Engineer Shortbow

bethekey.8314

1 hour ago, Icefyer.9208 said:

Maybe it just took the Jade Mech and experience in Cantha for them to realize that they could do something like that, since all magic is simply specific spectra of the same energy and it took them a while for them to find a way to split it and harness it safely.

Two asuras did that on most of LWS episodes before EoD.

4 hours ago, EdwinLi.1284 said:

I am more surprised it took Anet this long to give Engineer this technology considering they established it early in GW2 but it was during its infancy stages of creation.

Though I was hoping for Anet to be a bit more creative with Technology that can utilize magical energies from other professions. 

It's a cool concept, I kinda wish it wasn't taking up all the abilities.

Kinda wish it was one canister abilities and other abilities brought interesting abilities to ignite it in different ways to achieve the different effects. 

But I guess as its a stand alone weapon it's hard to make a mechanic that deep without usage of F1 abilities etc etc. 

Edited by Puck.3697

On 11/16/2023 at 3:47 PM, Burnfall.9573 said:

I'm surprised that no one noticed Mesmer Profession purple butterlies flying around with Necromancer Profession purple condition effects. Once again, I will not be buying this expac. due this Ludicrousy

I can't believe that, Anet would go that far to Mix and Match.. Professions Roles and Identities and their main weapons, to suit other Professions Roles and Identities....

All there is left to say is, WoW!   

seriously, I can't even laugh at this. This is truely a sad state of where the direction of the game has come.

Well, not hating on your post and not being rude, just offering some insight.

Originally, the game was supposed to be designed so that professions don't fit roles, builds fit roles. Unfortunately, we have builds that can fit ALL roles and then some, hence why we have a meta that's bursty, sustainable, and has consistent dps, topped with mobility.

elite specs were supposed to be introduced to help fit professions into roles that they could have been struggling to fit in base game, or introduced their special trait lines to more further fit them into an intended role, but these elite specs just ended up being direct buffs to professions because they allowed you to fit multiple roles. Powercreep, pretty much.

The engineer has had those stolen class mechanics since launch. Youu see it in elixir X and the old toss elixir U. This would just be the same minus the randomeness.
Whats unfortunate is that there are certian themes that feel inherently engineery that would be great to expand on, that players now have to migrate to other classes in order to play.
You get the alchemical stuff as harbinger, you get the mechanical GS from warrior, you get interesting pistol advances from all the new pistol weapons. 
The idea that engineer cant have an identity of its own and needs to leech off of other classes comes across as really lazy

Edited by Ovalkvadratcylinder.9365
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Ovalkvadratcylinder.9365 said:

The engineer has had those stolen class mechanics since launch. Youu see it in elixir X and the old toss elixir U. This would just be the same minus the randomeness.
Whats unfortunate is that there are certian themes that feel inherently engineery that would be great to expand on, that players now have to migrate to other classes in order to play.
You get the alchemical stuff as harbinger, you get the mechanical GS from warrior, you get interesting pistol advances from all the new pistol weapons. 
The idea that engineer cant have an identity of its own and needs to leech off of other classes comes across as really lazy

I think you are confusing certain comments a bit about Engineer access technology that utilize storing magical energy from other Professions with ability mechanics.

Also, Elixir X (along with how Engineer's make their alchemist potion skills) was not magical energy from another profession but a result of Engineer's Science skill to create strange potions that function differently.

Though as I said before, there are many ways they could have handle this magic storage technology a bit more creatively with Engineer such as a Arrow shot that is power by Mesmer magic that with each shot a single arrow also creates multiple illusion arrows with the real arrow for multiple hits on a single hit (which apply a condition per hit), a heavy explosive Holy Arrow made from storing Guardian's offensive flame magic in the arrowhead that explodes on hit which applies large burn stacks and leaves a burn field for a while, a arrow that uses the Thief shadow magic energy to create a ricochet type arrow that bounce around within a single field area placed for a short time that apply bleed and poison every hit a enemy (or enemies) are in the field, and etc. 

Edited by EdwinLi.1284
  • Confused 1

kinda depressing seeing how 99% of engis aparently have never touched WvW cuz they all miss the whole point of the shortbow  , its  gonna be  Engineer's ONLY  option for WvW combat  because the rest of engineer is cancelled by boons and  anti projectile  , our only option as  offense  is Holo beam hit and run  for cd   and Throw mine for  boonstrip , thats it 

other than that we can play melee nurse 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Rezzet.3614 said:

kinda depressing seeing how 99% of engis aparently have never touched WvW cuz they all miss the whole point of the shortbow  , its  gonna be  Engineer's ONLY  option for WvW combat  because the rest of engineer is cancelled by boons and  anti projectile  , our only option as  offense  is Holo beam hit and run  for cd   and Throw mine for  boonstrip , thats it 

I dont like wvw in this game. Too many cc, too many condi, too many hidden mechanic (block, unblockable for example). And its generaly a mess visually.

They could just have made the mortar skill unblockable and here you go, you have the shortbow gameplay. At least bring back the golem from the rune anet... and weapon swap maybe..?

Edited by Zzik.5873
  • Confused 2

10 hours ago, Icefyer.9208 said:

Maybe it just took the Jade Mech and experience in Cantha for them to realize that they could do something like that, since all magic is simply specific spectra of the same energy and it took them a while for them to find a way to split it and harness it safely.

Might be a bit of harbinger in there, since their thing was distilling magical energy into elixirs. Engineers might have taken that and perfected it.

On 11/22/2023 at 1:25 AM, Rezzet.3614 said:

Pretty much. But that makes the fact even sadder, that it'll be probably a pure support weapon. Unblockable support abilities are nothing to write home about. Those are the baseline.
If these abilities had a way to build into a proper power, or utility weapon, then it could become useful in WvW. Otherwise in zerging, this will be a huge "we will move there in 2 seconds" marker, or "we will push, because engi buffs and empower prestacking started". And we will still need to give up x/shield, or hammer, which gives pretty good defensive/mobility/cc skills for supports.

• Thanks 3

On 11/23/2023 at 12:25 PM, wasss.1208 said:

Pretty much. But that makes the fact even sadder, that it'll be probably a pure support weapon. Unblockable support abilities are nothing to write home about. Those are the baseline.
If these abilities had a way to build into a proper power, or utility weapon, then it could become useful in WvW. Otherwise in zerging, this will be a huge "we will move there in 2 seconds" marker, or "we will push, because engi buffs and empower prestacking started". And we will still need to give up x/shield, or hammer, which gives pretty good defensive/mobility/cc skills for supports.

Yeah I think this would work better IF the Engineer had access to weapon swap so that they aren't locked into that role. In circumstances where you are ambushed, you will need a weapon set to protect yourself from ambushes due to weaker mobility once you equip this thing. That said, it has potential for WvW however if you look at the current WvW Meta, people (organized 10 or more member groups and some classes such as Willbender (very high uptime but not necessary perm in all cases)) are running around with permanent 4 - 10 stacks of stability as well as permanent everything other that quickness and alacrity. As a result these 2 - 5 skills will need to do a lot more than push out support boons. I would like to think that they would need to do boon stripping as well in order to be relevant to the existing meta. Alternatively it may have some good synergy with Purity of Purpose which I think is plausible and good but it doesn't offer much value in the current WvW Meta.

All of that said, we don't know what it does yet however, it is important to note that, well organized groups in WvW do not currently have any challenges with support; with the exception of alacrity uptime and quickness uptime, all other boons can be applied permanently.

Edit: And just to be crystal clear, 5 man groups who are properly organized can achieve the prior mentioned perm boon uptime in WvW as well too. The support identity for this weapon would need to be unlike what we're accustomed to seeing and be impactful enough to be brought to a 5 man group (thus replacing or being a viable alternative to some class in that group. Let's be honest, it is most likely that, this will impact the flavor of Support Engineer).

Edited by LilBiM.3581
Adding additional context and minor attempt at some grammar corrections
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1