Remove Treb From Battle of Khylo

Chilli.2976

@MithranArkanere.8957 said:

@Ben Phongluangtham.1065 said:We actually have some treb changes going into the next release.

We changed the control scheme to be ground targeted and we now pull the camera WAY up when you're using it. We want to see how changing the usability of the treb works before deciding on if the mechanic needs additional work.

That's one of the things I really wanted for it. That and having limited ammo that is restocked over the fight so people don't just sit on a trebuchet and instead shoot a few rounds then go back to the fight.

+1 on the limited ammo idea. This was something that I liked about the cannon on the old Capricorn map.

@Ben Phongluangtham.1065 said:

@Ben Phongluangtham.1065 said:We actually have some treb changes going into the next release.

We changed the control scheme to be ground targeted and we now pull the camera WAY up when you're using it. We want to see how changing the usability of the treb works before deciding on if the mechanic needs additional work.Is this PvP only or for WvW also where the treb was
designed to be used
? And has the damage vs fortified/reinforced walls/doors been buffed because current trebs havent kept up with the rest of the siege and its weak as all kitten or too expensive.

Just wondering. I am pretty sure I already know the answer.

Currently, just for PvP. It's something we've been evaluating for WvW as well. I was planning to start a topic on the WvW forums after it's been live in PvP for a week or so to see how people would feel about us to bring the aiming + camera change there as well.

While the change will probably be amazing for sPvP, with small and simple maps, WvW is more complicated - a few places have ceiling, so one wouldn't be able to aim properly, like in Fire Keep in Desert Borderlands.

@Dahkeus.8243 said:

@"Ben Phongluangtham.1065" said:We actually have some treb changes going into the next release.

We changed the control scheme to be ground targeted and we now pull the camera WAY up when you're using it. We want to see how changing the usability of the treb works before deciding on if the mechanic needs additional work.

That's one of the things I really wanted for it. That and having limited ammo that is restocked over the fight so people don't just sit on a trebuchet and instead shoot a few rounds then go back to the fight.

+1 on the limited ammo idea. This was something that I liked about the cannon on the old Capricorn map.

But it could be simpler, just reloaded over time. Or a mere ammo drop every 3 minutes and work like the Capricorn cannon, without an ammo depot that can be damaged, just take the ammo and bring it to the trebuchet.

The point is just shifting the attention from the trebuchets back to the capture points when the ammo is used up, and to the ammo and the trebuchets when the ammo drops. This is how generally things go in most maps, with recurrent map mechanics that aren't always present.

The camera has been pulled too far up, since it is very hard to see enemies, which is the whole point of the treb on this map. I could see this working in WvW though, since the structures are clear to see, and the WvW trebs are designed primarily for structures. But in those cases where you would want to aim at the enemy, using dead cows, this would remain a problem for WvW.

The treb is now more like the earlier version of the Skyhammer laser, except in that map the enemies were clear to view and target from the laser. Khylo would work better if that implementation could be duplicated.

That said, I'm not clear what problem is being addressed with the new treb function. Hopefully at some point you can talk more about that. Recently (Feb 6th patch?) the Khylo scaffolding at mid was fixed in a way that it was not interrupting as many treb shots, so that was nice. Kind of wish it was left like that for the time being.

The trebuchet is WAY better now. Specially the camera once you get used to zooming and moving it.

The default position is a tad too high, though. It could start lower and more focused on the current line of target of the trebuchet. I'd be nice to have something like the original trebuchet tooltip that appears when using one in heart of the mists, reminding players they can zoom and move the camera.

But other than that it's almost perfect.

You can actually properly aim and hit what you want, and fire ahead of enemies to stop them in their path, if you are good at predicting you can even get enemies trying to run away.It may be a bit too powerful in the right hands, even. So I still think we could use limited ammo for it.

@GDchiaScrub.3241 said:

We changed the control scheme to be ground targeted and we now pull the camera WAY up when you're using it. We want to see how changing the usability of the treb works before deciding on if the mechanic needs additional work.Is this PvP only or for WvW also where the treb was
designed to be used
? And has the damage vs fortified/reinforced walls/doors been buffed because current trebs havent kept up with the rest of the siege and its weak as all kitten or too expensive.

Currently, just for PvP. It's something we've been evaluating for WvW as well. I was planning to start a topic on the WvW forums after it's been live in PvP for a week or so to see how people would feel about us to bring the aiming + camera change there as well.

Ground targeting might reduce the effectiveness of afk-holding-down-trebfire in WvW.

Or make it worse.

Its way easier to leave your mouse pointer on the enemy wall and setting a macro to press number 1 every 5 seconds.

@SoulSin.5682 said:

designed to be used

Ground targeting might reduce the effectiveness of afk-holding-down-trebfire in WvW.

Or make it worse.

Its way easier to leave your mouse pointer on the enemy wall and setting a macro to press number 1 every 5 seconds.

Hypothetically attempting to use exact interval macros usually should not succeed in character form. I presume (hypothetically still!), that the same would be true on siege equipment. Of course (maybe!) that being on siege equipment makes you exempt from such things that prevent this method of afking making either method plausible.

Archived