Gold exchange... 50G for 253 Gems?

I'm not sure why they'd put those exact numbers on the image advertising the gold-to-gem exchange because that number fluctuates based on the players trading gold or trading gems. So, even if the exchange rate was 50g for 253 gems when they first put up the image, those numbers would only be correct for a short period of time.

If you click on the Currency Exchange Tab, you'll see the basic exchange page. You have to click on Custom Exchange (at the bottom of the Currency Exchange page) to type in the specific number of gems you're wanting to purchase with gold. As of right now, it's 71g94s4c to buy 253 gems or 259 gems to get 50 gold.

@RoseofGilead.8907 said:I'm not sure why they'd put those exact numbers on the image advertising the gold-to-gem exchange because that number fluctuates based on the players trading gold or trading gems. So, even if the exchange rate was 50g for 253 gems when they first put up the image, those numbers would only be correct for a short period of time.

If you click on the Currency Exchange Tab, you'll see the basic exchange page. You have to click on Custom Exchange (at the bottom of the Currency Exchange page) to type in the specific number of gems you're wanting to purchase with gold. As of right now, it's 71g94s4c to buy 253 gems or 259 gems to get 50 gold.

No, the rate is correct within a few silver. You're thinking of gold to gems but the advertising says you can buy 50g using 253 gems which is correct.

@MarshallLaw.9260 said:

@RoseofGilead.8907 said:I'm not sure why they'd put those exact numbers on the image advertising the gold-to-gem exchange because that number fluctuates based on the players trading gold or trading gems. So, even if the exchange rate was 50g for 253 gems when they first put up the image, those numbers would only be correct for a short period of time.

No, the rate is correct within a few silver. You're thinking of
gold
to
gems
but the advertising says you can
buy
50g using 253 gems which is correct.

I noted both exchanges at the end of my post. It's 255 right now, and it was 259 when I made my post earlier. Again, though, my point is that it fluctuates so often that it's kind of pointless to have an image showing a specific exchange rate.

@RoseofGilead.8907 said:

No, the rate is correct within a few silver. You're thinking of
gold
to
gems
but the advertising says you can
buy
50g using 253 gems which is correct.

I noted both exchanges at the end of my post. It's 255 right now, and it was 259 when I made my post earlier. Again, though, my point is that it fluctuates so often that it's kind of pointless to have an image showing a specific exchange rate.

Right you are. We would struggle to pinpoint the exact price as it fluctuates so quickly, but we can agree that it usually stays close to the advertised rate.

Ah thats it, I guess its worded very trickily. "50 Gold for 253 Gems" made me assume for my 50 Gold i could get 253 gems. Guess its just a matter of poor wording.

I do have to say how its written does mean that for 50 gold you should get 253 gems. Disappointing regardless, wish they would be more clear in their advertising. Feels semi deceiving to me, maybe not purposefully deceiving but deceiving none the less.

@"joevw.1253" said:Ah thats it, I guess its worded very trickily. "50 Gold for 253 Gems" made me assume for my 50 Gold i could get 253 gems. Guess its just a matter of poor wording.

I do have to say how its written does mean that for 50 gold you should get 253 gems. Disappointing regardless, wish they would be more clear in their advertising. Feels semi deceiving to me, maybe not purposefully deceiving but deceiving none the less.

Their posting a rate, which is only possible in the exact moment, since it fluctuates that much.

The same thing happens at currency exchange in the airport: they have all their rates posted on a board, and those change at various times. Worse, if the rate becomes more favorable in the markets, the vendor won't pass on that to you; you'll still get the posted rate. And if the markets tank, the vendor will update their rates, to make sure of a minimum profit.

At least with GW2's exchange, you're always getting market rate (less Evon Gnashblade's fees, of ~18%).

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@"joevw.1253" said:Ah thats it, I guess its worded very trickily. "50 Gold for 253 Gems" made me assume for my 50 Gold i could get 253 gems. Guess its just a matter of poor wording.

Their posting a rate, which is only possible in the exact moment, since it fluctuates that much.

The same thing happens at currency exchange in the airport: they have all their rates posted on a board, and those change at various times. Worse, if the rate becomes more favorable in the markets, the vendor won't pass on that to you; you'll still get the posted rate. And if the markets tank, the vendor will update their rates, to make sure of a minimum profit.

At least with GW2's exchange, you're always getting market rate (less Evon Gnashblade's fees, of ~18%).

Yeah im definitely not complaining about what the rates are, I am upset by the advertising of something that isnt really available. It is what it is, just a bummer lol.

@joevw.1253 said:Yeah im definitely not complaining about what the rates are, I am upset by the advertising of something that isnt really available. It is what it is, just a bummer lol.

My point is that it's never static. The moment you see that advert, other people are also enticed to convert, which changes the conversion rate. There's literally no way to have a dynamically evolving exchange and show a rate that will be accurate if you aren't converting in the same moment.

If it helps, i read it the same as you. It is easy enough to read it either way. I dont think it is quite crossing into deceptive, just grammatically ambivalent.

Archived