Any chance of a new race? or weapons? or new inspirational sparks

if new race comes, I suggest a New Class release in the same expansion. new Race is just perma Fashion which isnt good by itself. But I still not sure its possible from the code. Look at the Fishing for example. Fishing is using the in game Polearm weapon that was never released, with a new animation. Why go that route instead of just coding Fishing Rods into the game as their own thing if there isnt a code issue? 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 3

On 8/16/2024 at 8:44 PM, Damocles.4908 said:

Title says it all, I hope we do get to enjoy some new races and if those ones also have their own starting mission and story, I just after playing this game for like 10 years and having over 1000 lvl up books...there is nothing that really anchor's me to this game, even new weapons would be great....I know the spear is coming but still....a spear...not like we haven't see those before

here a wildcard one, 2 different rifles splint into long bore or blunderbuss. just something completely unexpected. I worry a little that the homestead thing may not work too well cause didnt other mmos do this already?

If there are notes I am missing please link them in

Just switch to WoW or FF14, Gw2 devs have become lazy and greedy 

• Confused 4

I think a new race would require more costs than benefits. The armor system of GW2 basically requires a new pack of meshes per armor. Isn't like Wow that just make some generic meshes and then replace them with different textures.

If new races become playable, they may not be compatible with the already existing wardrobe (that is quite big), or how to make them able to play all the past content (where the commander already have their voice lines). 

I feel it's quite unlikely we see a new playable race in GW2.

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Pifil.5193 said:

Yeah I'm real sceptical about that. He claims that ArenaNet "apparently" "toyed" with the idea of making them a new playable race but "couldn't make it work" (I'm paraphrasing here but it's close). I'd like to see his source, if any.

The use of "apparently" normally that implies that this is something you heard but have no source for. Secondly the use of "toying" implies that they didn't spend a lot of effort. Lastly, no reason is given for why they couldn't make it work (was it lack of customisation options, armour, budgetary reasons, who knows?) All just vague internet rumour I'd say.

Anyway didn't watch much more of the video as I don't want spoilers so maybe he provided a full set of citations later.

I mean if anything I'd say tengu would be a high probability, originally in GW1 games , now in gw2 they practically have a starting area for them in-between LA and Caledon forest , had base models in game then EOD happened and we saw more tengu models options worked on. Also note they always kept saying no cantha and again, EOD happened. Never take what they say as absolute , it seems to change so long as they're still making content for the game , I mean I heard GW3 was being looked at already so (shrugs)

• Confused 3

1 hour ago, Adngel.9786 said:

I think a new race would require more costs than benefits. The armor system of GW2 basically requires a new pack of meshes per armor. Isn't like Wow that just make some generic meshes and then replace them with different textures.

If new races become playable, they may not be compatible with the already existing wardrobe (that is quite big), or how to make them able to play all the past content (where the commander already have their voice lines). 

I feel it's quite unlikely we see a new playable race in GW2.

I'd argue against this with tengu as the example, they already had base models with gw2 launched (and race has existed since GW1) , EOD introduced them wearing armor and other customization options like type of bird head and such. And being a species that while having 2 genders , physically are very minute in physical differences to the point you'd only be able to tell when they speak , and some of their voices can still be questionable. And as I've mentioned in my previous comment we kept getting told no cantha , hell they freaking nuked the canthan sector from divinities reach to put a point to that , where it's now the queens pavilion. Yet we still ended up with cantha. They have an area that can work as their starting area and capital , domain of winds in-between LA and Caledon forest. They legit have everything in place to do it , it's more so a matter of what they plan to do 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

5 hours ago, Knighthonor.4061 said:

if new race comes, I suggest a New Class release in the same expansion. new Race is just perma Fashion which isnt good by itself. But I still not sure its possible from the code. Look at the Fishing for example. Fishing is using the in game Polearm weapon that was never released, with a new animation. Why go that route instead of just coding Fishing Rods into the game as their own thing if there isnt a code issue? 

GW historically has never had polearms both player or NPC wielded aside from maybe some mounted combatants? If your talking about Paragons weapon that's spears, throwing ones to be precise. Dervish used Scythes , ritualist I believe had a scepter? No polearms though , they skipped over those for guns instead 😛

• Confused 3

7 hours ago, eXistence.3876 said:

New races are a waste of resources. It's not content...it's just a splash of new paint. Nothing exciting at all about it.

Meanwhile players on wow and FF14 are all about fashion stuff.... Yeah we need more content with each expansion but you don't ignore the fashion side as well.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

On 8/16/2024 at 4:50 PM, Panda.1967 said:

New race…nope… I’m sure we’d all love to have playable Kodan or Tengu but it ain’t happening anytime soon if ever…

New weapons… you’re in luck, we are getting Spears… but you seem less than enthused about that…

New inspirational spark… Homesteads? Homesteads count right? Yeah… I’m not too thrilled about that one either… though I am looking forwards to it still.

They used to be no cantha ever as well , even nuking the canthan district in divinitys reach , yet we ended up going there . They literally have all the groundwork layed down for tengu even a starting area , not sure about kodan though , and tengu got more model variants in eod as well. So long as they're still making content for the game then never say never 

• Confused 4

On 8/16/2024 at 5:13 PM, Dean Calaway.9718 said:

There's a very easy way to make a new playable race...

You could use Charr rigging for Tengu or Norn rigging for Kodan, animations done.

Have them work with cultural armor only, anything else gets auto hidden, solves the armor rework problem.

Have them mute with dialog balloons only in old content, commander doesn't have voice acting in S1 as is anyway, voice acting old content solved.

One thing to factor in , starting area , capital and such. Kodan kinda don't have one , they have those....ice bergs that are like mobile towns , tengu though do have a capital but have been walled off after their exodus (gee great history with a nation relying on a wall in general history XD) and enough room for their starter area to level in , sharing the 2nd area of kessex hills with humans. EOD also introduced more work done on tengu so they're not all just 1 head type (instead of just the....eagle?hawk? Head they brought in crane and owl heads and probably a few others I can't name off the top of my head). If they're doing anything ATM it would heavily indicate tengu

• Confused 2

On 8/16/2024 at 12:44 PM, Damocles.4908 said:

Title says it all, I hope we do get to enjoy some new races and if those ones also have their own starting mission and story, I just after playing this game for like 10 years and having over 1000 lvl up books...there is nothing that really anchor's me to this game, even new weapons would be great....I know the spear is coming but still....a spear...not like we haven't see those before

Come back when GW3 comes out.  Until then, there is zero chance we see anything significant from Anet.  I'm in the same boat as you, been playing from the beginning and wish there would be substantial investment in the development of GW2, but that is not going to happen.  That being said, while I detest the current 'developers' (lol) that are maintaining the game, I still get a lot of enjoyment out of their older stuff! 

• Confused 6

31 minutes ago, Enundr.9305 said:

I'd argue against this with tengu as the example, they already had base models with gw2 launched (and race has existed since GW1) , EOD introduced them wearing armor and other customization options like type of bird head and such. And being a species that while having 2 genders , physically are very minute in physical differences to the point you'd only be able to tell when they speak , and some of their voices can still be questionable. And as I've mentioned in my previous comment we kept getting told no cantha , hell they freaking nuked the canthan sector from divinities reach to put a point to that , where it's now the queens pavilion. Yet we still ended up with cantha. They have an area that can work as their starting area and capital , domain of winds in-between LA and Caledon forest. They legit have everything in place to do it , it's more so a matter of what they plan to do 

Yes, they may have lore included, and if there is not, is not hard to include. (Tengus, Kodans, Largos, Dwarfs ) but still the both points remains, making them useable in the already past content is very expensive to make.  We've got more than 10 years of game, with tons of story chapters. Animations are not an issue but our commander had the good habbit to talk and be a part in the story, bringing a new race means go back and recreate all the voice lines used along the more than 100 chapters and bunch of game events. (Is complex not just for hiring a person to read more sentences, but also for all the revision of back content to add the new lines on the code scripts from all the game) (plus the risks of bugs in the process). (Or will be the new race a handicapped version that won't be able to play and access in the old content?)

And same with equipment,  for example, right now my human character is wearing the "Royal Guard Outfit", in the game files there are 10 models version of this armor (for each race and gender) adding new race means they must go back to this armor and make other 2 more model versions for the new race, the same with all outfits and armor or the new race wouldn't be able to wear them. 

We are talking about: 

• 2912 armor pieces for male
  • 2912 armor pieces for female
  • 114 outfits for male
  • 114 outfits for female

So in total, they would have to create 6052 new versions of the old equipment content for it can be used by the new race, fortunately the design and texture would be mostly done (reusing old ones) but still is a significative load of work.

So no impossible, but it's so costful that logically they would keep putting that budget and resources in creating much more other things that will have more impact in a broader group of players. 

Maybe if someday they starts again with Guild Wars 3, sure is quite likely we see new races there, but in GW2 at this stage, I see it very difficult. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Adngel.9786 said:

Yes, they may have lore included, and if there is not, is not hard to include. (Tengus, Kodans, Largos, Dwarfs ) but still the both points remains, making them useable in the already past content is very expensive to make.  We've got more than 10 years of game, with tons of story chapters. Animations are not an issue but our commander had the good habbit to talk and be a part in the story, bringing a new race means go back and recreate all the voice lines used along the more than 100 chapters and bunch of game events. (Is complex not just for hiring a person to read more sentences, but also for all the revision of back content to add the new lines on the code scripts from all the game) (plus the risks of bugs in the process). (Or will be the new race a handicapped version that won't be able to play and access in the old content?)

And same with equipment,  for example, right now my human character is wearing the "Royal Guard Outfit", in the game files there are 10 models version of this armor (for each race and gender) adding new race means they must go back to this armor and make other 2 more model versions for the new race, the same with all outfits and armor or the new race wouldn't be able to wear them. 

We are talking about: 

• 114 outfits for male
  • 114 outfits for female

So in total, they would have to create 6052 new versions of the old equipment content for it can be used by the new race, fortunately the design and texture would be mostly done (reusing old ones) but still is a significative load of work.

So no impossible, but it's so costful that logically they would keep putting that budget and resources in creating much more other things that will have more impact in a broader group of players. 

Maybe if someday they starts again with Guild Wars 3, sure is quite likely we see new races there, but in GW2 at this stage, I see it very difficult. 

Not in the slightest , they literally have a capital city and starting zone that for the others you listed they would have to work hard to do. They've already experimented with tengu models in eod , kodan? Unchanged for how long now? Dwarves don't exactly have a place to go to as far as kodan don't either. Tengu would literally have a 1 size fits all for both genders because their skeletal structures are literally identical  so unless they're going to extra mile to make the armor look....feminine....on bodies that have little differences from the males (coughs like charr) the numbers aren't as big as your making them out to be and wish to live in a negative view to the game. They kept saying the same thing about cantha by the way , even destroyed the sector in divinitys reach all the way till the end of pof , then we finally got eod. Untill they stop making content for the game anything is possible.

• Like 1
  • Confused 4

In regards to the argument about Tengu as a mew race…

First off, yes… Tengu have a Main City and Starter Zone location already marked on the map that has been there since the beginning… there has been constant speculation that they would be added in an expansion for just as long even… and perhaps at one time that may have actually even been an intention… however, at this point it is unlikely to ever happen due to the cost of adding an all new set of voice lines. Some players like to argue that “they can just be silent” but we all know that wouldn’t fly… Arena Net would be hounded constantly to add voice lines for Tengu PCs… 

That said… most of the other arguments regarding adding them as a race are misinformed nonsense… the body model they use is an alteration on the female Charr model. As a result, most armor models for female Charr can be applied with simple scaling modifiers, the same way armor is already done for the various body shapes each race has. There isn’t 12 separate versions of each armor to fit every human female body shape, it is just 1 version that is warped by an automated system within the game. Norn, Human, and Sylvari all use the same exact armor models for most armors as well, systems are already in place for simplifying how many versions of any piece of armor have to be made. Furthermore, they cut corners everywhere they feel like they can get away with it for armors… just look at boots for Asura and. Charr… how many times have they just duplicated the toe cap to fit boots to Asura with no further adjustments? Or how many times have they either made the boots oversized or just cu t the toe cap off for Charr?

Put simply, there is a lot of over exaggeration on how much would need to be done to add a new race, Tengu in particular… but the real thing that is preventing it is the cost of additional voices. Arena Net probably realized this some time before they started work on HoT, and elected to not go forwards with adding a new race.

8 hours ago, Enundr.9305 said:

They used to be no cantha ever as well , even nuking the canthan district in divinitys reach , yet we ended up going there

Not even remotely true. The devs stated every single time that players asked about Cantha, that they want to bring Cantha to GW2, but, that they have to figure out a way to do it that wouldn’t create problems. They removed the Canthan district from Divinities Reach before release because of complaints they received. They were even told that the game would not be approved for global release if they kept the district how it was. Cantha was originally designed with a blend of various Asian cultures, but it seems like it was that exact blending of cultures that created the problem. No one was ever able to tell us what the exact issue was, in fact they told us that even they were not actually informed of that detail. It ultimately boiled down to someone at NCSoft said no at the time, and something had to change for it to be approved… for all we even know, the guy at NCSoft who said no originally may have nolonger even been with the company any more when EoD got approved.

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

44 minutes ago, Panda.1967 said:

In regards to the argument about Tengu as a mew race…

First off, yes… Tengu have a Main City and Starter Zone location already marked on the map that has been there since the beginning… there has been constant speculation that they would be added in an expansion for just as long even… and perhaps at one time that may have actually even been an intention… however, at this point it is unlikely to ever happen due to the cost of adding an all new set of voice lines. Some players like to argue that “they can just be silent” but we all know that wouldn’t fly… Arena Net would be hounded constantly to add voice lines for Tengu PCs… 

That said… most of the other arguments regarding adding them as a race are misinformed nonsense… the body model they use is an alteration on the female Charr model. As a result, most armor models for female Charr can be applied with simple scaling modifiers, the same way armor is already done for the various body shapes each race has. There isn’t 12 separate versions of each armor to fit every human female body shape, it is just 1 version that is warped by an automated system within the game. Norn, Human, and Sylvari all use the same exact armor models for most armors as well, systems are already in place for simplifying how many versions of any piece of armor have to be made. Furthermore, they cut corners everywhere they feel like they can get away with it for armors… just look at boots for Asura and. Charr… how many times have they just duplicated the toe cap to fit boots to Asura with no further adjustments? Or how many times have they either made the boots oversized or just cu t the toe cap off for Charr?

Put simply, there is a lot of over exaggeration on how much would need to be done to add a new race, Tengu in particular… but the real thing that is preventing it is the cost of additional voices. Arena Net probably realized this some time before they started work on HoT, and elected to not go forwards with adding a new race.

Not even remotely true. The devs stated every single time that players asked about Cantha, that they want to bring Cantha to GW2, but, that they have to figure out a way to do it that wouldn’t create problems. They removed the Canthan district from Divinities Reach before release because of complaints they received. They were even told that the game would not be approved for global release if they kept the district how it was. Cantha was originally designed with a blend of various Asian cultures, but it seems like it was that exact blending of cultures that created the problem. No one was ever able to tell us what the exact issue was, in fact they told us that even they were not actually informed of that detail. It ultimately boiled down to someone at NCSoft said no at the time, and something had to change for it to be approved… for all we even know, the guy at NCSoft who said no originally may have nolonger even been with the company any more when EoD got approved.

They use morphs in the models to adapt them on the different sizes, human can be skinny or bulky, the model mesh used is the same, only morphed up or down for each case. However the model mesh is still different for each race. Human, norns and sylvaris, each one has their own model mesh, the Norn body armor is not the human body armor scaled up with morphings. Norns and Sylvaris have their own copy of the mesh (that surelly with have the morph information to the different sizes of the races).

You can check that with any tool to explores the game files content like gw2browser or the T3D tools.

10 hours ago, Enundr.9305 said:

One thing to factor in , starting area

With Tengu you start at the gates of the Dominion of Wind, you need to make a delivery to the Grove, on your way there you're attacked by risen, you make it, all is well, time to go back, but that was the most excitement your character ever had and he doesn't wanna go back, the group argues but you stay, leave the instance and you're not at the same starting point as the Sylvari.

For Kodan you can do the same thing but in the Norn starting area.

• Confused 4

9 hours ago, Adngel.9786 said:

right now my human character is wearing the "Royal Guard Outfit", in the game files there are 10 models version of this armor (for each race and gender) adding new race means they must go back to this armor and make other 2 more model versions for the new race, the same with all outfits and armor or the new race wouldn't be able to wear them. 

We are talking about: 

• 114 outfits for male
  • 114 outfits for female

So in total, they would have to create 6052 new versions of the old equipment content for it can be used by the new race, fortunately the design and texture would be mostly done (reusing old ones) but still is a significative load of work

On 8/16/2024 at 10:13 PM, Dean Calaway.9718 said:

Have them work with cultural armor only, anything else gets auto hidden, solves the armor rework problem.

• Confused 6

13 hours ago, Enundr.9305 said:

Meanwhile players on wow and FF14 are all about fashion stuff.... Yeah we need more content with each expansion but you don't ignore the fashion side as well.

This would be a major endeavor for little cosmetic payoff. Just make a combat potion or outfit and be done with it. To spend sooooo much resources to make your character a bear is ridiculous. GW2 does fine as far as fashion . This would not be "ignoring" fashion LOL. They don't call it Fashion Wars for nothing...come on

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

21 hours ago, Enundr.9305 said:

GW historically has never had polearms both player or NPC wielded aside from maybe some mounted combatants? If your talking about Paragons weapon that's spears, throwing ones to be precise. Dervish used Scythes , ritualist I believe had a scepter? No polearms though , they skipped over those for guns instead 😛

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Polearm_(weapon_type)

13 hours ago, Adngel.9786 said:

However the model mesh is still different for each race. Human, norns and sylvaris, each one has their own model mesh, the Norn body armor is not the human body armor scaled up with morphings. Norns and Sylvaris have their own copy of the mesh (that surelly with have the morph information to the different sizes of the races).

You can check that with any tool to explores the game files content like gw2browser or the T3D tools.

They have separate files in the browser simply because the actual body mesh for the race is also included for many armors. The armor mesh is the same between human, sylvari, and norn. They use separate files to maintain proper body mesh underneath when any bit of bare skin is exposed. Because this is needed for some armors, it is simply a best practice to create a separate base file for all to avoid possible malfunctions.

that aside, fitting armor to the Tengu is a simple matter of using morphs with the female Charr versions of armor, and replacing the charr body underneath with the Tengu body. Sure, it is some work, but it’s not nearly as much as you think. A lot of the process could be easily automated, and likely would be. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...

As has already been concluded...ANET will likely not come out with a new race.  I have seen it mentioned numerously on this topic about how could a new race fit into current story (or even have a personal story).  I totally think it could and not feel forced.  I get it, it won't happen, BUT it would be super cool to play through a personal "flashback perspective" of what Kodan or Tengu, etc. were doing/experiencing alongside the events that the "commander" was involved in.  What was happening with the Kodan and Norn up north during Jormag?  What were the Tengu's experience amid Mordremoth's awakening?  SO much potential there in my opinion.  Although, yes, far too much work for the humble hum of the current GW2.  Would love to see some of this is GW3!

On 8/18/2024 at 6:49 PM, Enundr.9305 said:

They used to be no cantha ever as well , even nuking the canthan district in divinitys reach , yet we ended up going there .

Anet never said that Cantha would not happen.  They have said new races would not happen.  There's a difference.

On 8/18/2024 at 11:30 AM, eXistence.3876 said:

New races are a waste of resources. It's not content...it's just a splash of new paint. Nothing exciting at all about it.

Nothing exciting for you, maybe. For some of us, that particular splash of new paint would indeed be content, and it would be exciting, and it's ridiculously overdue. As for this old 'waste of resources' chestnut, again, maybe new playable races represents a waste of resources for YOU. The same way the homestead thing was a waste of resources for ME. And that's fine. I understand that. But there are plenty of folks around that would rather have had a new race to play than a homestead to decorate. Or another raid/strike they'll never touch.

Anet doesn't even have to create a new race starter zone (although that would be much appreciated): "I was a foundling, taken in by kindly (insert existing race here). They raised me as one of their own, etc. etc. etc. This is my story."

• Like 2
  • Confused 1