[PvP/WvW]The class lack strong/viable condi specs...

Arheundel.6451

There is literally nothing on this class outside the 1 trick pony with glass stats......as far as PvP?wvW goes, specifically duelling/roaming/group fight. Bleeding is not something you can build anything serious around...especially when most bleeding traits require the target being CCed beforehand, adding an unnecessary layer. Nowadays, when everything in WvW is a cele tank, a power ranger will have a really really hard time making a dent in their defenses, it's an uphill battle against almost everything.

Also...it's currently the lowest effort exercise to fight a ranger in wvw out of all classes. My personal experience is that 8 havok groups out of 10 will have 0 rangers, and for the remaining 2  groups...their rangers will be focused the hardest, the second they show up: the easiest class to lock down and CC to death or condi pressure to oblivion, with the pets being literally useless vast majority of times.

I spent thousands of hours and in-game gold on this class, love it to bits but...kittening hell....this class was that much much stronger as duellist in the past, the skill level requirements have been increased drastically while the opposite is true for the rest. 

The class desperately needs better condi options to expand the gameplay options...the oneshot galore only works so many times and in fewer and fewer instance, with other classes having an easier and easier time to use ultra tanky specs with condi burst or perma boon burst or block/evade rotations...

• Like 3

Cele druid and slb are great in WvW. Not sure about cele Untamed, but claiming that ranger does not have any options but full glass is nonsense.

Full glass was never the best option anyway, unless just tower hugging and ganking outnumbered players.

Edited by Zyreva.1078

33 minutes ago, Zyreva.1078 said:

Cele druid and slb are great in WvW. Not sure about cele Untamed, but claiming that ranger does not have any options but full glass is nonsense.

Copy/pasting my response to this from another thread since it fits here.

Nitpicking but I'd say they're good in roaming/small scale rather than great.

We lack the condition pressure that other cele builds can output and have a little less self healing potential (other than druid) so our sustain is a bit less.

You'll win fights on them, but fights take forever and if they're running cele, you're fighting uphill. 

We desperately needed a torch rework and some skill/trait updates like every other class are getting in the next patch.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, psizone.8437 said:

Copy/pasting my response to this from another thread since it fits here.

Nitpicking but I'd say they're good in roaming/small scale rather than great.

We lack the condition pressure that other cele builds can output and have a little less self healing potential (other than druid) so our sustain is a bit less.

You'll win fights on them, but fights take forever and if they're running cele, you're fighting uphill. 

We desperately needed a torch rework and some skill/trait updates like every other class are getting in the next patch.

Run cele for some strike damage output if you want less meme. Still got high burst potential.

But yeah ranger currently needs a bit of a buff and more build diversity.

• Like 1

Ranger has decent might stacking potential. NM + WHaO + various sources of (aoe) might = easy 25 stacks.

The only boon that i'm missing a bit on my cele druid atm after they removed pack runes is fury, because i'm not running wh. Still have some, just not good uptime. Most ranger builds have plenty of fury tho.

Edited by Zyreva.1078

10 minutes ago, kiwituatara.6053 said:

Still got high burst potential.

The only solo fight in that video was against a guy who standing still so it was hard to see what the actual burst damage was like.

I'd imagine any dodge or condi cleanse would have negated most of that damage, whereas other classes can reapply their condition considerably quicker. Vulture stance and sharpening stone have a hell of a cooldown.

2 minutes ago, Zyreva.1078 said:

Ranger has plenty of boons. Nature magic says hi ...

We're definitely lacking in defensive boons even with nature magic. Resistance, resolution and protection specifically.

1 minute ago, psizone.8437 said:

The only solo fight in that video was against a guy who standing still so it was hard to see what the actual burst damage was like.

I'd imagine any dodge or condi cleanse would have negated most of that damage, whereas other classes can reapply their condition considerably quicker. Vulture stance and sharpening stone have a hell of a cooldown.

We're definitely lacking in defensive boons even with nature magic. Resistance, resolution and protection specifically.

Yeah it’s just sort of a fun build I’ve been messing with. I have burning chill and torment to help cover a bit of the condis. It’s not amazing. The celestial variant works better.

4 minutes ago, kiwituatara.6053 said:

what are your go to builds right now for ranger in WvW

For smallscale and thief hunting I'm still running full power sic em soulbeast out of spite. It still does alright, it just struggles with cele builds more now with the owp nerf.

Minstrel support druid for zerging which I have no complaints about.

And I've been trying a cele untamed that I saw on guildjen.com, it reminded me of the old BM bunker builds. It plays alright but if you run into something tanky, it doesn't really have much oomph to finish fights quickly.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Zyreva.1078 said:

Ranger has decent might stacking potential. NM + WHaO + various sources of (aoe) might = easy 25 stacks.

The only boon that i'm missing a bit on my cele druid atm after they removed pack runes is fury, because i'm not running wh. Still have some, just not good uptime. Most ranger builds have plenty of fury tho.

It's one thing to stack boons and another to do it without wasting too much resources. We can stack boons, but we lose a lot of stuff to do it, unlike something like Cele Harbinger.

11 minutes ago, psizone.8437 said:

Ranger has plenty of prot, doesn't need resolution, because cleansing is better anyway and i'd rather have resistance nerfed across the board instead of even more classes that simply ignore all sorts of soft cc.

10 minutes ago, kiwituatara.6053 said:

Just out of curiosity, what are your go to builds right now for ranger in WvW. Cuz I don’t really have any. Been just experimenting with different builds.

WS/NM/Druid, full cele, smokescale + jacaranda, axe/dagger + sword/torch. Good hybrid dmg, very high sustain. Only downside is that it's not great at chasing running players and a little bit susceptible to immob and hard cc. But without those weaknesses it would be very op, so it's fine.

It's one thing to stack boons and another to do it without wasting too much resources. We can stack boons, but we lose a lot of stuff to do it, unlike something like Cele Harbinger.

Cele harb has worse might stacking (or has to sacrifice more) than ranger.

Edited by Zyreva.1078
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, psizone.8437 said:

For smallscale and thief hunting I'm still running full power sic em soulbeast out of spite. It still does alright, it just struggles with cele builds more now with the owp nerf.

Minstrel support druid for zerging which I have no complaints about.

And I've been trying a cele untamed that I saw on guildjen.com, it reminded me of the old BM bunker builds. It plays alright but if you run into something tanky, it doesn't really have much oomph to finish fights quickly.

Ohhh ok. I can’t Zerg cuz roaming alone is 250-300 ping for me. Zerging is like 400-500.

I’m not a huge fan of guildjen builds. They’re all sorta mediocre cele builds imo. But I might take another peek since there’s been some updates.

Then again, I’m the sorta person that really enjoyed the boots bad builds series…