Last season I'll be playing "competitively"

Chilli.2976

@Chilli.2976 said:

@Jalal.6783 said:I play ranked because I like to kitten on kids.Fair enough lol.

@Jalal.6783 said:I play ranked because I like to kitten on kids. I know my own skill and what I'm worth. A number doesn't tell me how good I am, i determine that. Therefore, i don't sweat the number, i play as best as i can and that is enough for me

But I mean if you know your worth it don't you want to let other people know, get some recognition? It might just be a number but all your hard work to get the skill you have can be paid off with a sexy title a nice placement on the leaderboard for the community to see.

Hmm let me see, in Shadowbane there was no Rank that I was aware ofDark Ages of Camelot, I didn't play for recognition.Never cared about the Rank in WoW, and Battlegrounds (had no rank for a long time) were more fun than Arenas (Glorified duels)Warhammer- Yup, no rank.

I play for Fun and excitement. Getting a little something is always nice, but it's never been the motivation for playing, for me.Why do people play amateur sports?Do you feel you have something to prove?

The thing is if I want to play for "fun" I go and do PvE or WvW those game modes for me are fun. Though when you are playing with humans no AI and its structured there needs to be some sort of competitiveness or your just wasting your time IMO. I mean I guess everyone is different right, but for me personally I play to win and yeah I have fun but I also get frustrated because I have a competitive mindset. Whereas other people don't and that is totally fine, I'm not trying to argue and say everyone needs to have that mindset, but if you have the same mindset as me you'd understand the frustration.

I get the competitive side. For me personally, I dont know how anyone can fight 2 and have enough map/class awareness to know what matchups will be won or lost. I say that to say this... I dont know how competitive I can be, if I am not entirely sure why we won or lost a match. I can only do my job. When they(skynet) are changing classes left and right, changing the meta-- I'm not even sure at times how strong my build and how responsible I am for the win or loss.

But I feel ya,

Least you have a good time in wvw and Pve :) /cheers

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't count the amounts of times I've said in /team that pve specs don't work in pvp. At least 2 or 3 players every time pipe up and say they could care less that they are only there for pip farming.

Is this seriously what you want your competitive PvP environment to be?? Nobody should be playing a competitive game mode only to farm something. I know @Ben Phongluangtham.1065 had said Ranked is by far more popular than unranked. Well, I can guarantee you the pip farmers are the only reason why.

@Rufo.3716 said:I can't count the amounts of times I've said in /team that pve specs don't work in pvp. At least 2 or 3 players every time pipe up and say they could care less that they are only there for pip farming.

Is this seriously what you want your competitive PvP environment to be?? Nobody should be playing a competitive game mode only to farm something. I know @"Ben Phongluangtham.1065" had said Ranked is by far more popular than unranked. Well, I can guarantee you the pip farmers are the only reason why.

But unless the population is ABYSMAL or the Matchmaking is ABYSMAL then you shouldn't be playing with these people with "specs that don't work" ... so that won't affect you. Or, you're not as good as you think.

Which brings me to this. Ranked is not competitive. It's the illusion of competitiveness for a very small fraction of players who care about rank. Most are doing it for 1) fun or 2) rewards.

You will NEVER create a competitive, solo-q mode around GW2 combat, profession design, and conquest mode. Never ever. ATs, in that regard, are doing their job. Join a team if you want real competition. Or a bowling league.

@EnderzShadow.2506 said:

@Jalal.6783 said:I play ranked because I like to kitten on kids.Fair enough lol.

@Jalal.6783 said:I play ranked because I like to kitten on kids. I know my own skill and what I'm worth. A number doesn't tell me how good I am, i determine that. Therefore, i don't sweat the number, i play as best as i can and that is enough for me

But I mean if you know your worth it don't you want to let other people know, get some recognition? It might just be a number but all your hard work to get the skill you have can be paid off with a sexy title a nice placement on the leaderboard for the community to see.

Hmm let me see, in Shadowbane there was no Rank that I was aware ofDark Ages of Camelot, I didn't play for recognition.Never cared about the Rank in WoW, and Battlegrounds (had no rank for a long time) were more fun than Arenas (Glorified duels)Warhammer- Yup, no rank.

I play for Fun and excitement. Getting a little something is always nice, but it's never been the motivation for playing, for me.Why do people play amateur sports?Do you feel you have something to prove?

Maybe you're just bored.

I don't care about an in game plaque. What does that do for you in Real Life?If you were top five in the world at GW2 pvp and you strolled on into a bar and announced who you were, what does that get you exactly?

If you aren't enjoying yourself, an in game plaque or Title won't change that.

How is being at the top of the rankings in a game where your competing against other humans not a worthy accomplishment?

If i play the world champion of chess in an online game of chess and win is that not worth anything since it was on the internet in front of a screen?

I challenge you to remove thy head from rhy buttox my friend.

@Sampson.2403 said:

Maybe you're just bored.

I don't care about an in game plaque. What does that do for you in Real Life?If you were top five in the world at GW2 pvp and you strolled on into a bar and announced who you were, what does that get you exactly?

How is being at the top of the rankings in a game where your competing against other humans not a worthy accomplishment?

If i play the world champion of chess in an online game of chess and win is that not worth anything since it was on the internet in front of a screen?

Chess is balanced game. Up to player skill and intelligence only.

@Crab Fear.1624 said:

Maybe you're just bored.

Chess is balanced game. Up to player skill and intelligence only.

And chess is 1v1 (no team -- and no random team at that), where win trading is really hard to accomplish, and usually in a more tourney set-up instead of a "don't play too many games or you'll hurt your ranking -- just enough to handle decay" sort of format (if you have a strategy for keeping your ranking and that strategy is play the game less, then it's a dumb ass system)... i.e., the comparison to chess is laughable.

Ranked is a solo-q clown fiesta. Play only at 4 am every day and let me know how it goes for ya. If you want to make a comparison, why not professional basketball? That's a 5 on 5 team sport where one weak link can screw it for the rest of ya (though a Lebron can carry). Do think anybody would care about the NBA if teams were generated randomly before each game? And if some players were 7-foot men and others were 4-foot children (depending on what time of day the game was)?

Ranked is NOT "competitive" like a true esport or regular sport. It's the illusion of competitiveness because Anet craftily is tricking you with a "ranking" (which is only based on W/L ratio and NOTHING else ... which is why it's so easy to manipulate). It's like if Blizzard had put in a ranking system (based on record) for Alterac Valley battelgrounds ... and then people actually thinking their high rank meant something.

High rank in GW2 means you understand how conquest works, you play a good amount of games (but not too many and not off-peak), you understand basic combat, you probably play a more OP profession (or at least "meta") , you're good at GW2, and you got a little bit luckier with teammates than the other guys.

If you want true competitiveness -- if that's what you crave -- then join a team and play ATs.

@Sampson.2403 said:

Maybe you're just bored.

I didn't write that for you or anyone else. I wrote that for the OP.

There is nothing wrong with being top of the leader boards.I never said there was. There is nothing wrong with challenging yourself and meeting that goal.

The OP didn't sound like he was particularly enjoying himself.And since we all play this game for sport, for fun, for the enjoyment of it, why does their need to be rewards for it to be enjoyable?If you enjoy the competition and the bettering of ones self to make it to the top tier, that should be enough.Why would an in game Trophy or statue be the difference between playing and not playing?You agreed with me, in that.

Every game I mentioned came LONG before GW2 but influenced this game heavily.And in all those games, PvP was fun and Realm Vs Realm (the original WvW) was fun.None of those games were played for Trophies or Titles, all were played for fun and excitement.

But seeing as how I don't think you'll let this go,lets have at it, shall we?

Unless you're an ESL player or a Streamer, how well you do is absolutely meaningless to anyone but yourself.

No one cares. Why would they?In no way whatsoever does playing gw2 at a competitive level improve you or anyone elses life or skill set.Does your partner care?Does being the number one player give you a better sense of humor?Are you smarter, kinder or wiser because you're a great player of an online game?Does it raise your iq?After you sit at your computer for hours on end, do you have rock hard abs?Can it be shared with other people and make their life better?Are there starving kids and homeless dogs that are now taken care of because you won a virtual game?

I like the game, I have a lot of fun. But don't mislead yourself, it is meaningless fun.

I debated whether to even respond to this last part,

Chess is THE equal game. You can't even compare GW2 to current MOBAS in terms of strategy, balance and fairness.How can you compare Chess to GW2? If GW2 is an apple, Chess is the Universe.

@EnderzShadow.2506 said:

Maybe you're just bored.

I didn't write that for you or anyone else. I wrote that for the OP.

There is nothing wrong with being top of the leader boards.I never said there was. There is nothing wrong with challenging yourself and meeting that goal.

The OP didn't sound like he was particularly enjoying himself.And since we all play this game for sport, for fun, for the enjoyment of it, why does their need to be rewards for it to be enjoyable?If you enjoy the competition and the bettering of ones self to make it to the top tier, that should be enough.Why would an in game Trophy or statue be the difference between playing and not playing?You agreed with me, in that.

Every game I mentioned came LONG before GW2 but influenced this game heavily.And in all those games, PvP was fun and Realm Vs Realm (the original WvW) was fun.None of those games were played for Trophies or Titles, all were played for fun and excitement.

But seeing as how I don't think you'll let this go,lets have at it, shall we?

Unless you're an ESL player or a Streamer, how well you do is absolutely meaningless to anyone but yourself.

No one cares. Why would they?In no way whatsoever does playing gw2 at a competitive level improve you or anyone elses life or skill set.Does your partner care?Does being the number one player give you a better sense of humor?Are you smarter, kinder or wiser because you're a great player of an online game?Does it raise your iq?After you sit at your computer for hours on end, do you have rock hard abs?Can it be shared with other people and make their life better?Are there starving kids and homeless dogs that are now taken care of because you won a virtual game?

I like the game, I have a lot of fun. But don't mislead yourself, it is meaningless fun.

I debated whether to even respond to this last part,

Chess is THE equal game. You can't even compare GW2 to current MOBAS in terms of strategy, balance and fairness.How can you compare Chess to GW2? If GW2 is an apple, Chess is the Universe.

Okay let me get this straight. In your opinion, unless something is done at the pro level, its meaningless fun?

I play basketball and soccer in amateur leagues and i love the competitive respect, sense of fulfillment/accomplishment and recognition from my peers. Online gaming at any level is no different.

I don't need, using your brilliant examples, to cure hunger n provide shelter for homeless dogs, double my iq, produce 6 pack abs or improve other peoples lives to get meaningful fun from my hobbies k thx bai pwned.

@EnderzShadow.2506 said:What meaning would you like to give to gw2?

My 'brilliant' example was a failure, as it was intended to match your comprehension.

Cleary most people here care about their rank and enjoy investing time to be good at the game and ur coming in and basically calling us suckers because of it.

I'm simply saying ACCESS DENIED bro. :+1:

@Sampson.2403 said:

My 'brilliant' example was a failure, as it was intended to match your comprehension.

Cleary most people here care about their rank and enjoy investing time to be good at the game and ur coming in and basically calling us suckers because of it.

I enjoy playing the game and I try to improve when I play.But you are implying I am calling you suckers for doing the same thing I enjoy?That makes no sense.

I have fun, but a loss isn't going to ruin my night. I'm not taking it to heart.Win some, lose some--hopefully I net out with more fun.I won't lose any sleep over an online game.

I see a lot of people thinking they can't enjoy the game until they reach a certain rank or like the OP mentioned, have a 'trophy'.That's simply not true.

@EnderzShadow.2506 said:

I enjoy playing the game and I try to improve when I play.But you are implying I am calling you suckers for doing the same thing I enjoy?That makes no sense.

I have fun, but a loss isn't going to ruin my night. I'm not taking it to heart.Win some, lose some--hopefully I net out with more fun.I won't lose any sleep over an online game.

I see a lot of people thinking they can't enjoy the game until they reach a certain rank or like the OP mentioned, have a 'trophy'.That's simply not true.

I don't think you guys are necessarily disagreeing here... just seeing it from different perspectives.

IMO, Anet's ranking system is a pseudo attempt to mix PVE with PVP to appease both playerbases. This inevitably drives out true PVPers and leaves a disgruntled PVE player base chasing after pseudo PVP rewards.

I understand the high you get from chasing PVE gear but IMO, it doesn't compare to the high you get from having real PVP experiences. That high and memorable experiences stay with you for life while the high you get from chasing PVE gear loses its luster as you age. Anet needs to commit to making PVP an actual PVP experience if they want to ever have the hope of seeing the game mode succeed.

Archived