Several game crashes since update (2018-03-27)

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:If you are 100% certain it's not 3rd party tool causing crashes, you may do the following:
  1. Open your %appdata% folder, go to Guild Wars 2 directory, remove what's inside (it's going to reset your login, password and in-game graphic and sound settings)
  2. Go to %temp% folder, find directory called "gw2cache-{random numebers chain} and remove it altogether.

If the game is still crashing, follow Gaile's advice and submit support ticket. I have 0 issues with running the game, no crashes, no dcs (other than my router hiccups). I'm not using 3rd party apps. So there must be the problem on your sides, not game's.

I always clean the temporary folder before I shut down my PC, using CCleaner. Also, the appdata folder holds screenshots as well, so advising to delete the whole thing isn't smart. Furthermore, my settings have zero to do with this issue.

And saying it was a problem on our end, is pretty impertinent. These types of issues have occured several times before in the past and were always fixed when new patches were downloaded - so it's not people's computer's fault, especially when they aren't using third party software other than their firewall and anti-virus.

Properly installed gw2 should store screenshots in Documents folder, not in AppData. If you refuse trying these and all you care about is bashing company here, I seize further interaction with you.

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:If you are 100% certain it's not 3rd party tool causing crashes, you may do the following:

1. Open your %appdata% folder, go to Guild Wars 2 directory, remove what's inside (it's going to reset your login, password and in-game graphic and sound settings)
  2. Go to %temp% folder, find directory called "gw2cache-{random numbers chain} and remove it altogether.

If the game is still crashing, follow Gaile's advice and submit support ticket. I have 0 issues with running the game, no crashes,no dcs (other than my router hiccups). I'm not using 3rd party apps. So there must be the problem on your sides, not game's.

Plus I rebooted my system last night and had more crashes today. Every time I boot, I have a script to clear all temp directories (because Windows is a pig), including the local temps, especially the one used by Guild Wars 2. >> Theory Crafting Fail <<

So, if I've made no updates nor changes to my system in a month and the day of the update I start getting random crashes, you point the figure at other stuff? Interesting diagnosis.

@"Ashantara.8731" said:And saying it was a problem on our end, is pretty impertinent....well said

Attached: Reddit topic

@"Gaile Gray.6029" said:Hey guys,

Rumor has it that one or more third-party programs do not play nicely with our game, as of yesterday's update. As you know, we don't vet, approve, support, or condone the use of such programs, and naturally we're not going to re-engineer the game to work with whatever-the-heck that program may be. But if you are using a third-party program, that may be a cause for crashes and you should consider uninstalling it to see if that corrects the issue.

If you are not using a third-party program and are having crashing issues, the best way to get support is to contact CS through a ticket.

I'll say that as for me, the only third party things that should might be interfacing with the game I'd know of are Steam because I launch every game with as do many others, (and their screenshot database is rather handy which I use fairly frequently, also used to load my gamepad profile if I choose to play that way, would be nice if we could get a UI for that but that's a completely different topic that's unlikely to happen lol) and well, Microsoft's Game Bar which is kind of a thing that's there, I guess I do use that once in a blue moon, it's nice for quick video clip captures without leaving a bulky thing like GFE running all the time. I know there's a number of third party overlays out there that just overlay web based official API data over the game without actually modifying it but even then I don't use that either I have a second monitor and can leave it in a browser tab or something, then there's arcdps which I know is a fairly big cause of crashes after patches as it should due to how it works. The only ones I'm using shouldn't even directly interact with the game at all.

As for me if I crash they seem to happen when zoning, and generally it seems to happen more often when going into a city than anywhere else in particular, but I'm not sure I've noticed if it's any one city specifically. While many crashes tend to just force quit the game often not even leaving a trace in the Windows event viewer, the ones since this patch have triggered anet's crash reporter sender which I've sent in a few reports with under the email address this account is attached to, so if that helps anet any, take a peek because the Game Bar is part of Windows that's not something that should be trifled with, and Steam is pretty agnostic towards things and unless Steam's API is tied to the game, isn't usually a big deal.

Edit: I decided to go rooting through the ArenaNet.log file generated from these crashes, anet should have more on their end already since I know I submitted at least two of these, for safety purposes I'm not going to dump a whole log here however now that I've broke this log down and read it I've ascertained a few things.

First of all, all the new crashes for me are occurring via this function's assert every time:Assertion: IsCameraAvailable()File: ......\Game\WorldView\WvContext.cpp(302)App: Gw2-64.exePid: 24804Cmdline:BaseAddr: 00007FF6AD7F0000ProgramId: 101Build: 87476

However, I'm quite sure this has something specifically to do with Divinity's Reach, in my case, anyway. Perhaps it could be one of the new chairs? If so maybe any zone that has one triggers it. The reason I bring up the chairs is remember me saying earlier that my crashes all occurred during loading screens? If I read the log messages leading up to the crash, the big thing that's common in every one of them is that the source zone I'm moving out of is not always the same, the target is: It's always "MapId: 18" which from opening the official API, I can tell is Divinity's Reach, (check for yourself here: https://api.guildwars2.com/v2/maps/18) all the source maps I exit from to come in, are different. I know this, because the "Game Content" section of the crash report, shows the map that you were in before the crash and it's always a different number.

I see two big links always the same in these crashes on my end. The first is the assert above, it's always the same function, code file, and line every time. The second big link, is that one of the last 3-5 lines before crashing, every time is this one: "Map load hang on STATE_MODELS_STREAM detected: MapId: 18, Position: (3167.820068, -1375.329956, -5410.100098), Completion: 0.000000" For me anyway, it always seems to be the same map and the same position as well, exactly.

Not sure if that'll lead to any fixes but would be nice :)

There was also Nvidia drivers update this week. I don't use geforce experience and automated updates so still using old drivers without problems in GW2.

Maybe that's what breaks your game? Because the fact that people are playing the game without problems and only some of you experience issues after the patch suggest that problem is not on game's side.

• ArenaNet Staff

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@Gaile Gray.6029 said:If you are not using a third-party program and are having crashing issues, the best way to get support is to contact CS through a ticket.

I wasn't using any third-party programs in connection with GW2 when the crashes occured. Also, GW2 is put in the list of exceptions for my anti-virus. So...

Anyway, no more crashes for me after the second patch.

Great to hear. I'm glad you're back without crashing issues. Thanks for letting us know. :)

@"Linebreaker.7904" said:I have no 3rd party add ons. It still crashed.

Considering there seem to always be bugs attached to patches why is the first thing that people say "disable 3rd party programs"?

Are things better for you now? If not, would you please send a note to CS? Sometimes we ascertain a problem we were not aware of through tickets from players, so they may be able to identify an individual issue you're having, or you may be contributing to a bigger fix. Thanks for considering doing that.

@"Linebreaker.7904" said:Considering there seem to always be bugs attached to patches why is the first thing that people say "disable 3rd party programs"?

Because it's usual occurance for people using ArcDPS to experience crashes after patches. This tool is popular but people don't read instructions.

Still crashing every 10 minutes or so. This happens standing still, moving, fighting, selling, etc. This also happens regardless of where I am on the map or time of day. I have repaired twice. This started right after the 3/27 patch and has continued with varying degrees of frequency.

The error code is consistent. Code = 7:11:3:191:101 connection to server lost. This is happening to my playing partner also.

Need to add that it is not crashing and giving me a report. It is kicking me out to the select screen and sometime completely out.

I've had no crashes since the latest patch.

Since my crashes were happening after I log in and have done nothing but stand still while chatting, I wonder if it's related to the changes that have been going on with refreshing the client's copy of contact information. The Contact page hasn't been right since it was broken a few releases ago.

Now, my guildies complain about being unable to invite guildies to maps because they're marked as offline. We run [sW] maps, so we use this constantly. The workaround for the invite trouble is to press 'G' to cause the client to refresh its copy of the guild roster. I can appreciate that Anet wants to try to eliminate extra server load by reducing extra client queries, but the strategy needs to be improved a bit.

I've actually started crashing since the nVidia driver update that came out around the same time. I've never experienced crashes in Guild Wars 2 before. If anyone is experiencing very frequent crashes (3-5 minutes of play, then a crash dialog comes up) consider reverting from 391.xx to the previous driver version, 388.xx - this fixed it for me!

Archived