Siege supply costs make no sense. Literally.

So you can make a superior catapult for 50 supply. Or you can make a superior Trebuchet for 60 supply. Except in point blank range, the treb does about 20% more damage. So 10 percent more supply, and you get 20% more, and vastly longer range. In most cases your better off just making trebs point-blank than making catapults.

Edited by jul.7602
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

10 hours ago, jul.7602 said:

So you can make a superior catapult for 50 supply. Or you can make a superior Trebuchet for 60 supply. Except in point blank range, the treb does twice as much damage, and has far more health.

…source for twice the damage?

Last I checked, trebs did less damage. The only thing they get is significantly longer range. In addition to less damage than a cata, they also have twice the charge time which means significantly less DPS (and a bit harder to dial in range). I believe a cata at 20% charge (so you get the 5k damage boost) already does more damage than a maxed treb. Trebs mastery doesn’t have as much damage boost as cata mastery.

Thats why nobody used them before outside of specific spots - they were extremely costly yet worthless compared to a cata to just slap up for a siege.

• Like 1

• jul.7602 changed the title to Siege supply costs make no sense. Literally.
Posted (edited)

Fixed. There was a mistake on my numbers. The treb does about18433 to a paper wall with full mastery, compared to a catapult which does 15265. So about 20% more damage, for 10% more supply. Charged catapult damage can exceed treb damage, but takes much longer than the 1-tapping, so the overall DPS is still inferior. 

Edited by jul.7602
  • Confused 1

22 minutes ago, jul.7602 said:

Fixed. There was a mistake on my numbers. The treb does about18433 to a paper wall with full mastery, compared to a catapult which does 15265. So about 20% more damage, for 10% more supply. Charged catapult damage can exceed treb damage, but takes much longer than the 1-tapping, so the overall DPS is still inferior. 

Question: can you even point blank a wall with a treb or will the projectile fly over? 

This is a serious question because I'm not sure anyone has been stupid enough to try with the old cost, lol. I dont know where the projectile "starts" it's path, if it's low enough to hit the wall.

2 minutes ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

Question: can you even point blank a wall with a treb or will the projectile fly over? 

This is a serious question because I'm not sure anyone has been stupid enough to try with the old cost, lol. I dont know where the projectile "starts" it's path, if it's low enough to hit the wall.

It wont fly over. The initial arc is actually pretty low.

1 hour ago, jul.7602 said:

Also, if I remember correctly, isn't the recast on a treb faster than a cata? That would make higher dps on the treb also.

Cata and Treb have the same recharge on throwing their respective rocks. Treb has a longer channel time, but that doesnt matter for two reasons: 1 Damage has been normalized a long time ago where channel time multiplies your damage such that its the same DPS, and two its point blank, you dont need to channel anyway. 

Though if you are full channeling the shot the Treb fires slower than the catapult. Cata = 9.25 seconds per shot, Treb 13.25 seconds. 

Also for guild versions of the siege the dps being 20% more means that each supply is worth the same DPS no matter what you build. 40 for cata, 50 for tree, so 20% more supply for 20% more damage seems reasonable to me. 

Edited by Draygo.9473