World eploration & alts

Please let us explore the world again on the same character, I love the exploration part of the game, but I'm not an alt guy. If I had a way to reset the exploration from 100% to 0% on my main character, that could give me so many hours of gameplay.

Edited by Alastor.3054
  • Like 6
  • Confused 6

There is almost a 0 chance that this gets implemented.

Not because it's a bad idea, but because:

1. we are talking soon 13 year old content, any changes here might break stuff and require a lot of unnecessary developer hours

2. there is a new system for just that in place: lighting lanterns/lamps in more recent content

3. it's almost entirely unnecessary given alt characters achieve the same result and the amount of players which are so fixated on their "main" and unwilling to use another character is likely very small

4. it's a minor incentive to sell character slots, for players which wish to world complete core but not delete characters

So your best approach is to find a way to overcome your "I only play my main" approach (dunno, maybe role-play as an offspring or something).

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Cyninja.2954 said:

So your best approach is to find a way to overcome your "I only play my main" approach (dunno, maybe role-play as an offspring or something).

From this advise may I suggest creating a "copy" of your main? Other than the name you can create everything to be the same. You could even put your current gear on the clone once it reaches level 80. Just remember to put it back on your main as required and don't delete the copy without moving everything back first.

Edited by Dibit.6259
  • Like 3

The only hope would be for anet to add a massive 1000+ lamp systems. I think there would be major challenges with this systems because either it would be a single MASSIVE achievment, or a book of acheivements that do not reset until the entire book is complete. The only acheivement that I know that works that way is the rusted keys underwater chests for swimming infusions.

Edit: Thought of another example of the book system, the varient system of the gen 3 legendaries.

Edited by Shadowmoon.7986
  • Confused 2

The most they're likely to do is add something like the lamps in EoD and SotO maps, since that's basically what they're for (specifically they're a way to make multiple legendaries without needing to create alts purely to do map completion).

If they did that and made core Tyria hearts repeatable (with the vendor always available after you've done it once) and made hero challenges repeatable (without giving more points, like the ones in expansion maps) that would pretty much give you the experience of doing map completion again. But it seems unlikely they would do that since I don't think there's much demand for it.

• Like 1

Dude, alts are literally where the replay value is. Step out of your comfort zone and play a different class for once. Sure, you'll feel a little uncomfortable at first with the differences in play style, but that's called growth and it's a good thing. Stop limiting yourself. You are your own worst enemy.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

You really can create just copy of your main character with the number like Henry VIII Tudor. If you go for world completicion that is even better as you will get hero points faster while leveling, and if you are anti alts then you have so many slots for clones.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, xvalkyrie.6742 said:

By not having alts for however long you've been playing, even as just storage or for crafting (so you don't have to get the crafting limit upgrade) you're missing out on all those birthday gifts! Think of the free dyes! lol 

I have lots of hot waifu bank alts, and that is one of the many reasons why I don't like to play alts. Can you imagine having an inventory full of random things and trying to play while also not having all the bag slots unlocked? Hell.

• Confused 3

On 3/19/2024 at 5:01 AM, Shadowmoon.7986 said:

The only hope would be for anet to add a massive 1000+ lamp systems. I think there would be major challenges with this systems because either it would be a single MASSIVE achievment, or a book of acheivements that do not reset until the entire book is complete. The only acheivement that I know that works that way is the rusted keys underwater chests for swimming infusions.

Edit: Thought of another example of the book system, the varient system of the gen 3 legendaries.

Or... you could just put one MASSIVE LAMP on top of the worst nightmare JP imaginable, which could put Chalice of Tears to utter shame and call it a day.

jk.  🤪

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

I confess I cannot relate to your request at all, OP, since I have (and enjoy) more alts than I know what to do with. 

As others suggested, you are kind of gimping yourself and your account a bit by not having at least some with which to collect things, store items, get bday gifts from, park at chests, etc. 

The game world also does give you some really different experiences when you approach the content on totally different professions, let alone help you understand much better what roles in groups can be, as well as teach you to better recognize opponent player skills in pvp (if you play that mode), so there is really no downside to having alts.  I would always encourage people to try them before your suggestion.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Surelia.2651 said:

The game world also does give you some really different experiences when you approach the content on totally different professions, let alone help you understand much better what roles in groups can be, as well as teach you to better recognize opponent player skills in pvp (if you play that mode), so there is really no downside to having alts.  I would always encourage people to try them before your suggestion.

I don't play PvP, so I don't care about other class skills and my guardian is a very flexible class, it can do pdps/cdps/qdps/qheal/aheal/adps good enough for t4 fracs/strikes. And about the account gimping part, I already said that I have lots of bank alts.

• Confused 2

I have a character slot specifically set aside to do map completion. I typically run her 2 to 3 times a year (I craft legendary weapons to sell). I use the Tomes of Knowledge (from WvW) to boost her to 80 and have a set of ascended I reuse. You could do the same if you want a clone of your main.

4 hours ago, dbill.7483 said:

I have a character slot specifically set aside to do map completion. I typically run her 2 to 3 times a year (I craft legendary weapons to sell). I use the Tomes of Knowledge (from WvW) to boost her to 80 and have a set of ascended I reuse. You could do the same if you want a clone of your main.

I would do this as well except for the hearts. I don't know how you can stand doing all the hearts 2-3 times per year but I am impressed.

• Like 1

The best you could hope for is for Anet to introduce the Lantern system for older maps. Which is far more likely for HoT and PoF ones than for core (gift per single map, instead of gift for whole set). And even for those it's not that likely to happen. They won;t be going back to older content when they seem to lack resources even for new one.

• Like 2
  • Confused 4

21 hours ago, Entara.3075 said:

I would do this as well except for the hearts. I don't know how you can stand doing all the hearts 2-3 times per year but I am impressed.

Yeah, the hearts are tough.  The way I get around it is I do an assembly line type thing. 

First, I run map completion except for hearts on 3 characters (that takes a weekend), then each week I do a different map hearts on just one of the characters.  I pick different areas for each, usually opposite sides of the continent.  This process takes about 9 months or so but when I'm done I don't have to do it for another year.   

• Thanks 1