I've joined the ranks

andyMak.6985

Started core tyria as ele and thief, 

Been reaper since Hot and now want a change

Yesterday i created a ranger, got lal pets and hopped on a train and got souldbeast and half druid unlocked

Im mixed on the class for now, i like it and love having pets and soul beast looks very fun and interesting

i play mainly solo so went for it with pets for survivabilty, which is why i stayed reaper for the 2nd heath bar. saved me alot

With soulbeast, is there a fun mix of animals? something that lets you just around or do crazy fun stuff?

What do you guys play with?

If you want to play with the pet then I'd stick with Druid or if you have it, Untamed.  

Soulbeast is powerful, however as a brief overview, you don't do too much with the pet out--even in competitive you would just use it for say smoke field and merge again.  In PvE you pretty much just stay perma-merged.  

2 hours ago, andyMak.6985 said:

play mainly solo so went for it with pets for survivabilty, which is why i stayed reaper for the 2nd heath bar. saved me alot

So, Theres a neat trait that can give you regen over time for soulbeast. Natural Regen allows you to benefit the pets regen which is nice for survivblity, However.
When you merge with your pet you don't have a pet to tank for you, if this is mainly for pve you can still play SB with the pet its just dependent on the situation.

2 hours ago, andyMak.6985 said:

With soulbeast, is there a fun mix of animals? something that lets you just around or do crazy fun stuff?

Turtle is a very interesting option, if you are opting for hybrid you can benefit from its protection before merging, taking WS heals you per second of protection. Ontop of that if you take boon enhancement and Heal as One. You can buff the hell of your pet, then gain its boons and then heal as one to gain double the boon stacks and duration. With Quickness you can extend all boons by 2 seconds, managing this you can indefinitely keep boons up as long as you have ways to gain quickness from something.... anything really. I honestly recommend toying around with it and trying it out before fully commit to that.

I was mixed on rangers for quite some time myself. Unlocked Untamed and it's starting to feel rather nice, just have to get used to swapping power back and forth with my pet. Running a pretty vanilla setup with celestial gear and dagger/torch /w shortbow. lots of fun for goofing around and I can tackle most champs I come across. 

On 1/16/2024 at 2:05 AM, andyMak.6985 said:

What do you guys play with?

If it's fun we're talking about - oh yes.
For example you can do a slum dunk build with right pets.

Grab yourself a versatile pet and a ferocious one.
Merge with Versatile one, use it's Prelude Lash to pull in mobs around you.
Then swap to ferocious pet (when merged) and slam'em with Wordly Impact. 

Ofc that wouldn't be much fun without big beefy numbers on it.
So grab yourself marksmanship trait line. Moment of Clarity and Remorseless are your friends.
Interrupted a mob with Prelude Lash? Now Wordly impact hits for 50% damage more because Moment of Clarity.
Oh? Did you just squeeze a fury in there somewhere? (like from Two Handed Training or Live Fast traits).
That's 100% crit chance and 25% more damage for your next attack (Remorseless).

While Your merged beast skills are down, sword and greatsword will keep you entertained with big numbers.
Ofc there's a lot of setup and doing things very proper to actually achieve desired results... but yeah. It's fun!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just started playing untamed a few days ago.  It's pretty fun and quite strong for solo play.  So far, this is what I've come up with for a build.  It feels pretty good.  Great burst, able to do 25k DPS on a champ solo, CC for days, but it doesn't feel flimsy (except when I get stunned...but I could just take a stunbreak).