Kensington binds not working in game

Jetakai.3978

I lost my right index finger this year and have been looking for a mouse to compensate.  I just wanted a few keybinds like double click and rift scan, maybe a mount. but the mice bind keys on open desktop, like double click opens folders, but in game it does nothing, right and left click and roll the ball. so far i have tried the cyborg (this is NOT a mouse) the ergo m575, the kensington ergo trackball and the EX-g pro and deft pro.  they all just suck and wont key bind inside the game.  is there a block?  I remove old software, clean registry and legacy file, run software in admin, etc.  The binds inside the game are the same, like ctl+d to mount skyscale and the keybind outside is the same. I don't want to quit playing over an input device, but I cant handle things like identify 100 fill in the blanks.  Thank you in advance.  I tried flatter mice and towers first, roller balls are just my latest.  I have a true mouse graveyard.

You cannot bind abilities directly to additional mouse buttons in the GW2 menu. You need to bind them to a keyboard key in the game's menu, then use 3rd party software (ideally the one that comes with your mouse) to bind those keys to a mouse button. I assume it's the same for anything else like the Cyborg.

I use a mouse with 5 extra buttons and I have a secondary profile set up for it which runs whenever I start GW2 that has seemingly random keyboard keys like R, X and Page Up bound to those buttons. But within the game abilities I use frequently are bound to those keys so in practice, with the two running together those buttons do things like activate auto-run, dodge or the special action button.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Danikat.8537 said:

You cannot bind abilities directly to additional mouse buttons in the GW2 menu.

You sure about that? I have multiple skills bound to the extra buttons and my scroll wheel on my G903 without using 3rd party software. The only problem I ran into in GW2 was that the two buttons on the right side (I believe these are M6/7) register as the buttons on the left (M4/5 I think), but that might be a nuance due to it being an ambidextrous mouse.

Example: I have my first class utility skill assigned to both F1 (default) and M4. M4 does not replace F1's functionality as I believe you are suggesting, it's simply a second option to activate the skill.

Edited by XSevSpreeX.2143

so inside the game options, mouse, my skyscale mount/dismount is - Ctl + D

in my mouse software I chose a button and made it Ctl + D

it works on the desktop, ie double click opens a folder

When I open the game, the button does nothing, though right and left click work.  but it is like a 2 button mouse, no keybinding anything.  this is for both the EX-G Pro and the logitech M575. Am I doing it wrong?

*ponders* I use a Razer HEX ... sorry, its replacement, with swappable button panels that I just use the HEX style one of ... and in the Synapse software I've bound my arrow keys to the side buttons, plus Shift (for games where shift-w is sprint and my poor left hand can't do that).  In the game I've bound my wasd moves to the arrow keys so I can use them for strafing and a and d for turning in place.  It all works fine.

Now, I have not tried binding a key combo to a mouse button.  ANet does have a rule against macros, though that shouldn't affect this.  They require one action per click.  Otoh combo keys are fine in game.  I do have double click on a button behind my mouse wheel thanks to several mice getting destroyed by all the game's double clicking, and that does work.

Try binding your skyscale to a single key, then binding your mouse key to that key.  Though you say you have a normal mouse.  This may be your issue.  Maybe try the Razer?  Mine is the Naga Trinity, using the panel with 7 buttons surrounding a thumb rest and I only use the four buttons closest to me as my hands are not big enough to reach the others.  Very tactile, easy to find the buttons, good grip (though designed for a hand that includes a forefinger so might be a little bit of a strain to twist to use middle and ring fingers on the LMB/RMB).  Downside, the Razer Synapse software that stores your device profiles is finicky and annoying and plenty of reviewers consider Razer overpriced for its quality.

On 9/28/2023 at 5:41 PM, Danikat.8537 said:

You cannot bind abilities directly to additional mouse buttons in the GW2 menu. You need to bind them to a keyboard key in the game's menu, then use 3rd party software (ideally the one that comes with your mouse) to bind those keys to a mouse button. I assume it's the same for anything else like the Cyborg.

I use a mouse with 5 extra buttons and I have a secondary profile set up for it which runs whenever I start GW2 that has seemingly random keyboard keys like R, X and Page Up bound to those buttons. But within the game abilities I use frequently are bound to those keys so in practice, with the two running together those buttons do things like activate auto-run, dodge or the special action button.

My mounts are all bound to the mouse buttons and the action key is bound to the mouse wheel button. All through nthe in game options. No third party software needed