Lag and DCs from server

Unplayaple lag and constant disconnects. Dont know if its normal now (high traffic) or ...

Made Network diag and there i see things like this, so lost packets at last servers 😕

12   25ms     3/  50 =  6%     1/  50 =  2%  be2395.rcr51.b021037-0.zrh02.atlas.cogentco.com [130.117.50.26]
                                0/  50 =  0%   |
 13   26ms     2/  50 =  4%     0/  50 =  0%  amazon.demarc.cogentco.com [149.14.213.50]
                               48/  50 = 96%   |
 14  ---      50/  50 =100%     0/  50 =  0%  52.93.42.56
                                0/  50 =  0%   |
 15  ---      50/  50 =100%     0/  50 =  0%  52.93.42.65

Looks like it only depends on traffic in new maps.... 

Edited by intox.6347
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I dont have lag but i keep getting this popup all the time, my contact lists seems to DC and reconnect often and a few times so far i've had complete DCs where everything seemed frozen until i restarted the game. It all started with the expansion release, before that it was fine

Today I am unable to even login properly. The launcher login takes a good 2-3 minutes to let me start the game, I get to character select screen and then when I select a character I have the loading screen that lasted at least 5 minutes until it eventually timed out I guess and gave me a popup with some generic connection error and shut down the game.

I even tried cleaning the game folder (deleted all files in it except for Gw2-64.exe and Gw2.dat) but it's still the same. I am now trying to repair it but I doubt very much it will help since there wasn't an update in the last 2 days afaik and I played the game mostly* fine on the weekend, so i dont think it'd be my installation. This is getting really frustrating

Edited by Kaldo.4170

49 minutes ago, Loki.8509 said:

I've had the same for about 2 weeks now, contacted support, they just said it's something wrong with my ISP. The ISP doesn't agree, so it's probably something on Anet's end they can't fix.

i guess it's probably both. ISP will never say it's their fault: it's always something else. (Unless it's so blatant that multiple people in your neighborhood can't connect at all, then they'll take responsibility.) However it's a known thing that ISP equipment is not properly updated and serviced. So in my view, it's probably always partly an ISP issue.

On the other hand, sometimes it's fairly specific to this particular game and not other apps or websites. So Anet probably has part of the issue too.

Edited by willow.8209

Yeah, I've had no problems with other programs, just with GW2, so it's most likely something with their Amazon servers, that they can't fix, since they only rent those, don't actually own them.

• Like 1

FWIW I've run the diagnostic tool and detected a lot of packet loss on hop 7, so it might actually be due to my ISP which i have contacted. Then again I've also figured out that the errors go away if I run my VPN and play with it so no clue yet, but its a solid temporary solution

I'd be interessting to see if those problems are regional. Or if you even share the same ISP.

I've never had lags in pve afaik.
Disconnecs yeah, very rare.
Not so rare are those messages Kaldo posted. Then I can't use the TP. The other day that msg popped up like 3 times while I was doing a warclaw adventure race 😞 I want those messages moved to a corner not in the middle of my view, tyvm.

Edited by Tula.6021

The ISP responded and said that the packet loss is happening somewhere beyond/upstream from their network, and they reproduced the same loss when pinging the addresses in question from other user's routers. It could be the case that it really is with some upper level node, i think in my case those are handled by the European t-mobile so dunno if that's a common point with other people in this thread 🤷‍♂️

Atm it seems like nobody can do anything but hope it gets resolved soon

Edited by Kaldo.4170

On 8/26/2024 at 10:10 PM, Kaldo.4170 said:

Today I am unable to even login properly. The launcher login takes a good 2-3 minutes to let me start the game, I get to character select screen and then when I select a character I have the loading screen that lasted at least 5 minutes until it eventually timed out I guess and gave me a popup with some generic connection error and shut down the game.

I even tried cleaning the game folder (deleted all files in it except for Gw2-64.exe and Gw2.dat) but it's still the same. I am now trying to repair it but I doubt very much it will help since there wasn't an update in the last 2 days afaik and I played the game mostly* fine on the weekend, so i dont think it'd be my installation. This is getting really frustrating

Yep, can confirm, I've never had any troubles until August 28. It's very annoying, can't log in, getting stuck on loading screen, having lag spikes in thousands, loosing server response, I got kicked from strike group because i couldn't event get into instance.

Why dont they just turn off servers and do maintenance? every MMO do it like that to keep game from horrible lags and disconnects only that game is somehow exception.

Horrible experience make you regret to waste money on this excuse of game.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Antarian.9104 said:

Why dont they just turn off servers and do maintenance? every MMO do it like that to keep game from horrible lags and disconnects only that game is somehow exception.

Horrible experience make you regret to waste money on this excuse of game.

every OLD MMO servers does this. But GW2 is way ahead of those with almost zero downtime. server uptime or disconnects will not be improved by turning it off and doing maintenance. these servers are not your personal computer that can be miraculously solved by rebooting it. 

not saying im happy with the disconnects but forums is not gonna solve your issue. Raise a support ticket.

I can't go a day without at least getting one disconnect. The game just cuts out on me or it causes my PC to restart completely. I've done multiple repairs, reinstalled the game and it keeps happening.

I get most of this while playing in Syntri but yesterday it happened in Lake Doric and Arborstone as well. I think I'm going to not play for a couple of weeks or something and then come back. I remember this happening around new releases like with SoTO and then suddenly, magically the problems disappear after a few weeks and everything is back to normal again.

I just don't want to waste my time with World Bosses or Convergences only to get cut out of the game during. Initially I thought it was just the new areas, Syntri in particular but this week it seems to've spread to the rest of the game as well.

3 hours ago, Gehenna.3625 said:

I can't go a day without at least getting one disconnect. The game just cuts out on me or it causes my PC to restart completely. I've done multiple repairs, reinstalled the game and it keeps happening.

I get most of this while playing in Syntri but yesterday it happened in Lake Doric and Arborstone as well. I think I'm going to not play for a couple of weeks or something and then come back. I remember this happening around new releases like with SoTO and then suddenly, magically the problems disappear after a few weeks and everything is back to normal again.

I just don't want to waste my time with World Bosses or Convergences only to get cut out of the game during. Initially I thought it was just the new areas, Syntri in particular but this week it seems to've spread to the rest of the game as well.

In this case I would check the hardware too, as the part with the restarts sounds strange for just a game crash or a dc.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/24/2024 at 10:26 AM, Kaldo.4170 said:

I dont have lag but i keep getting this popup all the time, my contact lists seems to DC and reconnect often and a few times so far i've had complete DCs where everything seemed frozen until i restarted the game. It all started with the expansion release, before that it was fine

I get that popup as well. Just lost a stack of fishing party catch points because of it. Not every day, but every few days it is bad for the whole day.

So... I've been playing for about a month, and I notice frequent errors from the log-in server at random intervals. Sometimes, I'm just standing around doing nothing. In many cases, clearing the error message solves the problem. However, this seems to happen A LOT inside instanced quests. Like, for example, Victory or Death. I'm completing it with my second character and, sure enough, get almost to the very end... disconnect and have to start all over.

I know I'm a noob, but whether or not the problem is on the server or the client end seems to be kind of a moot point. This problem seems frequent, and it often occurs (for me) at the exact same spot: right at the end of a quest *just* before experience is calculated and awarded. Having noticed this sort of a pattern in a month of playing makes me think it's ... not a new issue.

There are always going to be hiccups in net traffic. Why hasn't ArenaNet planned for that in things like the personal story? Victory or Death is a great series of missions, but it's not at all fun to play if there's a really good chance you'll get to the end and have to start way back from the beginning. Given that you can die an unlimited amount of times within a quest and just start from a checkpoint, it seems like it would be a fairly easy fix to persist the checkpoint saves until the mission is completed or purposefully terminated by the user (like leaving the area).

Probably not a new complaint or suggestion, but ugh... so frustrating to know that the biggest boss to worry about in any quest is the Login Server.

Its really bad this last 24 hours. Was doing map completion last night in core game and got DC'd about every 30 minutes. I noticed a lot of the DCs came when I was harvesting a node, but not always. Many of the DCs came with the usual freeze to log-in server popup, but then I started getting the hard error splash screen that asks you to send data to Anet (which makes you watch a 60-sec countdown just to send data [LOL]).