I don't get why people are liking the requiem armors so much

@EpicName.4523 said:The new armors are nice. The glow effects certainly make them stand out compared to many others. The heavy version is probably the best, though that is just my opinion.However...if you take a second glance you will see that the basic design, the way they look without all the flashy effects isn't that impressive. In fact, I'd argue the appearance of the chests and leggings is a bit lacklustre. Medium set in particular.

And since I don't find these sets THAT good looking, certainly not enough to justify all the hype, I wonder why everyone is out to get them. Yes, beauty is in the eye of the beholder yet those armors are rather...average?

Its not that they like them but want them. Maybe for the ap. Maybe for bragging rights. Maybe for the title. Maybe to fulfill that i gotta get em all urge. They are nice but not that nice. Ill get em eventually myself but im in no rush to pay top dollar on an item that is just another notch in my wardrobe.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Linken.6345 said:

@"Carighan.6758" said:I thought they were fairly disappointing. Someone said above "they're integrated into the story", but they're not really. They're just part of a collection, the way plenty other stuff is.

Bit of a shame. They also have - again - way overdone glowie effects instead of looking like
actual
armor you could survive a fight with. I like GW2's art style, but mainly when it sticks to "simple" elements. Simple mail armor, simple swords, it brings along the high fantasy setting really well in those cases. Whenever the glowie gets too big, it just shows how inferior the engine is for that purpose compared to, say, FF14.

Dont the unupgraded armor come without the glowie effects?

A bit less detail on the pieces, as well.

It certainly covers a lot less than the t shirts I routinely wear RL (I like 'em tunic length). It also molds to the body. A RL trench coat is a looser item of apparel, knee to ankle length, with a semi-cape effect on the upper back and some sort of waist shaping belt or back strap. The term in GW2 is generally applied to the medium chests that have the leg rig area filled in with a ballooning skirt that almost completely obscures the leg armor.

A tiny bit of drape over one hip (female) or the crotch (male) doesn't even qualify these tops as tunics, much less trenchcoats. And the crotch cover works very well here to hide the unnatural shaping GW2 male humans have in that area. It does clip slightly with the legs below so similar colors are wise, but otherwise is just right for Tyria imo.

@Ardid.7203 said:The point is this new medium armor is NOT a trenchcoat. Thats all.Which doesn't make much sense as no one said it is.

@"Donari.5237" said:It also molds to the body.Not really, quite the opposite:h9OlAw8.jpg9HOOvYQ.jpgIt's rather bulky which becomes apparent if you compare it to something that actually molds to the body (like the glorious brigandine).

@Donari.5237 said:It certainly covers a lot less than the t shirts I routinely wear RL (I like 'em tunic length). It also molds to the body. A RL trench coat is a looser item of apparel, knee to ankle length, with a semi-cape effect on the upper back and some sort of waist shaping belt or back strap. The term in GW2 is generally applied to the medium chests that have the leg rig area filled in with a ballooning skirt that almost completely obscures the leg armor.

A tiny bit of drape over one hip (female) or the crotch (male) doesn't even qualify these tops as tunics, much less trenchcoats. And the crotch cover works very well here to hide the unnatural shaping GW2 male humans have in that area. It does clip slightly with the legs below so similar colors are wise, but otherwise is just right for Tyria imo.

Technically, trench coats are no longer than the knee or possibly slightly below the knee. A coat longer than that, especially from mid-afternoon to ankle, falls into the duster category. These may/may not be fitted in the waist and usually do not have a belt. The Elegy/Requiem sets are NOT trench coats or dusters. Could be classed as short tunics at a stretch, but short jacket with asymmetric peplum is a more technically correct description.

Note: I main a female norn ranger, and I LOVE the Elegy set. I am still working on Requiem, and the glow might be too much, but it is an option.

@rdfaye.4368 said:

@Donari.5237 said:It certainly covers a lot less than the t shirts I routinely wear RL (I like 'em tunic length). It also molds to the body. A RL trench coat is a looser item of apparel, knee to ankle length, with a semi-cape effect on the upper back and some sort of waist shaping belt or back strap. The term in GW2 is generally applied to the medium chests that have the leg rig area filled in with a ballooning skirt that almost completely obscures the leg armor.

Technically, trench coats are no longer than the knee or possibly slightly below the knee. A coat longer than that, especially from mid-afternoon to ankle, falls into the duster category. These may/may not be fitted in the waist and usually do not have a belt. The Elegy/Requiem sets are NOT trench coats or dusters. Could be classed as short tunics at a stretch, but short jacket with asymmetric peplum is a more technically correct description.

Note: I main a female norn ranger, and I LOVE the Elegy set. I am still working on Requiem, and the glow might be too much, but it is an option.

Agreed, and much better presentation on the technical details than I managed, several thumbs up. In my defense I was only trying to get a general idea across as to why the body-concealing medium chests have been so firmly dubbed 'trenchcoats' by the community and the Elegy/Requiem chests do not count :)

(Pssst -- I think you got auto corrected and meant mid-calf on the length part)

Archived