Super upset that Leggy Starter Kit is locked behind expansion purchase

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

Where was this outrage when SotO was needed to get legendary starter kits?

To be honest? In my subconscious because I bought SoTO to support ANET and never saw the block. Would have outraged then if I knew.

It's not a money problem. I disagree with the direction of the implementation.

Edited by pixelg.1962
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 7

2 hours ago, SuavePuppy.2809 said:

Legendary Starter Kits were a mistake

This I agree with, They are basically being used to farm gold huge amounts of gold.

3 hours ago, pixelg.1962 said:

not really in this case. you are locking out people on previously existing old content because the new expansion adds a feature that allow a minimal part of that content to be played differently. namely spears can be used on land.

do you really need to start a conversation like this? fine I'll bite.

been playing since closed beta.

I have 2 accounts that are fully bought with expansions this is a third that doesn't have all the expansions yet

been supporting anet buying from the gem store multiple times

supporting the company with money is not the issue

now that we have clarified that, can you please tell me why is my point invalid?

also please, without offending people or calling on self entitlement. we can all do that easily.

Maybe look up the term self entitled and comments above, just because you have invested loads into the game (I applaud that, i do same) does not add value to Your argument that you feel its unfair to have the legendary kit slot occupied with a kit not useful to you.  Obviously as a new expansion the legendry kit is likely to be aligned to it, it would have been an oversight not to right?!   If you really want the kit, buy the expansion, its actually got something that you want!  or is it just a gold farm perchance...

So rather than being 'super annoyed' be super excited that's there is a nice reward waiting for you to buy the expansion?  Its all about how you view the world tbh.

Edited by Bladestrom.6425
  • Like 3

44 minutes ago, IAmNotMatthew.1058 said:

Since when I pay for the game or some expansions and I'm locked out from content? What is this EA?

This.    You have not purchased Janthir Wilds hence ANY content that expansion exclusively has you are NOT locked out of so you whole rant and argument is completely MOOT

Your entire first post contradicts itself... there is litterally NO argument at all

Edited by Bowdidly.7401
  • Like 6
  • Confused 2

7 minutes ago, Bowdidly.7401 said:

This.    You have not purchased Janthir Wilds hence ANY content that expansion exclusively has you are NOT locked out of so you whole rant and argument is completely MOOT

he is not even locked out, he has access to the kits,.  its  basically greed

'I have 2 accounts that are fully bought with expansions this is a third that doesn't have all the expansions yet'

• Like 5

2 hours ago, pixelg.1962 said:

I have 2 accounts that are fully bought with expansions this is a third that doesn't have all the expansions yet

I was taking you seriously until I reread your posts. I can't take you seriously after this. Go buy the latest expansion for your accounts if you want the legendary starter kit on all of them.

• Like 4

The Legendary starter kits only include gen 1 weapons so theoretically you do not need ANY of the recent expansions to aquire any of these you just need to actually play the game, If you want the NEW legendary Spear thats not even out yet its going to be years before that is ever available in a "starter kit"

Edited by Bowdidly.7401

4 minutes ago, devzero.4093 said:

I was taking you seriously until I reread your posts. I can't take you seriously after this. Go buy the latest expansion for your accounts if you want the legendary starter kit on all of them.

I don't understand why that matters and I will probably buy it at some point if I feel like it.

There is a difference for me between the feeling of "to pay for something because I want to and I like to do it to support people and devs" and the feeling of "I have to buy it otherwise crap that I had available before starts being locked off from me"

But apparently my slant on this is in minority, so let's move on.

Peace out

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 5

4 minutes ago, pixelg.1962 said:

I don't understand why that matters and I will probably buy it at some point if I feel like it.

There is a difference for me between the feeling of "to pay for something because I want to and I like to do it to support people and devs" and the feeling of "I have to buy it otherwise crap that I had available before starts being locked off from me"

Peace out

Well, the intention matters. If you only had one account then I could sort of see where you're coming from even though I don't agree with you. Having multiple accounts and wanting access to the legendary starter kits on all of them is just being greedy, as Bladestrom.6425 already pointed out.

If I had to guess, the reason why it's locked behind the latest expansion is due to those people that have multiple "daily login accounts" from before the Wizard Vault. I don't think it would be desirable for them to get access to that many legendary starter kits just because they got free account upgrades ages ago or because they bought PoF for five bucks on those accounts. Too many people were doing that so probably that's why they got rid of that daily login reward system.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, devzero.4093 said:

If I had to guess, the reason why it's locked behind the latest expansion is due to those people that have multiple "daily login accounts" from before the Wizard Vault. I don't think it would be desirable for them to get access to that many legendary starter kits just because they got free account upgrades ages ago or because they bought PoF for five bucks on those accounts. 

Yes you are most probably right, same goes for T6 bags, on the other hand, Legendary kit itself has no value because you can not sell precursor or gifts. Meaning that even those free core accounts would have to do world exploration, get enough karma, get crafting disciplines, etc. I am sure there are people who would do it but sounds like too much of works for non main account. To me atleast anyway.

I do not complain about this though, even though I have multiple accounts with expansions that I had to pay for.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, pixelg.1962 said:

Peace out

Wording your complaint properly and not being a drama queen with "I'm locked out of content I paid for" would have certainly helped your case.

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Bladestrom.6425 said:

he is not even locked out, he has access to the kits,.  its  basically greed

'I have 2 accounts that are fully bought with expansions this is a third that doesn't have all the expansions yet'

Wait. Can't he just craft the legendary using the kit on one of those 2 expansions, and transfer it to the third?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

22 hours ago, pixelg.1962 said:

Not a behavior I like to see from ANET.
Even if there is a legendary spear in it, doesn't mean jack for anyone that doesn't have JW.
Moreover with the rotation of leggies, it means that with the spear inside the kit for the next 3 rotations at least, the Kit will not be available for 1 year to people that don't buy the expansion.

Please revert/fix it. Since when I pay for the game or some expansions and I'm locked out from content? What is this EA?

I Agree, I didn't noticed at first because i have the new expansion, this is just a nonsense, I could understand the skins and the new legendary that are related to this expansion, but some of the things that they now paywall behind the new expansion are not related at all but above of all they are just throwing away all those that bought SOTO few months ago, this is  not a good customer attitude at all in my opinion, and I see many little things like this recently, hope this will not the new "style" of the game.

• Like 2
  • Confused 6

19 hours ago, pixelg.1962 said:

To be honest? In my subconscious because I bought SoTO to support ANET and never saw the block. Would have outraged then if I knew.

It's not a money problem. I disagree with the direction of the implementation.

You are right, and they did also a lot of this kind of errors in this new expansion, that is great, but should be for now just a "preview" non only is heavily bugged everywhere but they also changed things here and there without a general solid project or clear vision, let's hope for the best in the future.

• Like 2
  • Confused 6

TBH, if SotO was a much better expansion than it was, they likely would not have needed to do that and could have left the rewards more open. But it's also true that if SotO was better, any complains about stuff being locked behind it would have been much weaker. There was no major outrage about gen2 legendaries being locked behind Hot, or gen3 behind EoD, but all those expansions could easily stand on their own.

So, in the end it still goes back not to the legendary kits being expansion-locked, but to the expansions not being good enough. As such, we should not be arguing about Anet making what mediocre quality they have even lower. We should be campaigning about making them improve the expansion model in the future.

Edited by Astralporing.1957
  • Like 3
  • Confused 4

6 minutes ago, NaramSin.2693 said:

I Agree, I didn't noticed at first because i have the new expansion, this is just a nonsense, I could understand the skins and the new legendary that are related to this expansion, but some of the things that they now paywall behind the new expansion are not related at all but above of all they are just throwing away all those that bought SOTO few months ago, this is  not a good customer attitude at all in my opinion, and I see many little things like this recently, hope this will not the new "style" of the game.

You call it a paywall when you pay 25 bucks a year for a game? Seriosuly, I already posted it: Boys & girls in the age of 10-12 mostly get more pocket money per month compared to this amount which comprises a year (SotO release was august 2023). I can understand that you don't like big AAA gaming companies and others milking players with every tiny bit but please you need to spend this little to get full access to everything and even if you don't put any money into the game you can still play it. And in this case you can even get the same legendary for a couple more of ingame currency that can be obtained just via playing. Stop it already!

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

15 minutes ago, Vinceman.4572 said:

You call it a paywall when you pay 25 bucks a year for a game? Seriosuly, I already posted it: Boys & girls in the age of 10-12 mostly get more pocket money per month compared to this amount which comprises a year (SotO release was august 2023). I can understand that you don't like big AAA gaming companies and others milking players with every tiny bit but please you need to spend this little to get full access to everything and even if you don't put any money into the game you can still play it. And in this case you can even get the same legendary for a couple more of ingame currency that can be obtained just via playing. Stop it already!

It is, those who paid for SOTO had this feature in the past, now they don't and they have to pay again, better to pay for something because it's good, and because you recognize the good work they did for the new expansion and not because you lost something that you paid in the past for, this is against the mission and the value of this game/company since the beginning, and btw dude, as i said i paid for the new expansion, and I have 70 legendaries all done crafting precursors and doing every collection, never bought one, but I also understand the reasons of those that bought SOTO just few months ago. period.

Edited by NaramSin.2693
  • Like 3
  • Confused 5

2 minutes ago, NaramSin.2693 said:

It is, those who paid for SOTO had this feature in the past, now they don't and they have to pay again, better to pay for something because it's good, and because you recognize the good work they did for the new expansion and not because you lost something that you paid in the past this is against the mission and the value of this game/company since the beginning.

Yes, the ones who payed for SotO had this feature because it was part of the most recent expansion design.

Fun fact the starter kits also dropped out of being available once a new one entered. This is in stark contrast to how all the actual SotO locked rewards work.

Was this clearly communicated? No. Was it obvious in how different rewards were being treated differently even during SotO? Yes.

Now do I get and understand that players are upset, especially the ones which pay little attention to reward structures? Sure. Does that mean that this was not designed this way from the start? No.

Edited by Cyninja.2954
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Cyninja.2954 said:

Yes, the ones who payed for SotO had this feature because it was part of the most recent expansion design.

Fun fact the starter kits also dropped out of being available once a new one entered. This is in stark contrast to how all the actual SotO locked rewards work.

Was this clearly communicated? No. Was it obvious in how different rewards were being treated differently even during SotO? Yes.

Now do I get and understand that players are upset, especially the ones which pay little attention to reward structures? Sure. Does that mean that this was not designed this way from the start? No.

Yep and this is a bad design decision like many others they had since EOD, and every time they do something bad  like for example if you ONLY buy EOD or SOTO  and I mean ONLY so for example if from F2P you buy SOTO or EOD you have a FREE mount and a FREE glider, you need just to enter and expansion map and, boom free glider and free mount in PVE, but you don't have ANY mount or glider in WvW so this game mode it's actually unplayable by people that spent money on the game,

I can't say for JW, I should get a free account and try to buy just JW but i don't care personally to know, but if also this time, with this expansion FOCUSED ON WARCLAW they will not get a glider and a mount in WvW it will be ridiculous, really ridiculous.

This is the kind of errors that the "new company" is doing recently, a clear disrespect for players, and this is so sad because it was the real focus at the beginning.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 5

Good thing i'm not in charge, or there wouldn't be 'rental'mounts or 'rental fishing rods'  why? Because the idea  is you should have to pay for those expansions to get those things, as I did. Yes it's annoying but it's how it works, like in GW1 to get into AB's i needed fractions, to get my dervish i needed nightfall. Anyway it's not like you need the new x-pac in order to do those gen1's anyway and anet should be encouraging people to support them rather than panic that a few won't have mounts or fishing. 

Be thankful that it's one and done, no monthy sub or anything. 

Yes I complained at the start, but i have been having a ball in this x-pac, been really loving it.  It's been well worth the 20 quid i payed and it' not over yet. In all honestly it's you just missing out if you don't want to invest further in this game, even after a years break it great to be back and i think anet have done very well and i for one want to support them. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, Vinceman.4572 said:

Completely agree, There's plenty top titles out there that you have to pay $40-$50 each expansion.......and then charge you a further $20 per month for the subscription  to actually play the game, ANET's $25 per year is absolute peanuts , people spend more than that texting on cellphones per month

Edited by Bowdidly.7401
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Legendaries are not an ADVANTAGE, they're a COMMODITY. You dont get more powerful, you dont get to clear content more easily. You only get the commodity of having one copy of a weapon type unlocked for all your characteres. Since now it's so easy to get stat selectable exotic (just 5% less powerful than ascended/leg), even the stat selectiveness of legendaries got toned down. Even then, changing a legendary weapon can become anoying because you have to set everything again, so even this comodity has a price.

SotO sadly offered 4 legendary kits, if you want the new ones, they come with JW; A Spear beign in it doesnt make it "exclusive" to JW, it's just legendary kit's are tied to their expacs. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 3

32 minutes ago, Sias.4592 said:

Legendaries are not an ADVANTAGE, they're a COMMODITY. You dont get more powerful, you dont get to clear content more easily. You only get the commodity of having one copy of a weapon type unlocked for all your characteres. Since now it's so easy to get stat selectable exotic (just 5% less powerful than ascended/leg), even the stat selectiveness of legendaries got toned down. Even then, changing a legendary weapon can become anoying because you have to set everything again, so even this comodity has a price.

SotO sadly offered 4 legendary kits, if you want the new ones, they come with JW; A Spear beign in it doesnt make it "exclusive" to JW, it's just legendary kit's are tied to their expacs. 

Exactly, and still you can always Buy them from the TP or actually play the game and do the collections to craft them so that's 2 EASY ways to obtain ANY legendary in the game the "starter kits" only offer a third way NONE are locked in any way shape or form

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1