Item Boosters - Do they pay off?

It's been bugging me for some time now. I quite like gathering(having to avoid mobs and survive makes it a lot more interesting than in other games) and was quite excited to find a number of boosters for it. But that price tag though... It seems like no matter what you do, the boost won't even pay for itself most of the time? Am I missing something?

No.Boosters suck except specific situations:

• Unidentified items ( more or less 35/40 stacks per hour ).
  • SPvP/WvW massive farm ( 50% extra track reward ).

Or else, a birthday booster in order to cap Tyria masteries by exploiting CoF P1 for some hours.

I am in agreement with @Shirlias.8104 on them.

Except in specific situations, they are not worth the cost to purchase from the gem store (in either real money or in-game gold).

If you receive any kind of booster for free* then I guess activating and using them is better than not, though the active benefit is mostly not noticeable.

(*gifted from someone, character birthday gifts, gotten from leveling or a map reward, or from a black lion chest whose key was acquired by gameplay and not purchased)

@Shirlias.8104 said:No.Boosters suck except specific situations:

• Unidentified items ( more or less 35/40 stacks per hour ).
  • SPvP/WvW massive farm ( 50% extra track reward ).

I agree with this too, I wouldn't buy a booster but I have some from log in rewards or achievement chests and I do use them for Unidentified Items, but I make sure I have stacks and stacks of them to identify before I use one.

Boosters are great but don't buy them from the gem store, it's just a bad deal. The same is true with the vast majority of the items in the "Utility" section of the gemstore, if they can be found as drops/rewards. But I gotta run, Evon Gnashblade just put a hit on me.

@EpicName.4523 said:I find boosters great when you want to lvl a crafting skill. 400-500 becomes much more manageable. Other than this, though...

I...don't think that pays off either. I mean, the boost is ~20g at least and I don't think 400-500 of any discipline gets to enough of a loss to justify it.

But, well, figured they were too expensive. Such a shame, would've really liked to use them more often.

I've got dozens of unused boosters on my bank (from achievement rewards and the like), that's how great they are.They're great when you're doing very specific things (like @Shirlias.8104 mentioned), but that's pretty much it.You can also use them to max out magic find + Silverwastes, banners, foods, and such to open big stacks of Lucky envelopes, open SW chests of Unidentified items.

But honestly it's not one of those things i'd ever buy from the gemstore. You get plenty from achievements and Birthdays.

Archived