Do we know what happened to our character from GW1?

Kovac.4372

There is no canon answer. Some theorise we ascended to replace Balthazar, but the fate of the gw hero is left open for two main reasons

1) there are 3 heroes - one for each campaign2) it is your toon(s) and they have left it for you to decide their ultimate fate.

The question falls back to you in what do you think happened to them?

There are several references to the "heroes" who helped Kormir vanquish Abbadon and so on, so the game does recognize the legacy of the player character, but as for any claims of lineage, I think they leave that up to the player to conceptualize, which, I think, is the most tasteful and open-ended way it could have been handled.

@Kovac.4372 said:

@"Randulf.7614" said:Some theorise we ascended to replace Balthazar

What? Who? Why?

Entirely fan based speculation. Because when One of the Six is deposed or killed, the magic must pass to a new being to rise in its place, it stands to reason there is a new "God of War". Since the supposed God remains unnamed and not even referred to, that has led fuel to the idea the GW1 hero became that replacement

My headcanon is that my monk retired and lived out the remainder of her days in peace and meditation, likely the head of some long forgotten abbey somewhere.

I like the idea of her becoming a god, but I think it’d be too hard for ANet/anyone to pull that off in a satisfactory way for most GW1 players. I’d rather it be a notable NPC.

Guild Wars 1 hero is mentioned a few times by a title only, Hero of Nightfall by Kossan, and a few books in game mention them also. It would seem that hero died or ascended to godhood before Koss took on Joko though. Cannon wise the last thing hero is known of doing is the Winds Of Change in Cantha event.

ArenaNet stated that they will never give a canon ending to the GW1 hero(es) as they want the beginnings and ends of the PCs (both games) to be entirely up for the players to decide on a personal level.

They've stated how they feel the GW1 PC would end - most going to "fighting the charr until death and possibly turning into a ghost by the Foefire" or "fighting Joko until death and likely becoming Awakened", but neither will ever become canon.

The "three heroes"(1) are remembered by history, so they're not lost to it, but their names will be tentatively avoided (because it must), and so to will their origins before the plot and ends after the plot of GW1.

The closest ArenaNet has, and likely ever will, get to a canon fate is the implication that the Commander is the reincarnation of a/the(1) GW1 hero.

(1)I say three because of the Young Heroes of Tyria, but lore does suggest that the Prophecies hero might be "the one" who did it all, accompanied by both named and unnamed other heroes.

Archived