Extra changes in today's patch

Warrior

• Maiming Spear: Reduced the initial-hit damage coefficient from 1.2 to 1.1 in PvE only. Reduced the shock-wave damage coefficient from 1.2 to 0.75 in PvE only. Reduced the shock-wave damage bonus from 50% to 20% in PvE only.
  • Spearmarshal's Support: Reduced the damage coefficient from 0.6 to 0.4 in PvE only.
    • Apparently the PvE benchmark was too high for them, despite Decapitate being 30% of the benchmark all on it's own...
  • Harrier's Toss: This skill no longer evades and now applies vulnerability to enemies it hits.

• Godsdamnit Spellbreaker... I blame you.

• Defiant Stance: Increased the casting time by approximately 0.5 seconds.

• So, reducing the duration wasn't enough for the clowns in PvP, now it suffers everywhere else. Can we at least get the base healing increased then?

• Balanced Stance: Increased the cooldown from 40 seconds to 50 seconds in PvP only

• Just Janet walking back some prior buffs, don't mind them...

• Wild Throw: Fixed an issue that occasionally prevented certain on-hit traits such as Building Momentum or Sundering Burst from activating properly

• Well that's nice at least...

Spellbreaker

•  Cull the Weak: Reduced the weakness duration from 3.5 seconds to 1.5 seconds when the spellbreaker elite specialization is equipped, in PvP only.
    • But not Decapitate? Sus AF choice here.
  • Full Counter: Increased the cooldown from 12 seconds to 14 seconds in PvP only.
    • Anet: "We can't fix the bug so we'll just increase the CD in the one mode that people complain the most about the spec..."
      But hey, its functionally the same thing except it hurts the builds that tried to run without Discipline and now forces them back into Discipline. We can't have undisciplined warriors it seems.
      Still an overall 25% nerf to the sustain of Spellbreaker from FC alone. Maybe now the PvP forums will shut up.

Honorable mention: Relic of Rivers' boons got gutted in PvP.

Everything else from their preview is included by the way, they just moved away from reposting that and just post the updates to them on release day.

Here are the warrior notes from the preview for completeness:

Warrior

Similar to the upcoming change to Kinetic Accelerators for quickness-based scrappers, Heat the Soul will now also grant might to allies to give quickness-based berserkers better might coverage. We've also made some improvements to off-hand dagger and rifle and tuned up a number of underperforming skills and traits.

• Volley: Increased the power coefficient per strike from 0.75 to 0.8 in PvE only.
  • Explosive Shell: Increased the power coefficient from 1.5 to 1.6 in PvE only.
  •  Rifle Butt: Reduced the cooldown from 20 seconds to 15 seconds in PvE only.
  • Tremor: This skill now recharges Crushing Blow if it strikes an enemy.
  • Wastrel's Ruin: This skill now always inflicts its bonuses against defiant enemies. Increased the maximum number of targets from 1 to 2.
  • Bladestorm: Increased the barrier per hit from 289 to 445.
  • Kick: This skill now deals bonus defiance-bar damage.
  • Dolyak Signet: The passive effect of this skill now grants reduced incoming damage instead of toughness.
  • Signet of Stamina: Reduced the cooldown from 30 seconds to 20 seconds in PvE only.
  • "To the Limit!": Increased the endurance gain from 50 to 100 in PvE and from 65 to 100 in PvP.
  • Rampage: Reduced the cooldown from 90 seconds to 60 seconds in PvE only.
  • Burst Precision: Increased the bonus ferocity from 150 to 250.
  • Martial Cadence: Increased the number of conditions removed from 1 to 2 in PvE and PvP.

Berserker

• Heat the Soul: This trait now applies might to allies in addition to its previous effects.

Spellbreaker

• Sun and Moon Style: This trait now heals for a percentage of all strike damage instead of only critical hit damage.
Edited by Lan Deathrider.5910
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

The Spear change--largely PvE focused--are very odd. Spear was good in PvE but not so good that it invalidates other Power choices. The only thing I can think of is that this is trying to push people to look at Spear being equivalent to Rifle rather than Spear being a (vastly) superior Rifle.

Given the Maiming Spear changes, am I correct in that it's basically halved the Aftershock damage in the epicenter?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Just now, Jzaku.9765 said:

Jesus, they nuked Warrior PVE Spear from orbit.

So strange. I saw the benchmark logs, and Decapitate is the main source of the benchmark, not anything from spear specifically. Spear just added more damage than Greatsword, but Decapitate did +30% of the benchmark all on it's own.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, difens.1326 said:

What makes you think those are "extra" changes? Patch notes don't have original preview changes...

They moved away from reposting the whole patch notes a while ago. What they post now are changes beyond what they had in the preview for the current patch.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Geoff Fey.1035 said:

The Spear change--largely PvE focused--are very odd. Spear was good in PvE but not so good that it invalidates other Power choices. The only thing I can think of is that this is trying to push people to look at Spear being equivalent to Rifle rather than Spear being a (vastly) superior Rifle.

Given the Maiming Spear changes, am I correct in that it's basically halved the Aftershock damage in the epicenter?

Yeah, they halved it.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

Yeah, they halved it.

That's a shame.

I'll reserve judgement until I have a chance to play around with it tonight, but it's unfortunate seeing Warrior getting a number of nerfs in PvE when really Warriors have been struggling to stay relevant. Other professions do more more (DPS, Utility, Support) with less effort in a lot of cases so it's really bizarre seeing this coming down when there was really no need for it.

Warrior just really needs some kind of plan by ANet. It was awful to hear them joking that they don't know what they want to do with the profession when the Subforum & Omnibus have repeatedly bee

• Strength/Defense/Discipline/Berserker are pretty much good as-is, maybe tiny tweaks but most people agree these are in a solid state
  • Arms/Tactics needs revamps (QoL too)
  • Spellbreaker needs solid revisions, including adding Alacrity (maybe pulse Alacrity when at max Attacker's Insight stacks?)
  • Bladesworn hasn't been touched since November 2023 and is still in need of a lot of QoL updates, traits revisions, and overhauling.
  • Thanks 6
  • Confused 1

27 minutes ago, Geoff Fey.1035 said:

But rifle was always terrible on warrior for pve and no one used it even before spears came out.

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

*Anet gives meaningless buff to Crushing Blow*

*Trig: "Please play this weapon"*

*Warriors say "lol no thanks, go buff it right first"*

*Anet: Gives us the spear to pierce the heavens*

*Warriors: "Oohhh, Shiny"*

*Trig took that personally*

*Anet: Gives Crushing Blow a reset if Tremor hits*

*Warriors: "Meh, Tremor is still a projectile so we can't reliably do that combo, besides we like our new shiny"*

*Anet intensifies*

*Anet wholesale nerfs spear*

TL;DR: Don't make Trig ask twice apparently...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 2

I feel like OH mace is a smaller hammer now, which is good, but it also makes me think that MH mace is the total opposite and is not very good, at least in terms of damage if you compare the two.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, draugrlord.2869 said:

But rifle was always terrible on warrior for pve and no one used it even before spears came out.

Gunflame when HoT came out was a hilarious monster, but I agree.

There's a lot of reworking required for Warrior and I really really want ANet to take to heart the suggestions of the Warrior forums. It just feels worse and worse seeing endless nerfs to Warrior, especially to specifically fun weapons like Staff and Spear in PvE.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

29 minutes ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

*Anet gives meaningless buff to Crushing Blow*

*Trig: "Please play this weapon"*

*Warriors say "lol no thanks, go buff it right first"*

*Anet: Gives us the spear to pierce the heavens*

*Warriors: "Oohhh, Shiny"*

*Trig took that personally*

*Anet: Gives Crushing Blow a reset if Tremor hits*

*Warriors: "Meh, Tremor is still a projectile so we can't reliably do that combo, besides we like our new shiny"*

*Anet intensifies*

*Anet wholesale nerfs spear*

TL;DR: Don't make Trig ask twice apparently...

I accept this timeline

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

8 minutes ago, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

So. I tested rifle and pure rifle has gone from 28k dps to about 31k dps.

No food.

Is that good?

I assume it's decent in PvE given that it's ranged so it allows you to maintain your DPS more readily during mechanics/movement, but I don't really know what's considered "good" these days.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, MeinRtl.7369 said:

what build did you use for rifle? 

23 minutes ago, Geoff Fey.1035 said:

Is that good?

I assume it's decent in PvE given that it's ranged so it allows you to maintain your DPS more readily during mechanics/movement, but I don't really know what's considered "good" these days.

Berserker with strength and defense. Yes Disc was lower dps.

Disc didnt break 30k dps. Around 28k.

Defense got me to 31k dps.

Pure Rifle test.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PKgAQRlRwmYOMLmJO+O/tKA-DSIYRExXG1GCVEB2ugEGjhXTPW2AVA-e

Add the Relic of the claw.

Also to note. All boons + all conditions on golem. So unrealistic scenario.

Still needs dmg buffs i would say.

Edited by DanAlcedo.3281

24 minutes ago, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

Berserker with strength and defense. Yes Disc was lower dps.

Disc didnt break 30k dps. Around 28k.

Defense got me to 31k dps.

Pure Rifle test.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PKgAQRlRwmYOMLmJO+O/tKA-DSIYRExXG1GCVEB2ugEGjhXTPW2AVA-e

Add the Relic of the claw.

Also to note. All boons + all conditions on golem. So unrealistic scenario.

Still needs dmg buffs i would say.

thx mate i will try this build out xD

Guard spear nerfs: pls mrs, nerf the dmg of 1 skill 🥺

Warr spear nerf: remove main competitive feature from F1, nerf 4 hit condition, remove another feature from 5 and also make its CD longer and also nerf the bonus from dodging 👹👹👹

Compare both spears and guess which one is considered bloated from ANet.

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

Oh cool. Super glad to see that Warrior's being relegated back to "melee-only" for our options. The spear was good, not OP, but good, but this is a nuke from orbit. The spear basically slightly increased DPS over the greatsword, and gave the warrior FINALLY a viable option to maintain dps while mechanics that force range were up, and I was truly enjoying it and having fun. But this? Well, back to axe and greatsword we go I guess. Warrior is my main, and I won't lie, it really truly feels like we are barely shown any love, or even consideration. It feels like any time we start rising up into a relatively comfortable, or viable place that ALMOST competes with others.... we get shoved back down to the bottom of the ladder and told to be grateful they didn't hit us harder with nerfs, while Guardian receives yet more buffs. I might need to take a break from GW for a while to cool off, because this has me steamed.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

3 hours ago, Geoff Fey.1035 said:

If true, that is insane.

The other weapons for Power builds are horribly buggy and/or outdated. The Warrior's Spear shouldn't be punished for the lack of developer upkeep on those other weapon types. The overt use of Spear is because it is new and because it has, or had, a more put together skill kit than other weapons.

This is all so maddening... The part of me wanting to quit playing as a Warrior is growing stronger every time with this garbage of balancing.

Edited by Smoothpine.1895
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2