New Open World Weapon? Mirage

Mic.1897

4 hours ago, Mic.1897 said:

With Dagger Mirage getting mercilessly spanked, what would the best weapon to use in Mirage OW builds now?

Are we back to Staff?

TIA

The best mirage build right now is Go Play LITERALLY ANYTHING else besides mesmer.

That's your choice: Either go play something Anet hates less than us, or just accept that your life will suck and play anyway.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, ShadowKatt.6740 said:

The best mirage build right now is Go Play LITERALLY ANYTHING else besides mesmer.

That's your choice: Either go play something Anet hates less than us, or just accept that your life will suck and play anyway.

Correction. Play anything besides Mirage.

Chrono and Virt doing just fine enjoying their new spear. Mirage continues to dream of PoF launch days.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Really liking power mirage spear/greatsword.  Runs in and decimates stuff with spear, then option to pull back and laser to death for safety or tag from range.  Highly mobile very aggressive play style.  Simple gear set up mix of berserker/assasins, infiltrator runes to push 75% crit cap, sigil of stam/force on both weps, relics got 2 options zakiros or rivers(new vendor sold).

Here put together a build link to make it easier.  Very durable has condi cleanse on spear 3 and jaunt, double stun break, mobility and just overall fun to play.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PihEQLUWBzjtxuYm4Irk/0A-DyYYhwFUjgZHVI/SpnUIzAt3gqiKQqDEFZM2D3BQS4/RAhGK8aBqA-e

Mirror images is to instantly stack 3 clones with dodge clone for a fast 3 burst ambush with spear if wondering why included it.

Edited by Mike.7983
  • Like 2

Best open world Mirage build has always been Greatsword Mirage, you can tag every single critter under the sun (meaning profit $$$ when farming events) and gain a lot of self-boons like Might, permanent Fury, permanent Regen, permanent Vigor. Add Signet of Inspiration and you can gain near-permanent Swiftness. It gets even better now with Janthir release, now you can give yourself permanent Alac via Relic of Rivers.

Dagger Mirage was better suited to solo stuff thanks to its breakbar shredding prowess, not that it was the best open world choice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, ZephidelGRS.9520 said:

Best open world Mirage build has always been Greatsword Mirage, you can tag every single critter under the sun (meaning profit $$$ when farming events) and gain a lot of self-boons like Might, permanent Fury, permanent Regen, permanent Vigor. Add Signet of Inspiration and you can gain near-permanent Swiftness. It gets even better now with Janthir release, now you can give yourself permanent Alac via Relic of Rivers.

Dagger Mirage was better suited to solo stuff thanks to its breakbar shredding prowess, not that it was the best open world choice.

Thing is that what you typically did in practice beforehand was run greatsword on one set and dagger/X (probably sword) on the other. So you could use greatsword for farming trash and dagger can come out for things with breakbars.

Spear is a good secondary weapon for clearing trash, but I'm not convinced it matches old dagger for fighting bosses.

Yeah I'm really liking that relic of rivers, may try staff+axe with axe trait and that for personal alacrity and some actual damage back for ow and wvw. Will laugh if staxe back in all modes thanks to that relic and mirrored axes. With vigour from mental gymnastics, regen from the relic, may even try duelling/illusions and axe/torch, self deception etc and see how big condi burst with IH axe ambush, burning, shatters etc and alacrity.

GS sigil of stamina for multiple targets laser disco, grab x/focus if you like to group. Haven't had time to play GS+spear yet but looking forward.

Spear feels bit weird not sure what to pair with as really want phase retreat/sand through glass as a backward mobility to counterpart all spear's engage potential, even if 4 can be used for (quite frankly pathetic range) untargeted mobility. But staff pointless aside from that. Maybe full melee spear+sword/x and ridiculous mobility throw yourself around everywhere.

Edited by Curunen.8729

Power Mirage Spear/Greatsword is very fun for me so far in open world, very survivable, the only issue I have had with it is certain areas have so many of those rot enemies that spam puddles everywhere, big enemies spawn a bunch of them so the whole ground is puddles, and a bunch love to dash far forward so you also have to chase them around with spear so it has been a little annoying how often it feels easier and way more practical to just camp Greatsword for a lot of events but when you can stay in melee, spear feels great on Mirage with the 15% damage buffs on the ambush and the heal, surprisingly tanky feeling with full power DPS gear.

3 hours ago, Mad Maxxie.6075 said:

Power Mirage Spear/Greatsword is very fun for me so far in open world, very survivable, the only issue I have had with it is certain areas have so many of those rot enemies that spam puddles everywhere, big enemies spawn a bunch of them so the whole ground is puddles, and a bunch love to dash far forward so you also have to chase them around with spear so it has been a little annoying how often it feels easier and way more practical to just camp Greatsword for a lot of events but when you can stay in melee, spear feels great on Mirage with the 15% damage buffs on the ambush and the heal, surprisingly tanky feeling with full power DPS gear.

Yeah, I'm not sure what people on this forum are smoking saying spear underperforms on mirage. I'm having a blast and cleaving through bosses and adds much easier with ambushes than on my virt. Even the folks at Snowcrows are using it on mirage. I still like my virt for ranged builds and trash mobs tho. Or if I have someone else around to tank/support for me.

If you're having trouble with the purple puke, try a distortion/cleanse build. On bosses with adds, I can stay in mirage cloak probably 80% of the time and mostly ignore it or cleanse anything that gets through.

37 minutes ago, Gaiawolf.8261 said:

Yeah, I'm not sure what people on this forum are smoking saying spear underperforms on mirage. I'm having a blast and cleaving through bosses and adds much easier with ambushes than on my virt. Even the folks at Snowcrows are using it on mirage. I still like my virt for ranged builds and trash mobs tho. Or if I have someone else around to tank/support for me.

If you're having trouble with the purple puke, try a distortion/cleanse build. On bosses with adds, I can stay in mirage cloak probably 80% of the time and mostly ignore it or cleanse anything that gets through.

Virt is trash for open world, it's good as dps dispenser if u have full stack of boons and few mobs around, esp good on golem hence benching so well, if u not full boon static then it's clunky and squishy esp on full glass raid builds, u can play it open world but it's neither fun nor efficient.

Spear underperforms on mirage, just look at hit base damage and cofs, what's the reason for taking it instead of gs? An additional evade? Mirage is so stacked with that that it's utterly irrelevant. A strike damage increased of 15%? U lose more by using spear instead of gs, and if u use gs and spear then good old split surge double gs build still better. Like there is point on using spear on mirage, I tried, tried for hours, it's fun cuz it's new, then u actually look at arc or compare it trad methods. 

Only reason to use spear is if u need more sustain, I personally don't see any reason for it. Running full glass berserk and assassin mix and die once in blue moon with mirage in pve as it have so much mobility and evade frames that it trivilialize basically everything that pve can throw at you(not that other mesmers have any issues with that if u know the class, yet mirage fundamentally punish you for mistakes way less)

Spear is only good upgrade for power chronos everywhere and benchmark cheesing with virt. As far as mirage goes it's pointless to use spear outside of additional sustain power wep u equip because of some overturned story boss or smtg. 

Even if some weird power benchmark with mirrage spear pops out it will be so complex that nobody reading this gonna come close to it, yet I doubt that happens as mirage traitlines do not feed into spear kit and cofs of shattered glass is pathethic. 

Change my mind lads... u can't, mirage is special kid on the bench, just accept it and stop coping. 

Once again I love mirage, I love playing with it, but it's trash in pve, and this weapon makes it even bigger trash in comparison to other mesmers. It is how it is.

Edited by Triptaminas.4789
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3

2 hours ago, Triptaminas.4789 said:

Virt is trash for open world, it's good as dps dispenser if u have full stack of boons and few mobs around, esp good on golem hence benching so well, if u not full boon static then it's clunky and squishy esp on full glass raid builds, u can play it open world but it's neither fun nor efficient.

Spear underperforms on mirage, just look at hit base damage and cofs, what's the reason for taking it instead of gs? An additional evade? Mirage is so stacked with that that it's utterly irrelevant. A strike damage increased of 15%? U lose more by using spear instead of gs, and if u use gs and spear then good old split surge double gs build still better. Like there is point on using spear on mirage, I tried, tried for hours, it's fun cuz it's new, then u actually look at arc or compare it trad methods. 

Only reason to use spear is if u need more sustain, I personally don't see any reason for it. Running full glass berserk and assassin mix and die once in blue moon with mirage in pve as it have so much mobility and evade frames that it trivilialize basically everything that pve can throw at you(not that other mesmers have any issues with that if u know the class, yet mirage fundamentally punish you for mistakes way less)

Spear is only good upgrade for power chronos everywhere and benchmark cheesing with virt. As far as mirage goes it's pointless to use spear outside of additional sustain power wep u equip because of some overturned story boss or smtg. 

Even if some weird power benchmark with mirrage spear pops out it will be so complex that nobody reading this gonna come close to it, yet I doubt that happens as mirage traitlines do not feed into spear kit and cofs of shattered glass is pathethic. 

Change my mind lads... u can't, mirage is special kid on the bench, just accept it and stop coping. 

Once again I love mirage, I love playing with it, but it's trash in pve, and this weapon makes it even bigger trash in comparison to other mesmers. It is how it is.

I've tried GS/GS mirage. It's okay, but I give up to much versatility, mobility, and clone generation to make it work better than a second weapon set of CD skills. GS/spear still works better and gets me more clones, more phantasms, more/better/versatile/mobile CD skills and more dune cloak ambushes (that I sometimes use on Split Surge even if I generate them on spear). It's working a fair bit better here. I wasn't trying to change your mind, but sorry, you failed to change mine too. 🤷‍♂️ 

I'm not even considering benchmarks. Mirage performs well in OW PVE, not so much in instanced PVE, so benchmarks and instanced PVE really aren't part of the discussion, at least not one I'm entertaining. To my knowledge even the folks at Snowcrows aren't benching it; they're using it for OW PVE builds.