reshade and UI, anyone have it working well?

hey gang!

happy new year all! i'll try to keep it short but sweet, i've recently been getting back into GW2 in a heavy way, binged it hard recently and i'm having a blast,

i've got a meaty new PC so i'm able to run reshade and make the game look amazing, the only problem is that reshade makes the UI difficult to see [example]

with things like depth of field and bloom effect it, i did see an old guide which went through step by step on how to get reshade to skip the UI layer

and this seemed PERFECT, exactly what i was looking for! but alas, it seems to have been for DX11, i've followed the guide and it doesn't seem to be working on the newer DX12 GW2.

so my question is simple, has anyone got reshade to skip the UI like in that reddit thread above?

i see there are some guides to draw squares over the UI which won't be effected by the shaders, but imho that would just look bad, so i'm trying to find a way to make the reshade skip the UI layer.

thanks!

EDIT: as many have pointed out GW2 still uses DX11 and not 12! doh!

and after much tinkering i managed to get reshade to skip the UI!

turns out i was missing a pretty important file from download! 😅

thanks for people who responded and let me know it was still DX11!

Edited by Liewec.2896
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Liewec.2896 said:

hey gang!

happy new year all! i'll try to keep it short but sweet, i've recently been getting back into GW2 in a heavy way, binged it hard recently and i'm having a blast,

i've got a meaty new PC so i'm able to run reshade and make the game look amazing, the only problem is that reshade makes the UI difficult to see [example]

with things like depth of field and bloom effect it, i did see an old guide which went through step by step on how to get reshade to skip the UI layer

and this seemed PERFECT, exactly what i was looking for! but alas, it seems to have been for DX11, i've followed the guide and it doesn't seem to be working on the newer DX12 GW2.

so my question is simple, has anyone got reshade to skip the UI like in that reddit thread above?

i see there are some guides to draw squares over the UI which won't be effected by the shaders, but imho that would just look bad, so i'm trying to find a way to make the reshade skip the UI layer.

thanks!

Try to see if you change size on UI elements will make text easier to read. Fonts change when you use another size for UI. The range is from small to larger in Interface Size (look at image in link).

These settings are also depending on DPI scaling. There is box you tick to turn it on of off.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Options#Graphics_Options

Your main issue here is that there is very little control for text in UI as you would probably have easier time to see text if there where an outline for text (each font have a dark section around the white part or reverse).

There is no control in game for setting up a background only for that part of UI which could be controlled with a slider for transparency (meaning that you would be able to see background as much as you would like or use a solid block behind UI text).

The best option would be if ArenaNet would make it possible to change text colour between black or white text depending if it is bright or dark rendering in that area or make use of a background that can be turn on or off the same way that one can with chat.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

turns out i was being a big dumb dumb, IT WORKS!

i was missing one of the main files! 😅if anyone else wants to get reshade working without the UI

and you followed the guide you might be missing the "ReshadeEffectShaderToggler.addon"

from the github, you need to click "releases" on the right!

thanks again folks!

Edited by Liewec.2896
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Liewec.2896 said:

1. GW2 is using DX11, not DX12.
2. ReShade should not be doing what we see in your screenshot (example).

1 hour ago, Liewec.2896 said:

turns out i was being a big dumb dumb, IT WORKS!

Okay, ignore the above then. 😉

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3