My server is empty - A solution to balance, and empty teams

11 hours ago, Spadassin.4076 said:

Solution

Nobody cares about winning weekly matchups. So what about making mega servers just like PvE?

1. You can join any squad in whatever map they are. If it's full, you just queue up for the map. If not you are put in another non full map. You'd always be able to play in a lively map because off hours would be reduced to 1 live matchup.

Yeah, until 1 side gets rolling and has a full zone blob which destroys which ever opposition the other sides field. Have you seen EBG with 40 man queues which rotates players through as though it was nothing because their side is losing badly? Yet more players sign up for EBG because "it has a queue, there must be something going on".

You assume that players organization will happen magically, yet you are not even willing to invest a minimum of organization with the current system already.

2. Add competitions/events every 5 hours where points matter. You can "prepare" a map in advance of the event by upping structures to T3. If your team wins you get cool rewards like gold / large amount of experience track / a new currency for fancy new skins etc. Maps are reset to T0 after the event.

Yes, encourage the 1 side stacking even more by putting rewards behind it. Good luck filling slots in your roster if a critical mass of "solo" players decide to stay on map for the rewards at the end.

3. We can run a pilot in Eotm by simply enabling reward tracks, along with special rewards. This is also a huge opportunity to revive the map which is literally made for boon melee trains.

There you have it folks. Fun and balance in WvW.

EotM has pretty much always been a PvE farm map and karma train. It never had any healthy competition (if we omit the small subsection of GvG happening there). All you are asking for is to reintroduce the farm/karma train again with your ideas. This has NOTHING to do with competition or WvW (and EotM never did).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)

I see your point but I just don't know why you are making it as the current system doesn't solve any of it.

What's the problem with Eotm being a karma train? Let the PvE folks have their fun. They can karma train there while we fight on borderlands. It's best for everyone.

Edited by Spadassin.4076
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

2 minutes ago, Spadassin.4076 said:

What's the problem with Eotm being a karma train?

I think the main opposition against EotM from WvW-player (at the time eotm was active) was: If they are on a different map, they cannot be farmed as loot-bags en passant.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Spadassin.4076 said:

I see your point but I just don't know why you are making it as the current system doesn't solves any of it.

The current system is still being polished and reworked. Turns out, players are really good at avoiding "fair" competition and the amount of organization individual players are able and willing to do is even more limited than expected (which in turn also has to do with the limited options in game to organize).

What's the problem with Eotm being a karma train? Let the PvE folks have their fun. They can karma train there while we fight on borderlands. It's best for everyone.

Not a problem. Just a very different point to make.

Now if you want to discuss having a literally PvE karma train mode next to WvW which shares all the rewards of WvW, I'm sure a lot of PvE players, especially the ones which regularly want to get alternatives to GoB, will agree. It might even work out for the best, given the WR system could easily manage a shrinking of that magnitude of active WvW population.

Not sure the developers want to go that direction atm though given they are trying to reinvigorate Spvp and WvW, even if their attempts might not bear fruition immediately.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Mega servers can fix stacking and promote fair competition by balancing across maps. For example, a top hardcore guild is on EBG. There is no guarantee that you can get on the same team on the GBL. GBL might already have a bunch of randoms and pugs trying to leech the top guild on EBG. Ultimately balancing things out. Let self interests regulate things, rather than artiticial guardrails. That's how game theory works.

PvP is another topic but a solution is to remove duo queues so that rating actually means something. There is no one in the top 25 not actively exploiting this. There is a minority just gatekeeping and/or selling titles at this point. You don't get a 95% win rate by just being good.

Edited by Spadassin.4076
  • Confused 4

Posted (edited)

^ this means you can't solve stacking by letting people stack. You have to split these players somehow. You can indefinitely adjust roster sizes and/or number of servers or make it dynamic. Megaservers are dynamic.

That's what the whole debate is about - solving stacking. At some point it's not even good for the stacking team as all maps would constantly be queued.

Edited by Spadassin.4076
  • Confused 1

Just now, One more for the road.8950 said:

You should not assume before you make such a statement.

You know bloody well it's horrible to not be in a large alliance/guild in the current system. That's why you are in a large alliance/guild.

• Like 1
  • Confused 4

12 hours ago, Spadassin.4076 said:

I am on an empty server because I didn't join any alliance. Why am I forced to join one, and listen to cringe people on Discord just so that I don't end up in an empty server?

I thought the whole point of the new system was to prevent empty servers.

The issue is the exact same as PvP. Anet is designing fancy algorithms that just don't work with current population.

Problem 1 - Balance

There are probably less than 500 players both capable and active in the EU. The size of an alliance is currently 500.

For anything close to balanced matchups to work. You probably have to limit WvW guild sizes to something like 100, and that's being generous.

Problem 2 - Population

There are still completely empty servers with no queues during prime time. The player base is just too small. We probably have to remove yet another tier.

Solution

Nobody cares about winning weekly matchups. So what about making mega servers just like PvE?

1. You can join any squad in whatever map they are. If it's full, you just queue up for the map. If not you are put in another non full map. You'd always be able to play in a lively map because off hours would be reduced to 1 live matchup.

2. Add competitions/events every 5 hours where points matter. You can "prepare" a map in advance of the event by upping structures to T3. If your team wins you get cool rewards like gold / large amount of experience track / a new currency for fancy new skins etc. Maps are reset to T0 after the event.

3. We can run a pilot in Eotm by simply enabling reward tracks, along with special rewards. This is also a huge opportunity to revive the map which is literally made for boon melee trains.

There you have it folks. Fun and balance in WvW.

Buy a tag and start changing your match. Ignore those who say typemander can't win. They talk about experiences they don't have.

2 minutes ago, Spadassin.4076 said:

You know bloody well it's horrible to not be in a large alliance/guild in the current system. That's why you are in a large alliance/guild.

Hihi, the equivalence in the old system is: You don't be on a server, and yeah you would feel left alone then as well 🤣

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Spadassin.4076 said:

It has the lowest number of kills and kdr among all the servers across all matchups. It's the most empty one.

Why are you even bringing this up? What point are you trying to make lol? That alliance matchups are fun and balanced?

from guild lists on GW2Mists and other places, you have both roaming guilds and raiding guilds on your team.

Or do you actually not mean "empty" but "not winning"

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)

What about not having outnumbered buff on every map (even kitten eb) during prime time? If we fall to the last tier and start winning, maps would still be empty and boring.

Also stop changing topic. We are discussing Megaservers as an alternative to the current system. Not whether or not my server is actually empty. There are two problems to solve for anyway - quantity and quality. Alliances are failing at balancing both.

Edited by Spadassin.4076
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Spadassin.4076 said:

What about not having outnumbered buff on every map (even kitten eb) during prime time?

Also stop changing topic. We are discussing Megaservers as an alternative to the current system. Not whether or not my server is actually empty. There are two problems to solve for anyway - quantity and quality. Alliances are failing at balancing both.

You were the one who changed both the original post and the thread name, not me. Who's changing topic?

• Like 1

I have added context since people started talking about Discord. I think l my initial post wasn't clear enough - I was complaining about the system forcing players to join large alliances or be stuck in a empty server. At least before we could transfer.

• Like 2
  • Confused 4

15 minutes ago, Dean Calaway.9718 said:

Yeah, but, it's not like they had years and years to do Alliances... oh...

Good point, if they start now developing it, it will take a bunch of years till we see it (or more precise a part of what they understoof from it) 😀

Edited by Dayra.7405
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Spadassin.4076 said:

I was in Bava Nisos last mu, there were more people, but still not enough and terrible player quality.

Bava Nisos won five weeks in a row last 6 week round ending up in T1 (the last week it came in second). Lyssa is probably the only team that performed better (coincidentally, it was Lyssa they lost to). 

I assumed you where on some kitten team. Silent woods is indeed being dominated. Probably just me being paranoid but I still have my doubts this thread would have existed last month (mostly because it didnt).

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

Bava Nisos won five weeks in a row last 6 week round ending up in T1 (the last week it came in second). Lyssa is probably the only team that performed better (coincidentally, it was Lyssa they lost to). 

I assumed you where on some kitten team. Silent woods is indeed being dominated. Probably just me being paranoid but I still have my doubts this thread would have existed last month (mostly because it didnt).

Perhaps I was on another team. Honestly I have barely played WvW since alliances came up, and I have waited to see the second reset as they promised the algorithm would improve with data. Even friends on large teams have been complaining about lack content/one-sided games.

Edited by Spadassin.4076
  • Like 2
  • Confused 5

7 hours ago, Spadassin.4076 said:

In my opinion, there is nothing wrong with that. But because players were able to farm there too easily, Anet changed it. So it became a ghost town and EBG became a kind of EotM 2.0.