Longbow Ranger Vs Deadeye

Brendan.1309

There's no consistent DE streamer or youtuber AFAIK, partly because at the absolute highest level of play (organised tournaments basically), melee variations of Thief tend to be more valuable, as Thief has a very specific role to fill in organised play and partly because the spec is a complete and total departure from the profession's normal playstyle so a lot of "old school" Thief players dislike it. But there are quite a few random montages out on Youtube (mostly from WvW though but still shows what the spec is about).

For Ranger, the only one i know is her : https://www.twitch.tv/yayitskate/

But my interest in the class is fairly limited so hopefully more dedicated Ranger players will be able to point you to others.

@"Griever.8150" said:There's no consistent DE streamer or youtuber AFAIK, partly because at the absolute highest level of play (organised tournaments basically), melee variations of Thief tend to be more valuable, as Thief has a very specific role to fill in organised play, partly because the spec is a complete and total departure from the profession's normal playstyle so a lot of "old school" Thief players dislike it. But there are quite a few random montages out on Youtube (mostly from WvW though but still shows what the spec is about).

For Ranger, the only one i know is her : https://www.twitch.tv/yayitskate/

But my interest in the class is fairly limited so hopefully more dedicated Ranger players will be able to point to others.

The rangers I watch fairly frequently are happy no, bikzesnake (but he quit), donee, and kiritsugu emeya. There are others, but these ones are the ones that popped into my head first. I only really watch YouTubers though, not twitch streamers or anything lol.

@Trevor Boyer.6524 said:

@"Brendan.1309" said:New to GW2, used to play a hunter in classic WoW, primarily pvp (open world and structured).

Really loving the gear balance in PVP, I've been running as ranger working on getting soulbeast (because pets don't seem that great in this game) maxed out.

I've been trying to get the major differences between deadeye play vs longbow ranger.All I've really heard is that deadeye has significantly higher burst DPS and it can stealth more often, If this is true then I might need to reroll.

My playstyle is all about kiting and maneuverability, I want to play the profession that can stay far out of reach, get out of cc (stuns, slows, etc), ambush then move on.

1st time posting, help me out please!

First of all, Soulbeast is capable of A LOT more damage than Deadeye if the Soulbeast is in melee range. The Deadeye burst will be somewhat equal to a Soulbeast Rapid Fire burst at range. The only advantage the Deadeye has on Soulbeast play is frequent stealthing. The Deadeye is essentially defensiveless if it gets CC'd and caught though, whereas a Soulbeast "even glass cannon Soulbeasts" can actually kill you in 2 hits in melee. It's also important to note that the skill Sic'Em on Soulbeast, is a hard counter to Deadeye play when used correctly. Rapid fire on a DPS Soulbeast will kill a Deadeye before the Deadeye kills the Soulbeast. A good Deadeye can outplay a Soulbeast with wise usage of it's elite and tricky positioning, but in general Soulbeasts counter the hell out of Deadeye "usually".

You're gonna hear a lot of people try to argue this above point ^ but what they are missing is that they only play this Axebeast and Boonbeast. What I am comparing to is not only Axebeast/Boonbeast but also Berserker Soulbeast, and no I don't mean the old Sic'Em Sniper in metabattle, that build is bad. @"Brendan.1309" if you're looking to compare Deadeyes & Soulbeasts as the same type of build/role, you should be checking out a Soulbeast build like this, and not the general builds that others are probably tossing your way:

The build is listed in the beginning of the video. Note to use Pack Rune first, and use Scholar later when you're more experienced on the build.

I would it's all situational. I don't think sic em is a hard counter to deadeye.If you are a sic em ranger and a deadeye catches you first you are basically dead. If a deadeye casts skill 4 which blocks all projectiles. You won't kill him instantly either. DE usually has a stun break. So if u knock back a good DE will instantly shadow step and stealth.

@Brendan.1309 said:Are there any good ways for a Soulbeast ranger to stealth besides longbow?

I've been trying to use Greatsword 3 leap into my Smokescales ability, that said(and it could be due to my inexperience), it seems like a lot to setup for the reward.

I know that I keep saying this, but really... I think I just love my build too much. Forget optimal because optimal is going to restrict you from having fun, more often times than not.

I have three sources of stealth, all from traps; I use Rune of the Trapper. Why? Because it's freaking fun! You don't know true joy until you see how many times an enemy is tripped up by a trap. And going into stealth enrages them further, which causes them to make more mistakes. Sorry if this wasn't what you're asking for. >.< but, Rune of the Trapper is another source of stealth.

@Brendan.1309 said:Are there any good ways for a Soulbeast ranger to stealth besides longbow?

I've been trying to use Greatsword 3 leap into my Smokescales ability, that said(and it could be due to my inexperience), it seems like a lot to setup for the reward.

With certain builds you can actually prime about 12s of stealth with nothing but Smokescale combo field and leaps/blasts. There is an infamous 1-shot build that exploits this actually, though I wouldn't recommend using it competitively. Fun to run in unranked though.

The only other ways to get more stealth is:

• Rune of Infiltrator
  • Rune of Trapper
  • Skirmishing/Quickdraw for double LB 3
  • Druid stealth when leaving CA form
  • Run with teammates who front a lot of additional stealth

@Brendan.1309 said:This discussion helps a lot, thank you all so much (I enjoyed marks/survival in WoWmuch more than beast mastery FYI) !SO it looks like there are a lot of different opinions and each profession has its strengths.

Are there any players/videos out there I should watch?The more current the better.

Idk about videos, but Jcbroe, Shadowpass, and Eurantien are all extremely experienced ranger PvPers. I know ranger very well myself, but I haven’t followed the PvP meta in some time some my knowledge in that area will be dated.

The ranger forums actually have a few videos on it atm for Soulbeast to give you an idea on how it plays if that’s what you’re looking for.

• 4 months later...

Archived