Problem with Your Mad King says event in Halloween festival 2024.

UNDEAD.6108

This Your Mad King says event in Lion's Arch is impossible to do for me when the time to type emote command is so short that i almost never able to type the emote command in time no matter how fast i try to type the emote command and because of this i will never able to get any of Mad King's chest key fragments when i never able to get stack of 4 Mad King's favors to earn the Mad King's chest key fragment.

Yes, i know there is trick lines that tries to trick players to emote and i need to emote when the Mad King says "Your Mad King says" line before the Mad King says what emote i need to use.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Once you have done it a couple of times, you will know which emote will follow and won't have this issue anymore.

What also helps is to activate the chat window early and type in the slash symbol to be ready for the emote. In addition, the English emotes are shorter in length than many of their translations.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

I would suggest you keep the following list on a second monitor or print it to have it on hand: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Your_Mad_King_says...#"Your_Mad_King_says"_lines

Then you can already prepare the appropriate emote command while Mad King speaks the intro lines, which should give you ~10-15 seconds total to type the emote before time runs out.

For instance, if you see the text

Though I have always been a paragon of generosity, some of my subjects—ungrateful pigs—once expressed discontent. Your Mad King says...

you can already prepare "/surprised" as the Mad King speaks and press enter when the timer starts.

You could also prepare copy/paste lists if that would be faster/easier than typing out the emotes manually.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

Once you have done it a couple of times, you will know which emote will follow and won't have this issue anymore.

What also helps is to activate the chat window early and type in the slash symbol to be ready for the emote. In addition, the English emotes are shorter in length than many of their translations.

I did have chat windows active and i had / symbol ready to type the emote command but that didn't help at all when every tried to typed the emote command and pressed enter fast as possible but it still was too late.

Although i did able to complete your mad king says event today first time on my second try today when there was lot less players doing the event and the progression bar didn't move as fast as it did on my todays first try when there was massive amount of players doing the event and the even progression bad moved extremely fast.

12 minutes ago, Futeko.9405 said:

I would suggest you keep the following list on a second monitor or print it to have it on hand: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Your_Mad_King_says...#"Your_Mad_King_says"_lines

Then you can already prepare the appropriate emote command while Mad King speaks the intro lines, which should give you ~10-15 seconds total to type the emote before time runs out.

For instance, if you see the text

you can already prepare "/surprised" as the Mad King speaks and press enter when the timer starts.

You could also prepare copy/paste lists if that would be faster/easier than typing out the emotes manually.

Well i don't use second monitor and i'm unable to print the your mad king says line list when my printer is broken.

I could use my phone or tablet to have the your mad king says line list open but i'm quite slow reader and needing to look two screens at the same time, finding the correct line and then type the correct emote command in time makes doing the your mad king says even lot harder for me which is why i only keep eyes on the chat wondow it self and wait until mad king says "your mad king says" line and wait for the name of the emote.

Did anything change compared to the past events? Never felt the timer is very tight and I don't concider myself a "fast typer" and english isn't my first language, so I often have to think "how's this spelled again?" for a moment. @Ashantara.8731 's advice is spot on, using a 2nd monitor (or worse- Alt+Tabbing) and copy/pasting will more likely take longer.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, UNDEAD.6108 said:

I did have chat windows active and i had / symbol ready to type the emote command but that didn't help at all when every tried to typed the emote command and pressed enter fast as possible but it still was too late. [...]

There is no progress bar, the bar you see to the right indicates the remaining time window in which you can emote, which is always the same.

Also worth mentioning is that you cannot type the emote and press Enter prematutely or it will result in a failure. You wait for said time bar to pop up before you press Enter.

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Confused 1

38 minutes ago, Nash.2681 said:

Did anything change compared to the past events? Never felt the timer is very tight and I don't concider myself a "fast typer" and english isn't my first language, so I often have to think "how's this spelled again?" for a moment. @Ashantara.8731 's advice is spot on, using a 2nd monitor (or worse- Alt+Tabbing) and copy/pasting will more likely take longer.

Last time i did halloween festival was back in 2012 and only thing i remember about halloween festival 2012 event was that i completed the Mad Memoires: Complete Edition achievement.

For the your mad king says event which was introduced in halloween festival 2012 (according to Guild Wars 2 wiki) but i don't remember did i try to do the your king says event when i don't have any of historical achievements from the your mad king says event and in Guild Wars 2 wiki there is nothing about your mad king says event achievements from halloween festival 2012 either.

4 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

Also worth mentioning is that you cannot type the emote and press Enter prematutely or it will result in a failure. You wait for said time bar to pop up before you press Enter.

I used to emote too fast and wondered why I was failing with the correct emotes.

Another helpful thing is that King Thorn will often repeat commands back to back.  If you have the chat box selected you can just press the up key and whatever you said last will appear in the text box.  You still have to press enter at the correct time.

I just have npc dialogue on in chat. It's faster than listening for the words and also more precise. Doubly so if you are bad at spelling.

IF you don't see "Mad King says" you can afk that part and ignore what he says.

If he does say Mad king says, you're already focused on the chat window.

It's a bit annoying where he moves though.

Also you can get 3 wrong.

Edited by ArchonWing.9480