[Suggestion] Open-world Questing

Ashantara.8731

@sorudo.9054 said:that's not called a jigsaw, that's called inconsistency.a story is told like a book where you have a start, a middle and an end.not a story where you might ever see something happen and have to gather more pieces of the story to understand the whole, ending up being a story where you already started somewhere at the end and gathered pieces already spoiled. (like watching a DVD but the scenes are on shuffle)

i like watching movies and reading a good book, Anet devs need to do the same to learn how stories are done properly.Never ever play a Dark Souls game, you'll be bored to death. If you like books and movies ways of storytelling, you can always look at Quantic Dream's games.

I can't say GW2's story is always well written, or even especially good, but at least it's not delivered in some boring form, and some parts need to be found, and make the player act upon it. (well, at least after the personal story).

@Reverielle.3972 said:After 8,000 hours of in-game time these facts never cease to amaze me. Of course everyone is free to play how they want, but why some seem to overlook content in the game only to come to the forums and complain that that content is lacking? Oh well. For me this game is full of great stories and story-arcs, however you do have to put the smallest of effort in to find them, the way they are delivered is just a little different, but don't let that put you off, or think that they don't exist.

You misjudge me. In fact, I am among those who do take the time. For instance, the djinn event in the last episode that everyone just played for the sake of getting their armor collection done; I had to explain to people (even those who farmed it repeatedly for the hopes of receiving an endless tonic) what the story behind it is, because almost no one listens.

However, those events (or event chains) are not traditional quests. They don't involve adventuring across Tyria, they don't give you riddles to solve and things to discover. They are merely sending you from A to B without thinking involved, and most consists of fighting and nothing else. And that is my point, not that the content we already have was badly designed - it i just not what I am asking for with this thread.

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@"Reverielle.3972" said:After 8,000 hours of in-game time these facts never cease to amaze me. Of course everyone is free to play how they want, but why some seem to overlook content in the game only to come to the forums and complain that that content is lacking? Oh well. For me this game is full of great stories and story-arcs, however you do have to put the smallest of effort in to find them, the way they are delivered is just a little different, but don't let that put you off, or think that they don't exist.

You misjudge me. In fact, I am among those who do take the time. For instance, the djinn event in the last episode that everyone just played for the sake of getting their armor collection done; I had to explain to people (even those who farmed it repeatedly for the hopes of receiving an endless tonic) what the story behind it is, because almost no one listens.

However, those events (or event chains) are
not
traditional quests. They don't involve adventuring across Tyria, they don't give you riddles to solve and things to discover. They are merely sending you from A to B without thinking involved, and most consists of fighting and nothing else. And
that
is my point, not that the content we already have was badly designed - it i just not what I am asking for with this thread.

Sorry, even though this is your thread, that comment wasn't specifically directed at/only you. It was more of a general observation of both in-game and forum behaviour over the last few years. Yes, there basically are no traditional quests like that in-game. Any linking/stories across zones in my experience in the past have been given to us via NPC dialogue (namely the "Talk [F]" text dialogue, not the audio dialogue), but it's not a specific UI event/quest, outside of specific main/living story arcs of course.

Though that being said, relatively recently I think Anet have somewhat combated this by our achievement story collections. They've basically taken the form of quest prompts leading us from one place to another, often spanning many zones. An example of this is The Convergence of Sorrow collection story arcs from A Star to Guide us Living World release. I have no doubt that many (most) players simply saw it as a collection and did not take any time to understand the story of what was going on, but story was certainly there.

I don't know, I find dynamic events more engaging "quests" than your usual MMO's "hoof it to here, here and here" fetchquest. Throw Personal story and certain achievements ontop of that (some of which function like traditional quests, like Saladbolg's quest), and don't we basically already have this already?

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Dynamic_event

Archived