Bring back Sword #1 animation please!

Djahlat.9610

Here is a link to what it used to be like for those who were not around:

The problem we had with it, though, was that it rooted you in place, made it nearly impossible to dodge instantly.However, it made you stick to moving targets (that's right, you hitting a moving target would make you move with them without touching your movement keys)Lots of criticism were issued concerning it, and they fixed the rooting problem, however they turned it into the generic "Swing your sword, swing your sword again" (nod to Colin Johanson's contribution to the game Manifesto pre-release).

So my request would be to bring back the old animation. It was so good and unique, it made us feel like real swordsmen who elegantly danced with our sword and our body.

Edit: I don't want the gap closer back, literally nothing BUT the animation. So basically keep the current mechanical behaviour of the skill, but with the old animation.

@TwiceDead.1963 said:If they fix the rooting issue, sure.If not, no. I prefer to be able to dodge at will.

Agree. Atm sword is our main weapon (tool) for defensive/dodge ... if first skill wouldn't allow us to dodge, than I don't see the point to use sword anymore, because in matter of damage is not so good.

PS: I talk only from sPVP and WvW perspective ;)

@Dragonzhunter.8506 said:

@TwiceDead.1963 said:If they fix the rooting issue, sure.If not, no. I prefer to be able to dodge at will.

Agree. Atm sword is our main weapon (tool) for defensive/dodge ... if first skill wouldn't allow us to dodge, than I don't see the point to use sword anymore, because in matter of damage is not so good.

Sorry I might have been unclear in my intent: I am asking for the animation to be brought back, but with the current mechanical functionality

@Djahlat.9610 said:

Sorry I might have been unclear in my intent: I am asking for the animation to be brought back, but with the current mechanical functionality

How can a character perform a dodge in the middle of a jump forward animation?

Can you imagine a warrior dodge into a different direction during savage leap, weird isn’t it?

I think if we want to keep the old animation, an alternative way is to give evade frame during the leap.

@Crossaber.8934 said:

@"TwiceDead.1963" said:If they fix the rooting issue, sure.If not, no. I prefer to be able to dodge at will.

Can you imagine a warrior dodge into a different direction during savage leap, weird isn’t it?

I think if we want to keep the old animation, an alternative way is to give evade frame during the leap.

Any skill can be interrupted by the caster by using an instant movement skill, like Lightning Reflexes. When Sword #1 rooted you in place, it interrupted the animation at "odd" moments, yet no one complained about that. Also, I am rather certain that this minor detail would not make anyone wish they had the generic sword-swinging over the actual Slash-Kick-Pounce-ing

@Djahlat.9610 said:

@"TwiceDead.1963" said:If they fix the rooting issue, sure.If not, no. I prefer to be able to dodge at will.

Any skill can be interrupted by the caster by using an instant movement skill, like Lightning Reflexes. When Sword #1 rooted you in place, it interrupted the animation at "odd" moments, yet no one complained about that. Also, I am rather certain that this minor detail would make anyone wish they had the generic sword-swinging over the actual Slash-Kick-Pounce-ing

Ok, I think you are joking now ... how in the kitten you use a skill for interrupt another skill only for dodge. I mean in desperate situation yes, but still ... this is stupid.And I think that you are so wrong ... I think most of ppl (real rangers) want to stay with actual animation instead of rooted old one, even maybe (I say maybe) the old one looks (only for fashion) better.

Ah, the old times. Though using an instant was an option, the other bag-of-tricks before were to swap weapons, stow weapons or press ESC to cancel and dodge. Training wheels were to take off auto-attack and manually press it in a rhythm, which had a damage output lower than the current set if I recall.

As much as I miss the old animations, I don't miss those times. Though, I get that you are basically asking for an animation replacer without the leaps. I'd settle for that, too. Heck, I just want the second hit in the auto chain to cleave already. :angry:

@Dragonzhunter.8506 said:

Any skill can be interrupted by the caster by using an instant movement skill, like Lightning Reflexes. When Sword #1 rooted you in place, it interrupted the animation at "odd" moments, yet no one complained about that. Also, I am rather certain that this minor detail would make anyone wish they had the generic sword-swinging over the actual Slash-Kick-Pounce-ing

Ok, I think you are joking now ... how in the kitten you use a skill for interrupt another skill only for dodge. I mean in desperate situation yes, but still ... this is stupid.And I think that you are so wrong ... I think most of ppl (real rangers) want to stay with actual animation instead of rooted old one, even maybe (I say maybe) the old one looks (only for fashion) better.

facepalm you completely missed my point. Back in the days, this is how we had to interrupt the animation so we could dodge. What I am asking is for the old animation to be brought back but minus the rooting problem. I thought my clarification made it easier to understand.In simpler words: Old animations, but with new mechanic. There, I don't think it's possible for someone to misunderstand me now.

@Djahlat.9610 said:facepalm you completely missed my point. Back in the days, this is how we had to interrupt the animation so we could dodge. What I am asking is for the old animation to be brought back but minus the rooting problem. I thought my clarification made it easier to understand.In simpler words: Old animations, but with new mechanic. There, I don't think it's possible for someone to misunderstand me now.

Ok

@"Djahlat.9610" said:Here is a link to what it used to be like for those who were not around:

The problem we had with it, though, was that it rooted you in place, made it nearly impossible to dodge instantly.However, it made you stick to moving targets (that's right, you hitting a moving target would make you move with them without touching your movement keys)Lots of criticism were issued concerning it, and they fixed the rooting problem, however they turned it into the generic "Swing your sword, swing your sword again" (nod to Colin Johanson's contribution to the game Manifesto pre-release).

So my request would be to bring back the old animation. It was so good and unique, it made us feel like real swordsmen who elegantly danced with our sword and our body.

oh my god no ever. Please almost everybody hated that chained animation, me the most.

The complete lack of control was austounding, you would fall out of cliffs and bridges like most of the time. And let’s not forget about the terrible locking animation.

So no, i hope Anet ignores this terrible idea.

If you want a way to stick to the target is dagger offhand which should be changed to have a teleport in dagger 5 similar to guardian’s judge intervervention which applies bleed and cripple, so no need to target and can be used to increase mobility while using sword, axe or dagger MH.

Dagger 4 could be another smaller gap closer, maybe a 600 leap with evade which is required a target, can apply poison and daze so can be used a as defensive skill.

Simple as that and you have all the gap closers you may need in pvp without loosing functionality.

What you are asking for is for a pve perspective to have the “hit once on boss and go to watch a movie” type of disgusting ideology of how ranger should be played.

@anduriell.6280 said:

@Djahlat.9610 said:Here is a link to what it used to be like for those who were not around:

oh my god no ever. Please almost everybody hated that chained animation, me the most.

The complete lack of control was austounding, you would fall out of cliffs and bridges like most of the time. And let’s not forget about the terrible locking animation.

So no, i hope Anet ignores this terrible idea.

If you want a way to stick to the target is dagger offhand which should be changed to have a teleport in dagger 5 similar to guardian’s judge intervervention which applies bleed and cripple, so no need to target and can be used to increase mobility while using sword, axe or dagger MH.

Dagger 4 could be another smaller gap closer, maybe a 600 leap with evade which is required a target, can apply poison and daze so can be used a as defensive skill.

Simple as that and you have all the gap closers you may need in pvp without loosing functionality.

What you are asking for is for a pve perspective to have the “hit once on boss and go to watch a movie” type of disgusting ideology of how ranger should be played.

Hi, I think you may have missed the point of my post, so I'll just quote myself if you'll allow me :

@Djahlat.9610 said:What I am asking is for the old animation to be brought back but minus the rooting problem. I thought my clarification made it easier to understand.In simpler words: Old animations, but with new mechanic. There, I don't think it's possible for someone to misunderstand me now.

@Prophet.1584 said:i'd prefer a small gap closer on sword #2 instead of the disengage. Sword leaps killed many people back in the day......R.I.P.

Oh I'm not advocating for any gap closer, just an animation change which would not change the way the skill acts, simply how it looks. And yeah it did cause a lot of trouble for people who didn't know the workarounds, such as deactivating the autoattack, weaponswapping, instant casting, or stowing weapons

@Djahlat.9610 said:Yeh I think you didn’t see the part where I wrote you also ended up flying off bridges and cliffs. Anyhow your opening post don’t reflect your last comment and it should.

Also that’s not going to happen. It didn’t the first 4 years it won’t happen now.

That chain promote passive gameplay and that’s what anet is fighting now. And I feriously agree with them about that.

Again, if you need a gap closer dagger offhand should be changed to be an active gap closer. That weapon is terrible now and not used anymore anyway.

If you want old mechanics back, Why don’t you fight to bring the Spirits unbound trait back? That trait made the ranger to have some use in a comp in wvw and PvP.

I think we should focus there so ranger may get an spot in some parties instead being discarded...

@anduriell.6280 said:

@Djahlat.9610 said:Yeh I think you didn’t see the part where I wrote you also ended up flying off bridges and cliffs. Anyhow your opening post don’t reflect your last comment and it should.

Also that’s not going to happen. It didn’t the first 4 years it won’t happen now.

That chain promote passive gameplay and that’s what anet is fighting now. And I feriously agree with them about that.

Again, if you need a gap closer dagger offhand should be changed to be an active gap closer. That weapon is terrible now and not used anymore anyway.

If you want old mechanics back, Why don’t you fight to bring the Spirits unbound trait back? That trait made the ranger to have some use in a comp in wvw and PvP.

I think we should focus there so ranger may get an spot in some parties instead being discarded...

I hear you and it seems we're not talking about the same thing. I don't want the old mechanics back, just the animation. Which means it would act exactly as it does today, but just look cooler like before.

These animations look really clunky.. maybe it's because the golem is still?

Anyway, i like the current animations. If you look at them they seem to be quite unique, as if you're dancing with your sword (might simply be my race though, playing human male). Unlike warriors or thieves who just seem to stab and swing, it has a lot of grace. Very satisfying to wield bolt and see it whirl and twirl :P

@Djahlat.9610 said:

I hear you and it seems we're not talking about the same thing. I don't want the old mechanics back, just the animation. Which means it would act
exactly
as it does today, but just look cooler like before.

I think it is okay to bring back the kick animation to AA chain 2; for the leap on the old animation 3rd chain, it will be very weird if it looks like a leap but don't act like one.

If it does jump forward, player should not able to dodge during the leap. If it don't jump forward, it looks chunky as hell like hitting the golem.

Archived