Would you like a new Race?

New playable Race...  

115 members have voted

1. 1. New playable Race and starting area?

• No. I think at this point it's too much.
    • Yes. I think it would be exciting.
    • Impartial... not sure.
    • Wait. Let me think...

On 9/20/2023 at 5:17 AM, SoulGuardian.6203 said:

If you'd like a new race and a new starting area, what it would be?

The obvious answer is Tengu… all of the ground work for them as a playable race has already been done… the world map has a space for a starting zone and race capital already set up to connect into the existing low level regions and it is 100% lore accurate that those two zones are the home of the Tengu. They even have multiple connections into those unused zones already mapped out in the adjacent zones too. It is clear that they had an intention of making Tengu playable at one point in time.

In End of Dragons they expanded the Tengu appearance options with multiple heads, plumes, beaks, feather patterns, colorations, and body shapes, as well as establishing distinct male/female model variants. Seriously, go around Cantha and take a good hard look at all the tengu and talk to them, you’ll notice a distinct and consistent difference in the model structure for each gender. Its subtle like with Charr and Asura, but it is noticeable.

The Tengu are also maybe the easiest race to tie into the existing storylines without creating weird continuity issues…

Just add more types of elf ears and animal ears, allow mixing them with some headpieces like masks, and add backpieces that give animal tails and it will expand Humans into multiple new races. Otherwise making whole new models and animation and then poorly fitting armor to them is just waste of time/money.

There won't be any new playable races. We are 11 years old now, and since EoD was very hyped to have Tengu as a playable race and after a while they confirmed in one of their Guild chats streams they were not working on playable Tengu race, I honestly lost hope after that one.

There will be no new races, you better be used to that and not have your hopes up since you will only be disappointed if so, trust me, I have.

• Confused 1

If they were working on it beta and/or pre-HoT, sure. But now, the time & resources needed to create one would be astronomical for little to no gain. Gotta think about not just armour/outfit skins, but also animations for every emote, weapon, and the skills associated with them. Voice acting for every plot, subplot and OW interaction. They'd also have to figure out how to retcon them from personal story all the way to the SoTO plot.

That also means new starting maps just to accommodate their personal story.

On 9/21/2023 at 12:57 AM, phandaria.4891 said:

Rather than new playable race, I'd rather Arenanet spend time adding story sections for each races. I see a lot of potential interesting storyline involving the different races, or even the old WoW style reputation to delve in each races.

As much as I want more contents here, quite clear to see there is a resource limitation on the Arenanet side. I'd rather focus exploring the culture and background of the races instead of making one playable.

Some ideas:

1. Tengus, the obvious culprit. Dominion of Winds as new explorable zone.

Dominion of winds would be great only this tim a round unliek Amnytas i wih there were mor nooks and secret caves on the underside of the floating islands. so much potential in amytas and i've only seen 1 little place on the wizard tower map 😞