The Janthir Wilds Spear Preview in a Nutshell

1 hour ago, Purple Effects.2503 said:

The only good looking thing about etch, is literally the etch itself and its animations while charging, lol the flip skills look awful imho 

mind the gap is animationallu better looking then any of eles stuff, however again this is down to opinion. 

But each to their own 

we have another class, reverent which animationally went huge, but as shown, outside caster, to actually show this off the weapon has to be so slow that it’s doomed functionality wise. 

casters have always been animationally larger. 

Yeah, I agree with everything here, except I think Volcano looks okay among the flip skills. The others are a letdown. Mesmer spear skills are beautiful, and better looking than most. How artistically pretty the skills look was never my issue.

I never intended to compare caster animations with martial skill animations either, including martial attacks used by other casters and gishes, like mes and guard. If that didn't come across, then I misspoke.

• 2 weeks later...

They're more or less serviceable, but the inspiration leaves a lot to be desired, especially for the elementalist, necro, revenant, and warrior. 
Necro's is uninspired with the soul shards and more chill. It's a little clunky as well. 
I am excited for all the medium classes' spears and mesmer's! But engineer and mesmer's do need tuning up functionally. Really disappointing that mesmer's doesn't have that blade tooltip on any of the spear skills. 

There will be so much lag in WvW with the elementalists' spears because both allies' and enemies' animations are visible. The flipover animations can use upgrades too.

On 7/20/2024 at 2:20 PM, mirage.8046 said:

They're more or less serviceable, but the inspiration leaves a lot to be desired, especially for the elementalist, necro, revenant, and warrior. 
Necro's is uninspired with the soul shards and more chill. It's a little clunky as well. 
I am excited for all the medium classes' spears and mesmer's! But engineer and mesmer's do need tuning up functionally. Really disappointing that mesmer's doesn't have that blade tooltip on any of the spear skills. 

There will be so much lag in WvW with the elementalists' spears because both allies' and enemies' animations are visible. The flipover animations can use upgrades too.

I'd take no blade tag on mesmer spear if the base stats are good enough to compensate for it. The main effect of the blade tag is generally just "do more damage" (either directly or indirectly), so if baseline spear damage is good enough it should still be worth using on a virtuoso while also being better for chronomancers and mirages (although chronomancers and mirages do have their own means of boosting damage).