Dye Weapons/Backpacks

Curby.4897

@Neural.1824 said:I can understand why weapons are not set up to be dyed, but the decision process in development that lead to back pieces having no dye channels was short sighted at best. It's as if back pieces were an afterthought to armor.

I think they were an afterthought. At launch there were guild backpacks and Engineer backpacks, which were not real backpacks but skill effects like the aura around elementalist wrists to show what atunement they are using. There were also invisible backpacks such as the spineguards, which were stats only. Those are the only ones I remember. As I recall it wasn’t until the first holiday that the first cosmetic backpack appeared.

So I think that backpacks as cosmetic items weren’t thought of until after launch and by the time people started asking for dyeable backpacks it was too late to go back and re-design without taking too many resources away from the new Living Story they were trying to develop to retain old players and attract new ones.

Edit: in addition the Engineer had a backpack available at character creation.

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:

@Neural.1824 said:I can understand why weapons are not set up to be dyed, but the decision process in development that lead to back pieces having no dye channels was short sighted at best. It's as if back pieces were an afterthought to armor.

I think they were an afterthought. At launch there were guild backpacks and Engineer backpacks, which were not real backpacks but skill effects like the aura around elementalist wrists to show what atunement they are using. There were also invisible backpacks such as the spineguards, which were stats only. Those are the only ones I remember. As I recall it wasn’t until the first holiday that the first cosmetic backpack appeared.

So I think that backpacks as cosmetic items weren’t thought of until after launch and by the time people started asking for dyeable backpacks it was too late to go back and re-design without taking too many resources away from the new Living Story they were trying to develop to retain old players and attract new ones.

That is certainly possible. It's unfortunate that it can't be changed. In the long run I'm sure it has harmed the sale of backpack/glider combinations (though probably not substantially). I'd still love to be able to have the butterfly wings back piece as a glider skin, with the entire thing being a 4 channel dye item

• 1 month later...

They don't have to make existing backpacks dyeable (they can do it over time if they are willing), but they can work on making future ones dyeable.

In the same way that there are skins that cannot be dyed (radiant gloves etc), and others with fewer dye channels.

1 plausible way is to code in a toggle skin - like outfits - that will override the look of the backpack. They were able to code in outfits as a 4th armor weight, and were able to code in the additional interface for mounts and dyeing, which sound like similar tasks, so I find it plausible that such an approach might work.

Also, there aren't that many backpacks in game (excluding the profession ones and some others). I think there's around 15-ish existing cash backpacks, and arnd 5 unique models via in-game achvs, and then lw ones? Like, the hawk has around 4 variants (grey gold macaw and love), as well as the big white/black wings. If they are willing, they can do those over time, if a reasonably doable way to change the current system is available

Edit:Oh, and because there is always that one main driving force, freeing potential customers from being limited to default colors may make hesitant customers more willing to buy them

If you have previewed the latest weapon set, Branded, I realize lorewise why they are purple but I would lovelovelove to be able to make them green or blue or white or yellow or....so gorgeous. But purple only? Eh. My mesmer already has a nice set of purple weapons.

Archived