Why must we have nearly half a million files download nearly once a week?

When I log on, about once a week the game wants to download nearly half a million files, which, on my otherwise adequate connection taks up to one hour. Sure, I can usually start playing before the DL is finished, but only at a speed penalty. Is this really necessary?

Nearly half a million files? The game itself is about ~430-450k files. Throughout the past 2-3 weeks, I've launched the game to see something that looked like a new build downloading at first. It wasn't until I looked at the number of files that I realized it was the whole game reinstalling itself. It's happened to me twice now and I have yet to find the cause. I've talked to Anet about it and they don't know how it could have happened either.

Consider yourself lucky though. It's taken me between 5-7 hours to reinstall it each time.

I do notice it is important to let the D/L finish. If I run the game when it's playable, the remaining D/L takes forever, and probably won't finish during that session, so next time I start, it continues. That is good, of course, but it can mean that the total D/L takes days.Hans

Again, something with your system is going on. Are you overclocking anything? Computer and other games can appear to work fine, but bad settings on ram or cpu can corrupt the .dat file (generally would require a repair, not an entire redownload though). So can a defective hdd or ssd, of course. Have you scanned the hdd/ssd? Or have you not logged in since the 9th and your bandwidth is so low that the update from April 10th is taking 2 hours? Based on what you said before, it seems like you are constantly redownloaded the whole game. This may seem unrelated but covers a few things far easier: Do you restart/shut down your computer daily, or weekly or not at all when it begins redownloading? Are you sure your antivirus isn't sandboxing gw2 and getting rid of it weekly? I'm just throwing a few things out there, because something is going on to cause that, but it is most assuredly something with your computer causing that.

There was a tiny download of 30-40K files again in the launcher today, but for these to take 2 hours to download, you must be on a tiny connection or very very limited bandwidth? As both Lunacy and Red Haired Savage are suggesting; this is definitely something wrong with your PC - these small updates in the launcher are done in max 5 seconds on my system.

I haven't found anything like suggested. But it does seem that I get a total D/L every time there is an update. My HW is not really up to date, I have only 4G RAM, and the whole machine is a bit (over 7 years) old. Well, I'm working on a HW update. ... What would be the requirements for an adequate computer?

Hans

Where, exactly, is your GW2 folder located? If you are downloading to a temporary location each time, it will download the entire game over and over.What speed is your bandwidth? You are not using dial-up, or something, are you?

You could certainly use more RAM, but that would not really affect downloading the entire .dat file each time.

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:Where, exactly, is your GW2 folder located? If you are downloading to a temporary location each time, it will download the entire game over and over.What speed is your bandwidth? You are not using dial-up, or something, are you?

You could certainly use more RAM, but that would not really affect downloading the entire .dat file each time.

No I can't imagine it's temporary. It doesn't do it every time. Just quite often, for example again just now.No, cable. About 2MB.Hans

@MRC Hans.7361 said:

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:Where, exactly, is your GW2 folder located? If you are downloading to a temporary location each time, it will download the entire game over and over.What speed is your bandwidth? You are not using dial-up, or something, are you?

No I can't imagine it's temporary. It doesn't do it every time. Just quite often, for example again just now.No, cable. About 2MB.Hans

Ah, seems it's more like 5MB if I do nothing else.

Archived