Why aren't WvW siege skins a thing we can buy!!

I would really like Anet to make jade mech skins, just because I don't like seeing so many of those awful looking things.  (I don't even play engineer)

There are just some things mmos refuse to make skins for, we may never know why.

• Confused 2

11 minutes ago, AngelMouse.7345 said:

Didn't the siege have Halloween skins during the event many years ago? They threw pumpkins. I couldn't find anything online about it so maybe it's the mandela effect. 

We had Wintersday Dolyaks and Catapults shooting presents on the first Wintersday, IIRC ... but not on Halloween. Searching for proof and will link it, if successful. That's where the whole idea of having siege skins was born (many years ago).

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, Gorani.7205 said:

We had Wintersday Dolyaks and Catapults shooting presents on the first Wintersday, IIRC ... but not on Halloween. Searching for proof and will link it, if successful. That's where the whole idea of having siege skins was born (many years ago).

Ok, so I found a reddit thread that says the Wintersday skins in WvW still work IF you don't have any masteries. Interesting.  My point was though, that since this existed then doing gemstore skins should be doable 🙂

Edited by AngelMouse.7345
Clarification
  • Like 1

Ok, so I found a reddit thread that says the Wintersday skins in WvW still work IF you don't have any masteries. Interesting.  My point was though, that since this existed then doing gemstore skins should be doable 🙂 

WvW players suggested dolly skins for camps held and guards with guild skins (for towers and keeps) in addition to siege skins for quite a while. It has just never been picked up by the Devs (alongside other ideas, suggestions and critique).

• Like 1

I'd say the reason probably is the same why we don't get skins for mechs, pets, minions or skills. In competitive game modes you need to be able to recognize what you're enemy is doing/wielding/setting up. The moment you start introducing skins for these things you open a can of worms you can't ever close. You need to keep selling skins and with every skin it will become harder and harder to distinguish things from eachother. And the farther away from your original style your skins move, the harder it will get. Sure at first your catapult skins may look like variations of catapults, but let the idea progress a few years and your catapults look like ambulances or circus baloons that shoot pigs in tutus. No one who doesn't study the forty plus skins that exist for each siege at that point will be able to tell the anime bear being built from the photorealistic volcano, not until it's too late. In competitive game modes you need to be able to tell within seconds what's going on and fancy skins don't help with that.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Omega.6801 said:

....The moment you start introducing skins for these things you open a can of worms you can't ever close. You need to keep selling skins and with every skin it will become harder and harder to distinguish things from eachother. And the farther away from your original style your skins move, the harder it will get...   No one who doesn't study the forty plus skins that exist for each siege at that point will be able to tell the anime bear being built from the photorealistic volcano, not until it's too late. In competitive game modes you need to be able to tell within seconds what's going on and fancy skins don't help with that.

Just curious on your opinion about the staff skins that look like spears and the upcoming release of actual spears.  Do you believe that staff wielding classes will have an advantage if opponents think a player is wielding a spear when they are not?  Of course a player could weapon swap between the two.  Or even go staff/staff but one has a spear-like skin.  

Do you imagine that opponents will make fatal mistakes because of this?

15 hours ago, Omega.6801 said:

I'd say the reason probably is the same why we don't get skins for mechs, pets, minions or skills. In competitive game modes you need to be able to recognize what you're enemy is doing/wielding/setting up. The moment you start introducing skins for these things you open a can of worms you can't ever close. You need to keep selling skins and with every skin it will become harder and harder to distinguish things from eachother. And the farther away from your original style your skins move, the harder it will get. Sure at first your catapult skins may look like variations of catapults, but let the idea progress a few years and your catapults look like ambulances or circus baloons that shoot pigs in tutus. No one who doesn't study the forty plus skins that exist for each siege at that point will be able to tell the anime bear being built from the photorealistic volcano, not until it's too late. In competitive game modes you need to be able to tell within seconds what's going on and fancy skins don't help with that.

its already possible to turn "Standard Enemy Models" on or off. so this can be easily solved.

others competitive games already have vehicle skins,...

also something like this can be used as a advantage in competitive games, like having a camouflaged catapults,...

17 hours ago, Zebulous.2934 said:

Just curious on your opinion about the staff skins that look like spears and the upcoming release of actual spears.  Do you believe that staff wielding classes will have an advantage if opponents think a player is wielding a spear when they are not?  Of course a player could weapon swap between the two.  Or even go staff/staff but one has a spear-like skin.  

I think this could become a problem indeed, depending on the tells. In GW2 the skill animations usually are more telling than the weapon animation though so maybe that will mitigate most of it.

2 hours ago, Chaos God.1639 said:

its already possible to turn "Standard Enemy Models" on or off. so this can be easily solved.

others competitive games already have vehicle skins,...

also something like this can be used as a advantage in competitive games, like having a camouflaged catapults,...

Standard enemy models could mitigate this but would also work against selling the fancy skins. Also standard enemy models are ugly so not every one wants to look at those either.

Other ompetitive games work in other ways, ...

That it can be used as an advantage was my point. Using a gemshop skin as an advantage would be a push towards pay to win, which this game should never do, imho.

On 6/7/2024 at 9:24 PM, Zebulous.2934 said:

It might affect competitive modes for some people but the main reason I don't think they're going to do it because they're skins that belong to an existing weapon type and therefore they'd have to copy the skin to another weapon type. They won't apply this retroactively and I think that a lot of people will feel cheated to pay for the same skin twice or chase the same skin twice as part of a weapon collection.

Lets just make a reminder that Anet has failed to fix the mesh a ~2x2x4 meter box shaped wall section that already exists on 2 out of 4 tiers of  garrison keep on DBL...

FOR THE PAST 7+ YEARS. 

That's how interested in WvW Anet truly is. Nobody even remembers if it was like this from the launch of DBL or if it was a bug introduced later.

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

Lets just make a reminder that Anet has failed to fix the mesh a ~2x2x4 meter box shaped wall section that already exists on 2 out of 4 tiers of  garrison keep on DBL...

FOR THE PAST 7+ YEARS. 

That's how interested in WvW Anet truly is. Nobody even remembers if it was like this from the launch of DBL or if it was a bug introduced later.

My theory is that the people who designed and crafted the WvW maps have all disappeared by now and the people who are in charge of WvW don't know what to do because of the way it was coded and everything they try to change to the maps themselves ends up in instant disaster. Either that or what you said.