3rd-party program that can find any material node in an active map.

Noctris.7204

I am wondering if i should or should not develop a 3rd-party program that can find any material node in a map that the player is currently in. This idea came to me with the mounts and the old maps of Guild Wars 2. Now that we have mounts, I think it'll make a great addition to materials gathering. Since that the icons of nodes appear at a certain range ( 10'000 units if i am not mistaken) it can become a tedious task just to gather specific materials around Tyria.

I am asking this because as of recent event leading to the ending of BGDM and arcdps meter (since they were doing more than just reading memory of the game), I have some queries regarding such a 3rd-party program. Will it be contradictory to the current ToS and EULA of Guild Wars 2 to read the memory or using a DLL injector to gain access to nodes location around a Guild Wars 2 map?

I should add that I have not started the development of such a 3rd-party program and WILL NOT if it is not in accordance with the ToS and EULA.

My "add-on" will have these specifications:

• It will NOT ALLOW automated collecting for players, nor do I intend to. ( I think "bot" are bad for the game and the player experience)
  • It will show all node inside the currently active map (depending on what the player is filtering) and will not show outside of the active map.
  • It will show all node regardless of the distance between the player and the all selected nodes-types.
  • It could be as a external executable or a in-game overlay (I have not yet decided.)
  • It will use a filtering system so player can choose which materials they are hunting.

I am open for discussion and would like some insights on this topic.

Noctris

Well as that is a known exploit hack that was available some time ago.. I would hazard a guess and say NO!..I admire your honesty at trying to exploit the gathering system, but no and hope ANET refuse to even give it a moments consideration.

The whole point of having nodes, especially randomised located nodes is that you have to go explore for them.

@Noctris.7204 said:I am wondering if i should or should not develop a 3rd-party program that can find any material node in a map that the player is currently in. This idea came to me with the mounts and the old maps of Guild Wars 2. Now that we have mounts, I think it'll make a great addition to materials gathering. Since that the icons of nodes appear at a certain range ( 10'000 units if i am not mistaken) it can become a tedious task just to gather specific materials around Tyria.

I am asking this because as of recent event leading to the ending of BGDM and arcdps meter (since they were doing more than just reading memory of the game), I have some queries regarding such a 3rd-party program. Will it be contradictory to the current ToS and EULA of Guild Wars 2 to read the memory or using a DLL injector to gain access to nodes location around a Guild Wars 2 map?

I should add that I have not started the development of such a 3rd-party program and WILL NOT if it is not in accordance with the ToS and EULA.

My "add-on" will have these specifications:

• It will NOT ALLOW automated collecting for players, nor do I intend to. ( I think "bot" are bad for the game and the player experience)
  • It will show all node inside the currently active map (depending on what the player is filtering) and will not show outside of the active map.
  • It will show all node regardless of the distance between the player and the all selected nodes-types.
  • It could be as a external executable or a in-game overlay (I have not yet decided.)
  • It will use a filtering system so player can choose which materials they are hunting.

I am open for discussion and would like some insights on this topic.

Noctris

What event ended Arcdps?

@BlaqueFyre.5678 said:What event ended Arcdps?

Quite the opposite: Chris Cleary greenlit ArcDPS in its current form, including its use of build templates.

@Noctris.7204 said:

@kurfu.5623 said:I think this already exists:

It has a marker system for WvWvW but not for gathering nodes

TACO markers exist for gathering nodes. Just not part of the default package. For example, the French marker pack might even have all nodes in Core, HoT, & LS3 (although I haven't spotchecked).

@Noctris.7204 said:Will it be contradictory to the current ToS and EULA of Guild Wars 2 to read the memory or using a DLL injector to gain access to nodes location around a Guild Wars 2 map?

I believe that it would. However, you're not necessarily going to get a clear answer from ANet; it's not in their interests to be too specific about where they draw the line. My recommendation would be to:

• Read all of Chris Cleary's posts on Reddit to find a pattern of specific objections or specific exemptions
  • If you remain unsure, commit to producing a proof of concept and discuss it on Reddit &mdash you're more likely to get help from other fan developers than you would here.
  • Alternatively, contact @deltaconnected.4058, the developer of ArcDPS. They have had more contact with Chris Cleary than probably anyone else. I'd trust delta's instincts about what would or wouldn't pass muster.

Archived