Retroactive addition of spear skins

Do you think that spear skins will be added to current weapon sets that dont have it? There are many spear skins which exist in game files and even used by NPCs (dragonsblood spear would be the best example) which only have to be implemented. And it's not like adding them would be helping only those who have the new expansion since all players can already use spears.

• Confused 3

25 minutes ago, andreiblue.8231 said:

Do you think that spear skins will be added to current weapon sets that dont have it? There are many spear skins which exist in game files and even used by NPCs (dragonsblood spear would be the best example) which only have to be implemented. And it's not like adding them would be helping only those who have the new expansion since all players can already use spears.

No they answer this in the blogpost about spears already.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/straight-to-the-point-a-primer-on-spears-in-janthir-wilds/

Q: Which spear skins can I use on land?

A: All current spear skins will be able to be used on land. We also plan on adding spear skins with all future weapon skin collections.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

Just now, Linken.6345 said:

No they answer this in the blogpost about spears already.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/straight-to-the-point-a-primer-on-spears-in-janthir-wilds/

A: All current spear skins will be able to be used on land. We also plan on adding spear skins with all future weapon skin collections.

This doesnt deny that they wont add them to any of the old collections though, just that new ones will have it. I think a lot of people want the dragonsblood spear for example. Besides this there are many staff skins which fit the spear and there will be a lot of demand for this from players.

• Like 3
  • Confused 5

2 hours ago, andreiblue.8231 said:

Do you think that spear skins will be added to current weapon sets that dont have it?

Not a chance in the world. Wich is very sad, which is a reason why another round of Weapon Masteries would have been better and land Spears are a half baked idea.

• Like 2
  • Confused 6

If a spear skin already exists but is unavailable to players they might make it available, especially ones like the Voltaic Spear which used to be available and lost their only acquisition method when the PvP reward system was updated. Other items in the same situation were added back into the game, like all the armour sets in the Legacy Armor Box, but I think that was after players kept asking for them back and most people didn't care enough about spears until now to ask for them.

I don't think they'll create spear skins for every weapon set which is missing them, because that would be a huge amount of work, but adding a way to unlock skins which already exist would be a relatively quick way to increase the number of skins without having to create a load of new models.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Danikat.8537 said:

If a spear skin already exists but is unavailable to players they might make it available, especially ones like the Voltaic Spear which used to be available and lost their only acquisition method when the PvP reward system was updated.

That spear at least shares it's skin with another that can still be bought/dropped.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/19/2024 at 9:42 PM, andreiblue.8231 said:

Do you think that spear skins will be added to current weapon sets that dont have it?

If the player base hadn't collectively hated on underwater combat because they couldn't be bother to learn to weapons and work around skill limitations they wouldn't have stop making them and now you'd have them.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Zera.9435 said:

They already said they will not add spears to old weapon skin sets. They will only add spears to the new weapon sets from here on out.

They did? Not to be the "can you back that up?"-guy, but I'm curious about the wording of their statement.

5 minutes ago, Omega.6801 said:

They did? Not to be the "can you back that up?"-guy, but I'm curious about the wording of their statement.

While they don't explicitly say they won't, the wording in this response implies that there will not be any retroactive addition. Read the second sentence in the statement very carefully.

Besides, with over 100 weapon skins to date, that is A LOT of work for the design team that honestly will just take way too much time and resources to implement. It is an unreasonable expectation to have them retroactively create all those weapon skins. I'd rather they focus their talents on entirely new weapon skin sets than retroactively do the spear skins. It would be the same situation if they had introduced any other completely new weapon type (like polearms for example).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

29 minutes ago, Zera.9435 said:

While they don't explicitly say they won't, the wording in this response implies that there will not be any retroactive addition. Read the second sentence in the statement very carefully.

Besides, with over 100 weapon skins to date, that is A LOT of work for the design team that honestly will just take way too much time and resources to implement. It is an unreasonable expectation to have them retroactively create all those weapon skins. I'd rather they focus their talents on entirely new weapon skin sets than retroactively do the spear skins. It would be the same situation if they had introduced any other completely new weapon type (like polearms for example).

Thanks a lot for the link. Yeah, they about as explicitly rule out retrofitting skins as PR-speak allows it.

1 minute ago, Omega.6801 said:

Thanks a lot for the link. Yeah, they about as explicitly rule out retrofitting skins as PR-speak allows it.

Meh I just copied it from the guy that posted prior to you.

I don't think they will go through the effort of creating additional skins for old weapon sets. I do think that they should consider revisiting the drop sources of the old PvP-only spear skins that now are only obtained via RNG Black Lion skin kits and spears with models that exist but have never made it into the hands of players as spear weapons. Grant players as many spears as possible! Wardrobe is terrible without weapons that match armor.

Edit: I also think that they should consider revisiting staff skins that are clearly spears and duplicating them into the spear category. Take a look at things like "Darkspear."

Edited by Quench.7091

As long as they don't try to replicate old styles and end up making them look "off" (think Auric Weapons vs Exalted Sniping Bow, or Exalted Shoulders/Gloves versus Laminate's Backplate), I don't really care either way. It would be nice to have matching spears, but only if they actually matched.

• Confused 1

On 6/20/2024 at 9:45 AM, Danikat.8537 said:

If a spear skin already exists but is unavailable to players they might make it available, especially ones like the Voltaic Spear which used to be available and lost their only acquisition method when the PvP reward system was updated. Other items in the same situation were added back into the game, like all the armour sets in the Legacy Armor Box, but I think that was after players kept asking for them back and most people didn't care enough about spears until now to ask for them.

I don't think they'll create spear skins for every weapon set which is missing them, because that would be a huge amount of work, but adding a way to unlock skins which already exist would be a relatively quick way to increase the number of skins without having to create a load of new models.

I would like that. I suspect that the old weapon set collection achievements shouldn't be opened up again, but I wouldn't mind them making new collection achievements containing spear skins only that would be in line with previous weapon sets. Maybe like the Honorary Astral Ward achievement.