Constant Freezes/CTDs after 2023-11-08 patch

• Raizel.8175 changed the title to Constant Freezes/CTDs after 2023-11-08 patch

I've had several game freezes on Tuesday. Where it almost froze my whole PC, making it so slow that it took over a minute for Cntrl Alt Del to open task manager. (Logging out and that back in (a 5 minute process) reset everything to normal.

Once, it looked like Logitech gaming software (mouse drivers) downloaded something at the same time.... but the other 3 times looked like Chromium incompatibilities (I opened my Chrome based browser with /wiki in-game command) when the PC grinded to an almost halt. Oh, just remembered that one time it happened during the Skywatch Archipelago meta final event, as I approached the platform on my skyscale.

• Like 1

a quick update:

I am finding that with 100% certainty... my rig grinds to an almost freeze (really slow response times to simply mousing over icons in the taskbar / on the desktop), every time i CLOSE GW2 (i almost always close the game by hitting escape until the menu comes up, then i click the "X" in the upper right hand corner. and then the game closes and the PC acts like it ran out of RAM. (Task Manager shows plenty of resources available, almost never go over 17GB RAM usage)

EDIT: i doesn't matter if i use the Original Client or the Steam Client... happens when i close either of them.

Ryzen 9 5900x, Asus Crosshair Extreme Motherboard, 32GB of G.Skill RAM (3600), Samsun 980 1T NVMe, EVGA RTX 2070 Super (x2) with NVLink. 

there may be a slight incompatibility with ICUE software (driver for Corsair Keyboard) as ICUE software sometimes crashes when closing GW2 OR after running GW2 for a long time (several hours), but it's rare (like once a month)

Edited by Forgotten Legend.9281

Since the last patch I have also experienced some crashes. One during a fight in fractals and 3 or 4 in the open world during mounting/dismounting. The game then freezes and I have to close it. This is the first time in almost 3.5 years that I've had such problems with the game.

2 hours ago, Forgotten Legend.9281 said:

update: for me, with my rig... i've found that NVIDIA Driver 546.01 was the issue. (issued 11/01/2023)

reverted to driver 545.92. (issued 10/27/2023) seems to have fixed the "close program hang" that hung my PC.

(dates are approximate, based on notifications received from Nvidia after starting the rig)

So your game was only crashing when trying to close the program?  Or were you crashing also randomly?

14 hours ago, Chaba.5410 said:

So your game was only crashing when trying to close the program?  Or were you crashing also randomly?

Closing the game would 100% cause the hang. (The driver swap fixed THIS issue)

But also randomly. (during Lyhr Meta in Skywatch Arcapeligo, WvW zerg fights, a few random PvE locations that i assumed were Chromium conflicts due to using the /wiki chat command to open my browser onto the wiki to look something up) (i haven't logged in for more than a few minutes since the driver swap, so i don't know if the random crashes/ hangs, like these, still occur. I work a lot on the weekend, so wasn't really able to play much, yet)

so both.

new info:

Nvidia drivers 546.17 WHQL on  Windows 11 23h2 also cause the whole PC to hang (very slow response time, like resources are maxxed) when closing GW2. so went back to driver 545.92. i don't know if that driver version is responsible for crashes during Lyhr Meta, as that's harder to time when trying to do other specific events, especially when having limited play time.