Please ensure Ele spear 5 doesn't cover mechanics (eg red aoe)

This is what happens when "progress" is tied to the flashiest most obnoxious effects and particles possible.

Everyone walking around like they've been dipped in glitter, and now, weapon effects that were once exclusive to legendaries have been plastered on most skins that came out for years culminating on just flat out class effects, you don't even get a choice anymore by picking a weapon with no effects, your class has that covered...

Wanna play Soulbeast? Enjoy that permanent aura, wanna Spear around with Elementalist? Paint the whole area so everyone knows you're there doing work!

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Dean Calaway.9718 said:

Wanna play Soulbeast? Enjoy that permanent aura, wanna Spear around with Elementalist? Paint the whole area so everyone knows you're there doing work!

except visuals like these are heavily culled for allies, so theyll only see that the ele went downstate and not the visual vomit that caused them to miss that red circle

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Noodle Ant.1605 said:

except visuals like these are heavily culled for allies, so theyll only see that the ele went downstate and not the visual vomit that caused them to miss that red circle

even if that's true, they still need to solve the visual clutter for the ele themselves by not having an opaque black mess under the leylines blocking mechanics.

• Like 3

This is completely my personal opinion,

but I don't think beautiful effects will be removed or given an on/off option because they are, in a sense,

in a trade-off relationship with powerful functions.

In other words, large and beautiful effects have the disadvantage of being easily spotted by enemies.

It seems that this disadvantage is traded off for the powerful functions they provide.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

34 minutes ago, ippy.9048 said:

This is completely my personal opinion,

but I don't think beautiful effects will be removed or given an on/off option because they are, in a sense,

in a trade-off relationship with powerful functions.

In other words, large and beautiful effects have the disadvantage of being easily spotted by enemies.

It seems that this disadvantage is traded off for the powerful functions they provide.

Should the effects be visible in PvP to allow counterplay from the enemy team? Sure, that is valid design. Should the effects be disruptive to your teammates and your own efforts when doing mechanics in a PvE setting? No, because that would just lead to the weapon not being used. Your teammates would hate you for it and request you switch or be kicked, and if it's not being used then what's the point of all the dev time making the weapon?
Some middle ground like removing the atrocious oil spill effect under the ley lines glyph while keeping the glyph lines and making it translucent would be a good start. The effects would still be large and beautiful minus the oil spill.

An example of a player controlled skill just trolling teammates is the RDM's Limit Break 3 in FFXIV, it's basically a flashy skill that covers the arena and makes it impossible to see common mechanics like an enemy aoe until it's too late, this video being a great example.  FFXIV allows you to toggle off other player effects, but not their limit break. And therein led to the unintentional griefing.

• Like 2

I wish these fields were just big fire, water, static and earth fields and not this big black fields that dont fit elementalists style. and yeah Im worried I will see even less in combat. do not like how this AOE looks at all.

• Like 3

they can just give an option to hide those aoe effects , like they should have done for untamed f3 pet skill and staff unleash skill , also afraid those area hide other aoe who you need to avoid , but heh you play ele , going downstate is part of the rotation after all , and you don't obstruct your allies vision , that's so kind of all ele players.

Do the same for untamed plz anet , so they only have vision obstructed by this annoying pet fart skill f3 and not allies and this obnoxious staff skill.

• Like 1

I really love those new visuals and I'm definately not going to complain before i have seen it in action. For everyone else in the group not playing Ele with spear it is definately a non concern because the effects can be downgraded to barely be visible.

Anet should just project those red aoe rings from boss mechanics on top of all other effects. Why do they even have to be on the lowest layer and every player field effect is covering them up?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Pretty sure that in the live stream they said that it is only visible to you, and not you allies. They just see the circle as a marker (maybe it'll be an option?). 

This prob does not fix the problem if it's about what the caster can see themselves. But at least you will not be covering for allies.

• Like 1

On 6/25/2024 at 12:43 PM, Santo.2419 said:

Pretty sure that in the live stream they said that it is only visible to you, and not you allies. They just see the circle as a marker (maybe it'll be an option?). 

This prob does not fix the problem if it's about what the caster can see themselves. But at least you will not be covering for allies.

yea, definitely would prefer if it doesn't obscure the caster's view as well!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...