Suggestion: If Anet wants players to play all game modes, some changes are needed

1. For example, one barrier to playing more game modes is equipment templates. These could be made less expensive on the gem store and also added to the Wizard Vault. More comparable to the build templates.

2. Rewards should not take an excessive amount of time comparing one game mode to another (i.e. competitive modes need buffed reward to be reasonably equivalent noncompetitive modes in terms of time dedication, for most types of rewards)

PS for 1. some armor profiles that I might need, for illustrative purposes (sometimes the armor stats differ but nearly always the weapon choices differ):

Spoiler

Solo PvE (need a little sustain, and bring my own stunbreak, boons, etc)

non-instanced Group PvE and low-tier fractals (need a little sustain, something to help the group, and whatever else my spec is known for)

instanced group PvE (specialized role, specific build maybe conforming to comp)

Solo WvW (need a lot of sustain, mobility, stunbreak, cleanse, and as much dmg as I can squeeze in)

Group WvW, non-comp (a lot of sustain, something to help the group, and whatever else my spec is known for)

Comp WvW  (specialized role, specific build conforming to comp)

PvP (need moderate sustain, stunbreak, cleanse, etc)

If others have more suggestions, please post! 

Edited by willow.8209
  • Like 1
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

I have never bought a template with cash.  Convert gold to gems.  It's simple.  And essentially free.

Irrelevant. The way the system is monetized still heavily reduces player interactions with it.

Basically, most players just won't be buying the tabs anyway, because even using gold they are expensive.

(and no, it's not "free" even when using gold. Time is not free. Otherwise anything and everything that can be bought for any form of currency we can obtain with time would be considered free as well)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Irrelevant. The way the system is monetized still heavily reduces player interactions with it.

Basically, most players just won't be buying the tabs anyway, because even using gold they are expensive.

(and no, it's not "free" even when using gold. Time is not free. Otherwise anything and everything that can be bought for any form of currency we can obtain with time would be considered free as well)

I did say essentially free.  And converting gold to gems is not irrelevant.  It is a perfectly viable method to obtain items in-game without having to pay RL cash.  Whether or not the incentives are to get players to use cash is just another part of Anet's business model. OF COURSE Anet wants players to pay in cash.  It's how they keep the lights on and servers running. 

There is no incentive for Anet to offer these items at a lesser price or to make them more available in the WV.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

Save gold, convert to gems, wait for sale, buy templates.   Would I like to see it in the WV, sure.  

Not really sure what you mean by the second suggestion.  That varies a lot from player to player.  What one considers a grind in WvW, another considers Friday night.  A long chain of achievements for an item might seem tedious to a pvp'er but be the bread and butter for a open world player.  I don't find any of it especially imbalanced, most modes reward you a little something even for failure.  

• Like 2

I just have multiple characters, each with their own builds. No need for templates. And much easier than it used to be prior to the legendary armory.

[edit] And how do you measure time in the various game modes? I can build up participation in wvw then sit around doing nothing and still be rewarded. I guess one can afk in PvE events to get "money for nothing" as well. The time I have spent in wvw, I've felt rewarded, so not sure what the problem is there. Is it PvP? I've never done that.

Edited by DeanBB.4268
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

One could always convert gold to gems and also buy gems with cash to make up the difference. 

Whenever gold conversion is mentioned the majority of the posts I see imply that a player can buy gems with cash or by converting gold.  I  never see posts about useing both methods at the same time.  I would view it as saving both time and money.

• Like 2