Ranger, Guardian, Necromancer, or Warrior

YVictory.6840

Hi all. 

After completing my latest playthroughs on my Ravenent and Thief, I'd like to try something new. Since I prefer to play a single character at a time (for RP reasons), I'd like your input regarding Ranger, Guardian, Necromancer, and Warrior.

I'm looking for a strong class with great visuals and mobility (I already have a Mesmer) that would be useful in both open-world and group content. My ideas are as such:

A Merlin-like Soulbeast/Druid Sylvari to tie to the whole Celtic and Arthurian vibe of that race, a prophetess-like firebrand, a Hades-themed Necromancer, and a martial artist warrior/spartan with a staff (once it's out).

Which would you choose and why? I'm not overly interested in PVP, but I am not opposed to trying it.

Thanks in advance 😁 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, YVictory.6840 said:

I'm looking for a strong class with great visuals and mobility (I already have a Mesmer) that would be useful in both open-world and group content.

Well, we could have a problem here.

"Strong" and "great visuals" can be subjective but mobility is hard to argue about. Ranger  and Warrior have good mobility, Guardian mobility outside Willbender sucks and Necromancer is oks (better in Harbinger). I think that in visuals both Guardian (WB) and Necro (Reaper) really shine, tho. In general, any profession ot named Thief is useful at open world and group content (Firebrand has tools for everything, Druid is and excellent support, Warrior... uhmm... errr...).

• Like 2

Necro would be the most versitile.

The celestial reaper is one of the highest solo pve builds for survivability and damage. Matched with celestial herald / vindi.

You can also barrier alac scourge and be near unkillable in pve. 
However necro generally has bad mobility. Its the trade off for the reapers extra health pool and scourge's amazing barriers. You are a spunge not so much high mobility. Oposite of daredevil.

You can dps with reaper and support with scourge so you're pretty set for group content like fractals. 

The big factor is the mobility. However I would also say it has the highest self survival in pve. If you want the feel of a classic tank.... you can get it from necro.

Depends on your definition of "great visuals".
Take Warrior and Guardian for example.

Guardian is shiny and will drop blue/holy zones all around with flashy weapon skills and even summoned weapons to help him.
But once he grabs a hammer... it looks like Harry Potter trying to use one. It's a miracle your character doesn't break their own back trying to swing it.

On the other hand you have a warrior. There's next to no flashiness in his skills.
No streaks of light, glowing fields, or magic of any kind.
But when you grab a Hammer the animations are BRUTAL.
You feel the POWER, when you leap and slam that kitten down craters get made.

So it's up to you to decide here. Ranger falls more into Warrior territory, necro guardian's though necro's mobility is pretty bad.

• Like 1

Hear me brother, do you wish to chase the embodiment of power? To pursue the pure path of savagery? To embrace violence in its unadulterated, righteous form? If night makes right, then to be warrior is eternally right. 

My brother, cast aside the flacid magics of the lesser professions and plant your feet firm in the soil spread wide, deep enough that your balls scrape the floor, and begin swinging thine sword until thy forearms ripple with every motion, until your back grows large enough to shadow your enemies when you stand before them, until your legs become girthier than the trunks of the Pale Trees and your feet like roots that penetrate the bedrock.

So you wish to know what profession you should take? Which role you should fulfill? No! Forsake professions. Acquire the strength to transcend the limits of this game and be the role you wish to be!  

• Like 4

8 hours ago, oscuro.9720 said:

Hear me brother, do you wish to chase the embodiment of power? To pursue the pure path of savagery? To embrace violence in its unadulterated, righteous form? If night makes right, then to be warrior is eternally right. 

My brother, cast aside the flacid magics of the lesser professions and plant your feet firm in the soil spread wide, deep enough that your balls scrape the floor, and begin swinging thine sword until thy forearms ripple with every motion, until your back grows large enough to shadow your enemies when you stand before them, until your legs become girthier than the trunks of the Pale Trees and your feet like roots that penetrate the bedrock.

So you wish to know what profession you should take? Which role you should fulfill? No! Forsake professions. Acquire the strength to transcend the limits of this game and be the role you wish to be!  

This is the Way.

Warrior. It has mobility, some great survivability, and you can pretty much do everything in the game with one (ask me how I know 😉).

Now, if you were looking for flashy, then Bladesworn and Berserker get some flashy skills. I would recommend Berserker.