I don't get why people are liking the requiem armors so much

I think the Heavy set is ugly, my female Sylvari looks fat in it so I don't even bother getting it, lol. The Light and Medium sets are amazing but I can't use them on my Firebrand which is the only character I actively play. Oh well, new armor skins are always appreciated anyway. :)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Tails.9372 said:

The medium one could be better, but it still stands out because
it is not trenchcoat-like
.It is, it's just a relatively short one. To this day the Glorious Brigandine is the only piece of medium chestwear that's not "trenchcoat-like".

Except it's not a trenchcoat, or even 'trenchcoat-like.'Sure it is, where do you think the belt is? Like I said it's not as long as the others (still you can barely see the leg piece and it's noticeably longer than the chest pieces worn by medium and heavy) but it's still a pseudo-trench coat.

...I don't understand how this is a pseudo trench coat. It has a tiny bit of overhang from the chest piece, but you can see the legs easily and the tiny flap of fabric that overhangs them is either draped off to the side on female characters, or hangs in front on male characters. Hardly a trench coat by any stretch of the imagination.

@Batel.9206 said:

.It is, it's just a relatively short one. To this day the Glorious Brigandine is the only piece of medium chestwear that's not "trenchcoat-like".

Except it's not a trenchcoat, or even 'trenchcoat-like.'Sure it is, where do you think the belt is? Like I said it's not as long as the others (still you can barely see the leg piece and it's noticeably longer than the chest pieces worn by medium and heavy) but it's still a pseudo-trench coat.

...I don't understand how
is a pseudo trench coat. It has a
tiny
bit of overhang from the chest piece, but you can see the legs easily and the tiny flap of fabric that overhangs them is either draped off to the side on female characters, or hangs in front on male characters. Hardly a trench coat by any stretch of the imagination.

It is a bit of an exaggeration but I think the general point is that people want chest pieces that don't have any overhangs at all, like you know, clothing normally has. Especially medium armor has an issue there. For example, I have a norn ranger. She has lots of trench coats and chest pieces that have what I lovingly refer to as dog collars. I would want a chest piece that doesn't hang over the legs anywhere and a free neck. Apparently this is not in the GW2 fashion spectrum. Particularly on a norn character trench coats give your character a humongous waist which looks comical at best but I'd call it ridiculous. That's a character model issue I guess so I'd prefer some pants rather than skirts or long(er) coats for my norn characters.

So no, it's not a trench coat but it does have this flap on the sides. Why is it so hard for them to make something that doesn't have flaps and doesn't cover the neck area?

That's just something I don't understand and it's a bit frustrating because it means I'm never happy with how my ranger looks.

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@EpicName.4523 said:And since I don't find these sets THAT good looking, certainly not enough to justify all the hype

What hype? I only finished the collection for the AP, title and the Ascended Armor chest. I can imagine many others did, too.

Probably something to do with one of the main items advertised for this LS chapter being this new Upgradeable Armor like it was a big deal. I think you're just so used to hype and advertisement that you don't recognize it anymore and I can't really blame you for that either.

As a mix-matcher I love the set, except for the medium version which is eh, at best, as usual, but back on topic; I think it's mainly one reason: Aura, you see, there aren't many items with effects similar to that of Legendaries (I feel like most of the Aura appearence comes from the Shoulder piece), you could count the number of black lion items with such effects on one hand, then there's infusions (most of which aren't even mix-match friendly, I think 1 or 2 of'em see real use other than the usual opulescent disco ball deprived of aesthetic sense) and infusion-like items like Winter's Presence and finally there's actual Legendaries (that are usually so overdeveloped they are incredibly hard to match with a weapon set, especially less-expensive sets).

Also, being the first armor-like set with a fiery-aura it completes the somewhat lacking flame-y theme we were previously severely missing, at least from my perspective.

@Tails.9372 said:

A trenchcoat by definition has a coat that is between knee and ankle length. This is most definitely not a trenchcoat.

@"Batel.9206" said:It has a tiny bit of overhang from the chest pieceIt extends the chest piece by about 50%, I wouldn't call that "a tiny bit" (at all).

@Pifil.5193 said:

Sure it is, where do you think the belt is? Like I said it's not as long as the others (still you can barely see the leg piece and it's noticeably longer than the chest pieces worn by medium and heavy) but it's still a pseudo-trench coat.

This is most definitely not a trenchcoat.So what? No one said that this is a
real
trench coat.

@Tails.9372 said:

@"Batel.9206" said:It has a
tiny
bit of overhang from the chest pieceIt extends the chest piece by about 50%, I wouldn't call that "a
tiny
bit" (at all).

@"Pifil.5193" said:

Sure it is, where do you think the belt is? Like I said it's not as long as the others (still you can barely see the leg piece and it's noticeably longer than the chest pieces worn by medium and heavy) but it's still a pseudo-trench coat.

This is most definitely not a trenchcoat.So what? No one said that this is a
real
trench coat.

Well its not a "pseudo-trench coat." as you state it by and definiton either,

@"Linken.6345" said:Well its not a "pseudo-trench coat." as you state it by and definiton either,Of course it is as it contains basic elements commonly found in trench coats such as the belt and increased length but it doesn't fit the description to 100% which is the reason I called it a pseudo-trench coat instad of a real one.

@Tails.9372 said:

@"Linken.6345" said:Well its not a "pseudo-trench coat." as you state it by and definiton either,Of course it is as it contains basic elements commonly found in trench coats such as the belt and increased length but it doesn't fit the description to 100% which is the reason I called it a pseudo-trench coat instad of a real one.

Grasping at straws there.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Requiem_armor_(medium)

Meh ... requiem just a bit of glow and some more details over elegy.

Main thing is ... pants for light, not trenchcoat for medium, makes you look fat for heavy? I guess one of those is not like the other.

Edit: Also since it is an actual armor set you can mix and match which might be more important than anything else.

@Pifil.5193 said:

Grasping at straws there.

)

that is in no way a Pseudo trench coat, the warbeast medium armor set is more akin to a Pseudo trench coat.

@Tails.9372 said:

Damn with that definition I dident know I ran around with a trench coat all the time being in a shirt jeans and belt, I clearly have a belt and my shirt has increased length aswell.

@Linken.6345 said:

@Linken.6345 said:Well its not a "pseudo-trench coat." as you state it by and definiton either,Of course it is as it contains basic elements commonly found in trench coats such as the belt and increased length but it doesn't fit the description to 100% which is the reason I called it a pseudo-trench coat instad of a real one.

kitten with that definition I dident know I ran around with a trench coat all the time being in a shirt jeans and belt, I clearly have a belt and my shirt has increased length aswell.Your point? I doubt that your belt is on your shirt instead of your jeans. Also, you do realise that the word "pseudo" isn't just there for decoration, right? Gehenna pretty much explained it to you guys, it shouldn't be too hard to understand

Seems like a lot of the epic, elite flashy armors that have come out are meh. The Legendary armor didn't impress me--it seems ugly. This is nicer, but it doesn't interest me either. I've never liked flashy armors that get their primary visual appeal through glowing effects. I prefer more subtle armors that let my characters feel like they belong as fairly ordinary members of society--a soldier, a traveler, a mage who uses magic for day-to-day affairs. By contrast, anything that makes me look like an anime main character or a stereotypical flashy MMO hero... someone who doesn't actually belong as a citizen of Tyria... those I shy away from.

@Tails.9372 said:

@Linken.6345 said:Well its not a "pseudo-trench coat." as you state it by and definiton either,Of course it is as it contains basic elements commonly found in trench coats such as the belt and increased length but it doesn't fit the description to 100% which is the reason I called it a pseudo-trench coat instad of a real one.

kitten with that definition I dident know I ran around with a trench coat all the time being in a shirt jeans and belt, I clearly have a belt and my shirt has increased length aswell.Your point? I doubt that your belt is on your shirt instead of your jeans. Also, you do realise that the word "pseudo" isn't just there for decoration, right? Gehenna pretty much explained it to you guys, it shouldn't be too hard to understand

The point is this new medium armor is NOT a trenchcoat. Thats all.It has an extension, and it has a belt, but that doesn't make it a trenchcoat. And this, as small as it may seems, is huge for medium armor standards, where more than 90% of the options ARE trenchcoats. No psaudo, no sort of, but full, direct, clear trenchcoats.

So: not a trenchcoat = variety win.

I thought they were fairly disappointing. Someone said above "they're integrated into the story", but they're not really. They're just part of a collection, the way plenty other stuff is.

Bit of a shame. They also have - again - way overdone glowie effects instead of looking like actual armor you could survive a fight with. I like GW2's art style, but mainly when it sticks to "simple" elements. Simple mail armor, simple swords, it brings along the high fantasy setting really well in those cases. Whenever the glowie gets too big, it just shows how inferior the engine is for that purpose compared to, say, FF14.

@"Carighan.6758" said:I thought they were fairly disappointing. Someone said above "they're integrated into the story", but they're not really. They're just part of a collection, the way plenty other stuff is.

Bit of a shame. They also have - again - way overdone glowie effects instead of looking like actual armor you could survive a fight with. I like GW2's art style, but mainly when it sticks to "simple" elements. Simple mail armor, simple swords, it brings along the high fantasy setting really well in those cases. Whenever the glowie gets too big, it just shows how inferior the engine is for that purpose compared to, say, FF14.

Dont the unupgraded armor come without the glowie effects?

Archived