just a "high elo" problem and what even is high elo when I'm regularly going up against top 100's or higher in gold 1-3. Usually recognizable names, at least one or two people from a previous game where it also happened despite not happening at in earlier matches, and sometimes it takes a good 5 minutes just to get back in without a crash. 

I didn't check to see what other characters they logged onto as I assume many of them are just alt accounts of a more familiar name (or the same name with additional words because they don't even hide the fact that it's an alt account and both are farming ranked matches 24/7 for some reason). 

I posted about this exact thing the other day and got no traction but I did do a bit of research into how, beyond my level of understanding, and it seems doable. Granted, not as doable without finding some exploit to the server-side or knowing some vulnerability, and it seems as though it's possible if you only know someone's account name. So, following that, it gets me wondering about the nearly bi-weekly name changes some of these elite players do. (If we really want a conspiracy here.) With the amount of botting and teleport hacks we've seen go unchecked for months upon months - calling this just a "conspiracy" is foolish.

I would be inclined to go with the - I've been playing ele and playing ele well is doing a lot of pre-casting/queuing of abilities and perhaps this leads to a crash - BUT - it doesn't seem to happen on the rare occasion I'm playing similarly well (which is rare) against completely fresh teams. 

You can believe me or not knowing that I'm not exactly an "elite" player, but I'm certain this has happened to other people that were and the threads always get no traction or pushed aside as "conspiracy" but it doesn't change the fact that this is something people are genuinely experiencing and all I'm saying is - can you REALLY doubt it if you've been invested or entrenched in this game mode for several years? (Me far less than most of the people in this sub-thread but even that is enough to see that there have been some pretty significant issues historically.)

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, Itz Jay.8941 said:

Pretty sure I've got to wipe my PC now

DDOS isn't malware.  

1 hour ago, Gundam Style.8495 said:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9611060/

The exploit lies in api, it's not the game just crashing. Won't post the link to any software, Google is your friend.....maybe not

If that were a thing for GW2 it'd most definitely be happening in WvW where it would be far easier to pull off.  

1 hour ago, Gotejjeken.1267 said:

DDOS isn't malware.  

If that were a thing for GW2 it'd most definitely be happening in WvW where it would be far easier to pull off.  

Who knows about wvw, but easier won't matter as many players put their information on data collection sites for achievements. Proximity matters, and can be done pre match at spawn. But, once you have the info, it doesn't change.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, Itz Jay.8941 said:

It's not the first occasion it's happened and my PC doesn't crash, it's never crashed outside of these select situations

Exactly, it's kind of obvious someone has figured something out after awhile.

4 hours ago, Bast.7253 said:

You can believe me or not knowing that I'm not exactly an "elite" player

Don't let the known win traders & weird forum alts no one ever sees in-game make you think that no one believes you. IE: Itz Jay with 170ish forum posts comes in here posting about noticing blatantly obvious dirty play. People notice what's going on.

Also, you shouldn't discredit your play. Every time I run across you, you are considerably difficult to deal with. It's just you aren't kiss-assy enough with the cartel to gain benefits during your queues.

4 hours ago, Bast.7253 said:

I posted about this exact thing the other day and got no traction but I did do a bit of research into how, beyond my level of understanding, and it seems doable.

Ok so, you remember not long ago that weird bug that was being widely exploited where if you attacked someone out of stealth before a game started, it would crash them and they'd have to restart client to get back in? Yeah well that is remarkably similar to the kind of crash style I was referencing in my previous post, which only ever happens when some guy is raged or trolling or my team is winning in specifically ranked & ATs.

If you go do an internet search on the difference between DDOS and what is known as a Drophack, you will quickly find many articles that explains that a DDOS is actually somewhat difficult to perform in general and usually wouldn't happen unless someone really had it out for you. A DDOS also would attack your IP# directly and create a massive disconnection for every device in your house until the DDOS ceased. A Drophack on the other hand, is incredibly easy to code and perform. Drophacks have existed since the beginning of gaming and are nearly impossible to get rid of, unless a game is so truly polished that there is absolutely no flaw in its code. All a Drophack is, is when someone finds & identifies something broken in the game's engine, like that attack out of stealth and crash someone's game bug, and they code a little program that sends data to the server that says that is happening to someone, to recreate the critical error in the system and drop that player. This is an extremely common thing within game engines, weird file interactions that when they occur, either the server or your client-side just gets confused and it creates a critical error, completely crashing your software.

From what I've been experiencing and from what I've heard others say lately, it definitely would seem that someone in this community has cooked up and is using a common Drophack. Judging from when I started seeing it showing up commonly in games, it likely has to do with that recent stealth drop bug. Someone is probably injecting w/e old broken code that was, back into the server feed when they want to DC someone.

Just pointing out again, it never happens when I'm in fractals or wvw or running new story content for a week straight. Only ever happens in ranked & ATs when kids care too much about winning.

Edited by Trevor Boyer.6524
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Trevor Boyer.6524 said:

Just pointing out again, it never happens when I'm in fractals or wvw or running new story content for a week straight. Only ever happens in ranked & ATs when kids care too much about winning.

Just devil's advocate...why would it happen in fractals or story content if it's a targeted effort? Like who is going to d/c you out of a fractal group so they have a higher chance to fail?

WvW, maybe, as I pointed out but you'd think they'd be d/c'ing known tags left and right.

Regardless, there's so much afk going on and encouraging of afk going on by certain members of the community that you might not even notice the d/c's because ppl stand around at the drop of a hat....

Need video evidence of this though; should be easy as a few people on sPvP forums have Twitch channels...

Edited by Gotejjeken.1267
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2

8 hours ago, Gotejjeken.1267 said:

WvW, maybe, as I pointed out but you'd think they'd be d/c'ing known tags left and right.

WvW has no rewards or personal clout trophy display like personal rating that is worth caring to DC anyone.

8 hours ago, Gotejjeken.1267 said:

Need video evidence of this though; should be easy as a few people on sPvP forums have Twitch channels

Shao made an entire youtube video about this once. Displaying these times when his game would freeze and it was always in those circumstances people have been listing here, but never when he was losing a game. Also, to anyone who watches my live streams, they would know that I also frequently get these random game freezes and they have to listen to me talk while restarting the client. And it always happens under the met circumstances.

Plenty of people have caught this on record already. It is quite obvious that a common Drophack is in circulation.

Edited by Trevor Boyer.6524
  • Like 2
  • Confused 4

12 hours ago, Trevor Boyer.6524 said:

Exactly, it's kind of obvious someone has figured something out after awhile.

Don't let the known win traders & weird forum alts no one ever sees in-game make you think that no one believes you. IE: Itz Jay with 170ish forum posts comes in here posting about noticing blatantly obvious dirty play. People notice what's going on.

Also, you shouldn't discredit your play. Every time I run across you, you are considerably difficult to deal with. It's just you aren't kiss-assy enough with the cartel to gain benefits during your queues.

Ok so, you remember not long ago that weird bug that was being widely exploited where if you attacked someone out of stealth before a game started, it would crash them and they'd have to restart client to get back in? Yeah well that is remarkably similar to the kind of crash style I was referencing in my previous post, which only ever happens when some guy is raged or trolling or my team is winning in specifically ranked & ATs.

If you go do an internet search on the difference between DDOS and what is known as a Drophack, you will quickly find many articles that explains that a DDOS is actually somewhat difficult to perform in general and usually wouldn't happen unless someone really had it out for you. A DDOS also would attack your IP# directly and create a massive disconnection for every device in your house until the DDOS ceased. A Drophack on the other hand, is incredibly easy to code and perform. Drophacks have existed since the beginning of gaming and are nearly impossible to get rid of, unless a game is so truly polished that there is absolutely no flaw in its code. All a Drophack is, is when someone finds & identifies something broken in the game's engine, like that attack out of stealth and crash someone's game bug, and they code a little program that sends data to the server that says that is happening to someone, to recreate the critical error in the system and drop that player. This is an extremely common thing within game engines, weird file interactions that when they occur, either the server or your client-side just gets confused and it creates a critical error, completely crashing your software.

From what I've been experiencing and from what I've heard others say lately, it definitely would seem that someone in this community has cooked up and is using a common Drophack. Judging from when I started seeing it showing up commonly in games, it likely has to do with that recent stealth drop bug. Someone is probably injecting w/e old broken code that was, back into the server feed when they want to DC someone.

Got you, appreciate that. I am past that point with this account hence why I don't mind posting on here, but I said what I needed to, as you say it's not worth going there. 

Yeah I'm just returning after a long break, decided to start learning everything this time so it's been addicting but I'm slowing down now and being more sensible. I'm a carpenter so some days I shouldn't have really been playing, need to sharpen all my kit now, actually, need to get a grip! 🙃🤣

There is a flip side, I have had some really great players complimenting my play and it's really helped calm me down and look past things. Couple of people, what they said has really stuck with me, that really tipped the scales and made me realise it's really not about your gameplay but often your frame of mind. Since then I've helped a lot of players giving them advice, I did a lot of duo q's with people and it was great motivation without being bothered about losing. 

That's interesting stuff I just want to know they're not taking it further really, my friend is coming over to help me out soon he said it's more than likely fine. 

Strange times indeed, the matchmaking is crazier than ever as well, but lets not go there "we'll have anet on our backs next"!? Famous last words...

3 hours ago, Trevor Boyer.6524 said:

WvW has no rewards or personal clout trophy display like personal rating that is worth caring to DC anyone.

Except WvW has entire guilds who are petty and definitely would use a d/c hack to grief as they use all manner of other hacks (flying, teleporting into and under structures, downstate hacking, etc.).

Just make a VOD of it happening.

• Thanks 1