Potentially stupid question - moving from alliances

Hello everyone,

Forgive me if this is a silly question, I'm not a GW2 veteran by any stretch.

Myself and my guildmates seem to have been assigned to Mirror of Lyssa during this restructuring beta, we all used to be Blacktide world.

However, we want to move to where our old WVW buddies are, on another alliance.

Is it possible to do this? If so, how?

We thought we followed some sort of steps to do this for the latest reset, but nothing seems to have changed.

Thanks,

neato.

EU is having significant issues with its reset currently. Once everything is fixed, if you're still on the incorrect team as other members of your alliance, you can put in a support ticket and get moved.

Just now, Sheff.4851 said:

EU is having significant issues with its reset currently. Once everything is fixed, if you're still on the incorrect team as other members of your alliance, you can put in a support ticket and get moved.

Thanks for your answer, but I don't think it answers my question.

We aren't separated from other members of our alliance, we are only two individual players, who are in the same guild, that want to move to another alliance to catch up with old Blacktide buddies.

Does that make more sense?

1 minute ago, neato.9164 said:

We aren't separated from other members of our alliance, we are only two individual players, who are in the same guild, that want to move to another alliance to catch up with old Blacktide buddies.

Yes. You need to make this selection before the team lockout period ends, which is usually on the Wednesday before the team shuffle. You and your other friend will join the other alliance, you will set that alliance guild as your World vs. World guild (different from repping a guild), and then you will be on the same team as that alliance when matches are shuffled, which happens on the last Friday of the month. Given the issues that EU has had with its reset, you may still be able to get moved because of how chaotic it's been.

You can see details on this process in the Restructuring video that I made for the last beta -- it still works this way in launch. 

1 minute ago, MedievalThings.5417 said:

You need to be in a guild with them AND choose that guild to represent as your wvw guild.  But, the timer on that closed 2 days ago.  Joining a guild with them and submitting a ticket is likely the only way until the next reshuffle next month.

So, I'm the guild owner, does this mean my guild just got slapped onto a random Alliance when this restructuring kicked in?

Just now, neato.9164 said:

So, I'm the guild owner, does this mean my guild just got slapped onto a random Alliance when this restructuring kicked in?

No. It means that your guild gets shuffled into a random matchup based on the activity metrics of the people in your guild. An "alliance" is just a guild, but it's a guild comprised of players from multiple different guilds, that all those players use to make their World vs. World guild selection.

6 minutes ago, neato.9164 said:

You need to join the alliance guild of your buddies to be placed in the same world as them when WR shuffles, which was today. So you're late for that as the deadline to set a wvw guild was on Wed, and will have to until the next shuffle at the end of aug. But first and foremost.. you need to be in the same guild as your alliance buddies. If you don't and just select your two man guild you will be randomly placed in a world for the next 4 weeks, if you're lucky you could end up on their world anyways. You cannot manually move, or ask to move unless you were already in a alliance and got misplaced from the shuffle, which isn't the case here unfortunately.

Edited by XenesisII.1540

Just now, Sheff.4851 said:

No. It means that your guild gets shuffled into a random matchup based on the activity metrics of the people in your guild. An "alliance" is just a guild, but it's a guild comprised of players from multiple different guilds, that all those players use to make their World vs. World guild selection.

Right... so, potentially, in the next reset, my Guild could get moved from Mirror of Lyssa to another Alliance due to the reshuffle?

I'd like to be able to choose a home for my Guild and have it stay there, is that possible?

2 minutes ago, neato.9164 said:

Right... so, potentially, in the next reset, my Guild could get moved from Mirror of Lyssa to another Alliance due to the reshuffle?

I'd like to be able to choose a home for my Guild and have it stay there, is that possible?

If by "home" you mean you want your guild to have the same team name every month, no, this is not possible currently. If by "home" you mean you want your guild to play with the same other guilds and players every month, yes, this is possible by having everyone joining that larger guild, setting it as your World vs. World guild, and then going back to repping your own individual guilds.

• Like 1

There are technically no alliances. Its just worlds and guilds. You want to play with friends? You have to be in the same guild and mark it as wvw guild. This ensures you all get placed in the same world at reshuffle.

Alliances are just guilds players made for reason above - playing together.

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, neato.9164 said:

The only way to join a server group is via a common guild now which is why ANet added the 6th guild spot for space if players had filled all 5. So you will want to see if your old servermates had created a Community or Alliance guild built from people from your old server and get them to invite you tow in. You then need under the guild panel to have that set as your WvW guild. The lockout timer is displayed in that same UI when the next resort will be. You don't need to rep the community guild, just make sure it is set as your WvW guild before the lockout timer on next resort. 

Here is a link to the upcoming dates:

Server names are truly just that now. This month you might be on MoL and next month after the next sort you might be on another server. 

Hope that helps.

Okay let's figure some terminology out:

servers/shards

Servers are not existant any longer. In their stead we have shards. Shards get created new EVERY reset compromised of many guilds and individual players.

Alliances

for all intents and purposes as far as functionality goes there are no alliances. There are alliance guilds which serve as quasi alliances by having every player join that guild. They still remains regular guilds.

Guilds

the same as before only that now sometimes get referred to as alliance (short for alliance guild). Same limitations apply as before, most notably a limit of 500 player members.

Relink

Relinks are a thing of the past and functionally replaced by resets except that 2 servers aren't joined but instead all guilds and players are completely reshuffled

---------

Now in order to be placed on the same SHARD as select other players you need to be in the same GUILD (notice that an ALLIANCE GUILD is still only a GUILD) and select this guild as your primary WvW GUILD before the cut off time.

Being then placed on the same SHARD as other players does not place you in their ALLIANCE. It places you on the same SHARD together with your other GUILD members (which might be called an ALLIANCE GUILD, but remains a regular guild for all its in game functions).

ALLIANCE =/= SHARD.

It's really not that hard.

Edited by Cyninja.2954

The question is whether there is any *practical* difference between mega guilds and alliances. For example, do you think guild stacking will be better or worse under alliances?

I think it will be worse. If alliances, for example, have a higher cap than 500 players, this encourages more guild stacking.

I think Team is an important term to help avoid confusion. OP wants to be on the same Team as his friends. To do that they needs to choose the same WvW guild as their friends did and wait for the next reset. Unfortunately they have just missed a reset but could try asking support nicely.

2 hours ago, Hesione.9412 said:

The question is whether there is any *practical* difference between mega guilds and alliances. For example, do you think guild stacking will be better or worse under alliances?

I think it will be worse. If alliances, for example, have a higher cap than 500 players, this encourages more guild stacking.

It's doubtful that there will be any meaningful difference between mega guilds and alliances, if alliances ever manifest. Given the interview that Grouch gave about it earlier this year/last year, I'd expect "alliances" to manifest as quality of life and usability improvements that exist within the guild UI, like being able to tag/label members, or make member groups, for easier organization. Those seem like the biggest priorities for players to have.