Launcher won't open

Since the patch yesterday the game launcher won't open for me. It briefly flickers ("initializing") then disappears. I've tried repairing it, reinstalling the game and restating my computer but nothing fixed it. Does anyone else have this problem or know a way to fix it?

i think the launcher is probably already running but stuck, so you need to kill off the "Gw2-64.exe" process in task manager. its also possible the launcher is failing to patch itself due to permission issues, so make sure it can write to its directory (don't put it in program files, but on your desktop or user folder is fine).

by the way, when reinstalling the game always copy your "Gw2.dat" somewhere and then back again later, as this saves you a 60gb download.

Edited by SoftFootpaws.9134
  • Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...

For me the launcher window only appears after I kill the task in task manager. So I click gw2, nothing happens except my cursor telling me something is loading. No launcher appears. Go to task manager, end gw2 process (its a high power process). As soon as I do that the launcher appears like normal.

If I don't do the task manager process I can click on the gw2 icon and a process will appear for each time I click but no launcher window will open.

• Sad 1

I still have that problem. Guild Wars 2 processes don't seem to close correctly when ending the application. You can do a workaround by killing all GW2 process manually, but I really hope this will get fixed sooner or later.

• Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It’s been at least 2 months of having to manually force quit the GW2 process in the Task Manager. And I have to do this multiple times whenever it tries to run a patch, because the launcher opens and closes multiple times while it patches.

I’ve completely uninstalled and reinstalled the game at least 3 times and it doesn’t solve this problem.

Does anyone know a real fix for this issue?

Edit: I’ve confirmed that it’s definitely caused by ArcDPS. Deleting the .dll file does solve the issue. However, many people are using the same ArcDPS without issues. My problem began around the time I changed my GW2 installation path from OneDrive to C:/Program Files. Could this be why it’s acting differently?

Edited by DaveHawke.6523
New information
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, DaveHawke.6523 said:

It’s been at least 2 months of having to manually force quit the GW2 process in the Task Manager. And I have to do this multiple times whenever it tries to run a patch, because the launcher opens and closes multiple times while it patches.

I’ve completely uninstalled and reinstalled the game at least 3 times and it doesn’t solve this problem.

Does anyone know a real fix for this issue?

Edit: I’ve confirmed that it’s definitely caused by ArcDPS. Deleting the .dll file does solve the issue. However, many people are using the same ArcDPS without issues. My problem began around the time I changed my GW2 installation path from OneDrive to C:/Program Files. Could this be why it’s acting differently?

Try installing the game in a different folder. For some reason, installing it game in Program Files can cause issues.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1