All threads gone?

SpecterMAT.7306

Rip everything :/ that is a bit of an odd decision if you won't migrate them. I mean okay there's probably a lot of outdated and outright toxic / locked threads in there, but at the same time there's going to be a large amount of content, discussion and guides going missing that I've usually been lead to via google searches. I've never been much of a forum user myself, but I've certainly enjoyed reading various threads from years back that come up in related google searches. Usually to answer mechanical interactions / questions / tests run by people to figure out how some traits interact. Which is something you won't find covered in a wiki or anything

I don't really know why I got thumb down for this thread but anyway.......

But I think it would be a better idea to "start fresh", although we really need to copy some threads over to help the newbies and spread the informations and current state of this profession for those who can't decide which profession to play or just want to learn more about each profession before buying the game.

So It's 50% ok to start fresh but 50% we need lots of threads from the old one to keep the community alive and get the newbies to play the game.

@Gaile Gray.6029 said:The old forums will be available for another 6 weeks or so, so any threads that should be re-posted can be done by the community.

Wait, so there's not going to be an archived version we can view? There's a wealth of information and history on the forums, and it would suck (Edit: seriously censoring that word?) for all of that to disappear.

@"Gaile Gray.6029" said:The old forums will be available for another 6 weeks or so, so any threads that should be re-posted can be done by the community.

"Available" where? Is there a link that can get us to the old forum or something, for a short time? I haven't been able to figure out where I can access the old threads...

@Pittcrew.6592 said:

@"Gaile Gray.6029" said:The old forums will be available for another 6 weeks or so, so any threads that should be re-posted can be done by the community.

"Available" where? Is there a link that can get us to the old forum or something, for a short time? I haven't been able to figure out where I can access the old threads...Nevermind, link for if people are unsure is here:

@Pink Pummy.2970 said:there's going to be a large amount of content, discussion and guides going missing that I've usually been lead to via google searches. I've never been much of a forum user myself, but I've certainly enjoyed reading various threads from years back that come up in related google searches. Usually to answer mechanical interactions / questions / tests run by people to figure out how some traits interact. Which is something you won't find covered in a wiki or anythingThere's a lot of old threads that contain information that can't be found anywhere else. Specifically I think the most important thing is that threads involving some obscure technical issues with the client or other tech related problems are lost and will need to be solved all over again, which will take time. There have also been many times I've been trying to look up some info about the game that just isn't mentioned in the wiki and the only place I happen to find it in, is some small thread from 2012 or so.@Rikkagin.9472 said:So how will we quote old posts/threads to prove that Arenanet did or did not promise a feature (IE. raids).Also not being able to have access to old Arenanet posts is a pain, as no one will have sources for their claims anymore and it'll end up with a lot of uncertainties.That being said I understand it's a lot of work to migrate everything and it may, in the end, not be worth it. It's an inconvenience but I guess a total reset has it's upsides too.

I understand a reset, there has been a huge need for a forum upgrade and migrating data between databases can be both tedious and tricky, with a small potential for the older data to corrupt the new database. From a technical standpoint this makes sense, but not keeping the old forums as available read only archives does not, for exactly the many reasons already discussed above. I don't know if user unhappiness here can influence this decision, but I do hope we can.

Archived