Treasure Hunter Achievement no longer relevant - Enchanted Treasure Chest not accessible to all guests

1 minute ago, Ashen.2907 said:

That is a pretty big if as the hypothetical is not correct.

The quote I used literally had the poster say that nobody needs it and people would be better off doing something else. I don't understand what you're trying to say here. Do you personally believe the Enchanted Treasure Chest is a good reward? If so, could you elaborate on why, please? I'm genuinely curious if anyone has gone out and gotten this and not felt it a poor use of their time or money.

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

16 hours ago, FinnTheOwl.6435 said:

The appeal of Home Instance Nodes is the ability for a player to invest large amounts of personal time or currency in order to then be able to generously share the rewards of that investment with other players

This is true for me.

Although sharing with others is not THE reason but it definitely motivated me to go ahead and acquire a full home instance.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, FinnTheOwl.6435 said:

The quote I used literally had the poster say that nobody needs it and people would be better off doing something else. I don't understand what you're trying to say here. Do you personally believe the Enchanted Treasure Chest is a good reward? If so, could you elaborate on why, please? I'm genuinely curious if anyone has gone out and gotten this and not felt it a poor use of their time or money.

I responded to the post that I quoted which expressed a hypothetical "if irrefutably bad."

That hypothetical is not correct because the achieve/reward is not irrefutably bad.

By definition anyone who has completed the achievement has shown that the reward was good enough for them to spend the time and/or gold. 

The reward would not be sufficient to tempt me because I care little for AP and do not use my (or others') home instance. I am sure that still others would find the achievement more worth pursuing if the rewards were increased (1000 ap + 500g?) but that does not mean that the existing rewards are universally bad as proven by the fact that some people considered them worthwhile.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

8 hours ago, Ashen.2907 said:

The reward would not be sufficient to tempt me because I care little for AP and do not use my (or others') home instance. I am sure that still others would find the achievement more worth pursuing if the rewards were increased (1000 ap + 500g?) but that does not mean that the existing rewards are universally bad as proven by the fact that some people considered them worthwhile.

Let me put it that way. I am a compulsive completionist, and have kited out my home instance with everything i could think of (including the cats). This achievement however still remains unfinished. It's that bad.

• Like 3
  • Confused 4

5 hours ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Let me put it that way. I am a compulsive completionist, and have kited out my home instance with everything i could think of (including the cats). This achievement however still remains unfinished. It's that bad.

Well get to it then mate.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 2

As someone who has the Enchanted Chest in my home, I am a little sad that I can't really share it with the randos I pull in at reset because it's highly likely that very few have the same achievement. I enjoy sharing my home nodes, it doesn't hurt me to do and I do some other players a solid. I wouldn't mind seeing it changed so that anyone can loot it, but if it hasn't been after all this time I don't expect it ever will be.

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

22 hours ago, Ashen.2907 said:

By definition anyone who has completed the achievement has shown that the reward was good enough for them to spend the time and/or gold. 

... but that does not mean that the existing rewards are universally bad as proven by the fact that some people considered them worthwhile.

I assume your argument is one of simple semantics and pedantry - you also agree the reward is bad, you just don't agree with me calling it irrefutably bad? I suppose that word-choice on my part was somewhat hyperbolic, yes. Fair enough. I've been a pedant myself many a time. Point taken.
If I were to assume you brought up the point for purposes outside that, though... I suppose your argument would be that the reward must have some value because people have gotten it? If I've interpreted that correctly, I'm sorry to say that is a logical fallacy. Just because people got this achievement does not equate to the achievement being good. And just because someone got a thing doesn't equate to that being an endorsement from that person about the quality of the thing they got.
The best way of finding evidence to support your argument would be you starting a poll of players who have the Enchanted Treasure Chest to see whether they believe the achievement was worth getting and whether they think it's bad or good.  But... Seeing how everyone in this thread who has the achievement has acknowledged its faults, and nobody seems to be trying to claim it's actually a good achievement and reward... I feel justified in my hyperbole stating it's irrefutably bad.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, FinnTheOwl.6435 said:

you also agree the reward is bad,

No I do not. You might want to stick with expressing what you believe rather than making false claims about others' beliefs.

And the only evidence needed to support my assertion that some people found the achievement sufficiently worth their while is that some people did in fact choose to pursue the achievement. No one forced them. 

Edited by Ashen.2907
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Ashen.2907 said:

No I do not. You might want to stick with expressing what you believe rather than making false claims about others' beliefs.

And the only evidence needed to support my assertion that some people found the achievement sufficiently worth their while is that some people did in fact choose to pursue the achievement. No one forced them. 

Apologies if I was unclear - I was attempting to re-express what I believed your argument was using my own words in order to better verify if we were on the same page. I wasn't trying to put words in your mouth. I interpreted your statement that you did not desire to go for the achievement yourself as you agreeing with that. Thank you for clarifying.
Also, I believe you have misinterpreted my other point - I was trying to point out the flawed logic you're using.
However, as I do not believe I can express the flaw in the logic any more clearly than I did in my prior post, I will simply leave it at that.

Edited by FinnTheOwl.6435
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3

Just now, FinnTheOwl.6435 said:

Apologies if I was unclear - I was attempting to re-express what I believed your argument was using my own words in order to better verify if we were on the same page. I wasn't trying to put words in your mouth. I interpreted your statement that you did not desire to go for the achievement yourself as you agreeing with that. Thank you for clarifying.
I believe you have also misinterpreted my other point - I was trying to point out the flawed logic you're using.
However, as I do not believe I can express the flaw in the logic any more clearly than I did in my prior post, I will simply leave it at that.

My lack of interest in something, an achievement for example, is not an indication that said something is bad. I dislike polka music, that does not make polka music bad.

There was no logical flaw. When dealing with completely optional things such as an achievement the decision to pursue it is evidence, proof actually, that the individual found the reward worth the time/effort. There is no other reason, beyond someone accidentally getting the achievement I suppose, for that individual to put in the effort. The individual saw the effort, saw the reward, and chose to put in the effort.

Obviously this would be a different matter entirely if the pursued item was in some way mandatory. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, Ashen.2907 said:

There was no logical flaw. When dealing with completely optional things such as an achievement the decision to pursue it is evidence, proof actually, that the individual found the reward worth the time/effort. There is no other reason, beyond someone accidentally getting the achievement I suppose, for that individual to put in the effort. The individual saw the effort, saw the reward, and chose to put in the effort.

The amount of people who do something has no direct correlation with the quality of the thing. It's quite literally a logical fallacy; most commonly called the Bandwagon Fallacy though it has many other names. People do many things for many reasons, and it's wrong to assume just because people do something, that thing must be good. It simply means people did the thing. That is all.

People find value in watching bad films. They would still agree the films are bad.  An achievement hunter 100%ing a game does not mean they believe every achievement in that game is good. People can find value in things which are bad. And people can do things they don't find value in.

...But at this point, we are off-topic, discussing semantics and pedantry which doesn't matter to the initial post's topic.
As I said, if your issue is simply with me using the phrase "irrefutably bad", point taken. I was exaggerating. I cannot realistically prove nobody in history who has gotten this achievement believes it is good and without faults. You are correct. Bad is subjective to begin with, and nothing subjective can possibly be irrefutable by the very nature of the term. I apologize for not making my position on that more clear from the start of this conversation. You were correct that I misused that word.
I do not believe I have anything further to say on this matter in specific; thank you for being civil and putting up with my long-winded, wordy manner of speaking.

Edited by FinnTheOwl.6435
  • Confused 1

Owning the enchanted treasure chest is a basically like owning the "I'm rich you know" title, besides getting a little over 10 silver every day you open it. The only fix needed is fixing the required events that are known to keep breaking.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, DaFishBob.6518 said:

Owning the enchanted treasure chest is a basically like owning the "I'm rich you know" title, besides getting a little over 10 silver every day you open it.

In that case allowing other players to open it would further that function even more. "i'm rich, you know" title is pretty much meaningless as a prestige if you don't flaunt it, after all.

• Confused 4