Not a big thing but ... why?

Just finished Suffusing my first 2 pieces of Obsidian Armor.

It puts a consumable skin in your inventory ... why?

If you made this, you already have legendary armor for that slot. You can already apply skins for free.
And a consumable skin doesn't even get consumed when trying to apply it to a legendary.

And of course, deleting it requires typing the full 5-word name to confirm that I really want to delete this skin that has no purpose.

Who at anet thought this makes any kind of sense?

(Also bit annoyed that the unsheath glow-up effect isn't tied to the same dye channel as the glowing runes. So you're forced to have a white glow-up no matter what color you dye your glowy runes.)

• Like 16
  • Confused 3

So people can see they actually received something for those who have to have a physical item?  No clue, it's a reasonable question.  Seems unnecessary and *sigh* one more thing to type fully out to delete.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Funky.4861 said:

This is exactly the same for all the aurene legendary weapon variants. I guess you can use the skin on an alt who doesn't have access to it otherwise.

well, if you have obsidian armor, there is no alt that would not have access to any skin you have unlocked :P

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Just now, Trejgon.9367 said:

well, if you have obsidian armor, there is no alt that would not have access to any skin you have unlocked 😛

If your alt is under level 80, they only way to apply the skin is by transmog not the armoury so it does have a use for alts under the 80 cap -- if you have any.  If not, then no there is no use for it on a level 80 character on the same account.

• Like 3

Just now, Surelia.2651 said:

If your alt is under level 80, they only way to apply the skin is by transmog not the armoury so it does have a use for alts under the 80 cap -- if you have any.  If not, then no there is no use for it on a level 80 character on the same account.

that is a fair notion, I forgot armory had that restriction going on, since it's been ages since I had sub80 character on the account :)

• Confused 1

10 hours ago, Chyro.1462 said:

And of course, deleting it requires typing the full 5-word name to confirm that I really want to delete this skin that has no purpose.

Increasingly my reaction to the decisions made by ArenaNet is:

1. Apply palm to forehead.

2. Sigh. 

Seriously ArenaNet. 

• Confused 4

22 hours ago, Chyro.1462 said:

(Also bit annoyed that the unsheath glow-up effect isn't tied to the same dye channel as the glowing runes. So you're forced to have a white glow-up no matter what color you dye your glowy runes.)

This probably isn't a good solution, but I guess if you really dislike the "rune cloud" as I call it, you can wear a slumbering rune on the chest piece, since the suffused chest is the only piece in the set which triggers it.  I know that means forgoing the effect entirely, but at least you would not see it if's not to your liking anyway.  Something to consider.  

I do wish too they had allowed for us to colour it as we wish but... can't have everything. 🤷‍♀️

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Surelia.2651 said:

This probably isn't a good solution, but I guess if you really dislike the "rune cloud" as I call it, you can wear a slumbering rune on the chest piece, since the suffused chest is the only piece in the set which triggers it.  I know that means forgoing the effect entirely, but at least you would not see it if's not to your liking anyway.  Something to consider.  

I do wish too they had allowed for us to colour it as we wish but... can't have everything. 🤷‍♀️

Yeah, I'm not even using the chest piece at least on medium armor. But the gloves still have a white flash glow when entering combat, regardless of rune color. Not sure if every armor piece has that, only suffused two parts so far and didn't pay attention to the boots.

• Confused 1

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Chyro.1462 said:

Yeah, I'm not even using the chest piece at least on medium armor. But the gloves still have a white flash glow when entering combat, regardless of rune color. Not sure if every armor piece has that, only suffused two parts so far and didn't pay attention to the boots.

I just tested this on my medium set.  The rune cloud for me is triggered only by the chest piece, so unless it's somehow random per player, I would test that again to be sure.  Remove any suffused pieces you have and try each one.  For me, the chest was the only was that triggers it; same on heavy and light sets.

Edited by Surelia.2651

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, Surelia.2651 said:

I just tested this on my medium set.  The rune cloud for me is triggered only by the chest piece, so unless it's somehow random per player, I would test that again to be sure.  Remove any suffused pieces you have and try each one.  For me, the chest was the only was that triggers it; same on heavy and light sets.

Not talking about the big rune cloud. There's a white flash of light around the gloves when you enter combat too, similar to the rune cloud just without runes. The boots have it too, but very faint. It's not as big and obvious as the rune cloud explosion on the chest piece. Just noticeable that this flash of light doesn't match the rune color and is always white. Look closely at the gloves/boots (or any other non-chest piece) and you'll see a white flash of light when you unsheathe.

(though on the off chance that this is somehow different on other races/gender, was testing it on my male charr - medium armor)

Edited by Chyro.1462
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Chyro.1462 said:

Not talking about the big rune cloud. There's a white flash of light around the gloves when you enter combat too, similar to the rune cloud just without runes. The boots have it too, but very faint. It's not as big and obvious as the rune cloud explosion on the chest piece. Just noticeable that this flash of light doesn't match the rune color and is always white. Look closely at the gloves/boots (or any other non-chest piece) and you'll see a white flash of light when you unsheathe.

(though on the off chance that this is somehow different on other races/gender, was testing it on my male charr - medium armor)

It's simply not there for me, sorry.  My chars are Sylvari, Asura and Charr.  On my Charr this only happens with the chest, so not sure what is going on then.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Surelia.2651 said:

It's simply not there for me, sorry.  My chars are Sylvari, Asura and Charr.  On my Charr this only happens with the chest, so not sure what is going on then.

https://imgur.com/a/wh7JGd4

Maybe some graphics settings have it not visible?
Also what's with the confused emojis on every post of mine. Isn't the white glow clearly visible in the gif?

Edited by Chyro.1462
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Chyro.1462 said:

https://imgur.com/a/wh7JGd4

Maybe some graphics settings have it not visible?
Also what's with the confused emojis on every post of mine. Isn't the white glow clearly visible in the gif?

I am not marking your posts with any emojis, so can't speak to that.  

My settings are not missing anything either, as I am on high end system.  I do have legendary weapons on and several infusions however, as well as a full suffused set so it's not so easy to see ONLY a white glow when unsheathing a weapon.  I removed the chest piece, my infusions, and changed the weapon skins to non leggy to test it.  The white glow is way more visible, you are right. 

Again, I think the only solution for now would be to wear the slumbering version of the armour, so you have the rune glow with colours you want but without the effects you don't want; not a great solution I know. 

Maybe they will address this in a future update.

• Like 1