Asura Necro?

In my head, I satisfy the question with the general idea of building golems and creating new stuff from cheap and easily accessible materials - might seem a little unhinged to the rest of us, but from a practical to the point of apathetically unemotional pov, which seems rather commonplace among Asura, it fits quite well.
At least that's my take.

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Squee Squashington.5189 said:

Are there any lore reasons why Asura may have some affinity as necromancers?

Quite a handful of famous asura veered towards necromancy, including Blimm and Oola.

Technically speaking, all professions fit all races. Some more than others, and asura will tend to veer towards anything magical or mechanical.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

There's a degree to which asura are probably the most suited for necromancers. Humans and norn generally have aversions to necromancy, charr have an aversion to magic generally, and sylvari don't really have an aversion per se, but they just generally prefer to study other fields. Obviously there are plenty of exceptions to all of the above (Grenth and Raven followers, the Ash Legion fields a lot of necromancers, and just because most sylvari prefer not to focus on death magic doesn't mean that none of them do), but AFAIK asura have no such holdups to begin with: they regard it as simply another form of magic. I'm actually a little surprised we don't see more Inquest necromancers, but ArenaNet tends to focus on the magitech with asura enemies.

I think there'd be a degree to which asura would be likely to regard minions as essentially a cheaper substitute for golems. Oola, in particular, saw necromancy and golemancy as linked fields, although her perspective might not be shared by all golemancers. Being able to get bodies to move around on their own is probably also pretty useful for specimen collecting and transport for a variety of experiments and purposes with varying degrees of concern for ethics - one of my concepts, for instance, was an asura archaeology/palaeontology scientist who learned necromancy because it would be really convenient if specimens could move themselves.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, draxynnic.3719 said:

There's a degree to which asura are probably the most suited for necromancers. Humans and norn generally have aversions to necromancy, charr have an aversion to magic generally, and sylvari don't really have an aversion per se, but they just generally prefer to study other fields. Obviously there are plenty of exceptions to all of the above (Grenth and Raven followers, the Ash Legion fields a lot of necromancers, and just because most sylvari prefer not to focus on death magic doesn't mean that none of them do), but AFAIK asura have no such holdups to begin with: they regard it as simply another form of magic. I'm actually a little surprised we don't see more Inquest necromancers, but ArenaNet tends to focus on the magitech with asura enemies.

I think there'd be a degree to which asura would be likely to regard minions as essentially a cheaper substitute for golems. Oola, in particular, saw necromancy and golemancy as linked fields, although her perspective might not be shared by all golemancers. Being able to get bodies to move around on their own is probably also pretty useful for specimen collecting and transport for a variety of experiments and purposes with varying degrees of concern for ethics - one of my concepts, for instance, was an asura archaeology/palaeontology scientist who learned necromancy because it would be really convenient if specimens could move themselves.

We do have the line from SOTO about how some Asura accidentally hinder their magical abilities by focusing too much on tech. 

But yeah, Asura necros could also have the whole thing (If playing perhaps a more evil one?) about considering the lesser intelligent races (in their viewpoint) as not even a problem to use their bodies and parts for necromancy morally.

• Thanks 1

Like some already mentioned Oola is the place where you wanna go about Asura and necromancy, there is this amazing event in Metrica Province about her and her necromantic studies.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...