Regarding Core Guard

Ovark.2514

@"AngelLovesFredrik.6741" said:

@Manakel Angel.1047 said:Even with RI at 50% core guardian didn't reach 100% critical chance, it was 85% (including fury). It was ok. Not good. Just ok (ideally you want 100%). With RI at 50% and a valkyrie amulet, it's 60% critical chance. It is certainly not good, not ok either, in fact it's kitten. So core guardian have to change valkyrie amulet for one giving precision. And the closer is marauder amulet. But core guardian lose 4000 life. For a character with low life pool that's...problematic.

Yeah. It's a shame that with a Valk amulet core guardian will only have critical hit chance only 10% less than every other Power Crit specs while having close to 400 more Vitality and Ferocity that those builds won't get.

Have you seen core guardian's class mechanics? Virtues with kitten passives and a slightly less kitten active?

You really wanna compare that to Photon Forge, Full Counter, Mirage Cloak and Beast Mode?

There is a reason for Core Guardian needing the extra precision, mate.

Won't be an issue after next patch. Core guard will be dead

It isn't an issue now. Only at lower/mid tiers where players cannot press the Dodge key correctly. Not saying that is not relevant, but this is not how ArenaNet should've had addressed it.Funny, where have I heard that before? Oh yeah from Mirages, Boonbeasts, Holosmiths and Deadeyes every time parts of their class gets criticized.

Core Guardians are one of the few builds that can give a proper Mirage a hard time. What do you think that is going to happen after this patch? Even with Mirage nerfs, if the dogs are gone, cats will be out of the box.

Most of Condition Mirage's kit in PvP received a 50-66% nerf in condition damage out put, specifically the shatters and the hardest hitting axe skills. The 25% crit chance loss translates into about a 10% drop in total damage out put for guardians mathematically.

Heck against a burning target, which core guardian has very high uptime of, with your permanent fury uptime core guardian still has 60% crit chance.

60% uptime isn't enough, guard damage was already sub-par. It had an okay burst, good if you blew everything and it actually hit. It didn't have enough damage to kill prot holos, Boonbeasts, chronos or even staff chaos Mirages if they played well.After this patch you need to move to Marauder because of the crit chance, meaning not only do you lose 3.5k health. You also lose 450 ferocity.

You're going to be fine.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@mortrialus.3062 said:

@Manakel Angel.1047 said:Even with RI at 50% core guardian didn't reach 100% critical chance, it was 85% (including fury). It was ok. Not good. Just ok (ideally you want 100%). With RI at 50% and a valkyrie amulet, it's 60% critical chance. It is certainly not good, not ok either, in fact it's kitten. So core guardian have to change valkyrie amulet for one giving precision. And the closer is marauder amulet. But core guardian lose 4000 life. For a character with low life pool that's...problematic.

Yeah. It's a shame that with a Valk amulet core guardian will only have critical hit chance only 10% less than every other Power Crit specs while having close to 400 more Vitality and Ferocity that those builds won't get.

Have you seen core guardian's class mechanics? Virtues with kitten passives and a slightly less kitten active?

You really wanna compare that to Photon Forge, Full Counter, Mirage Cloak and Beast Mode?

It isn't an issue now. Only at lower/mid tiers where players cannot press the Dodge key correctly. Not saying that is not relevant, but this is not how ArenaNet should've had addressed it.Funny, where have I heard that before? Oh yeah from Mirages, Boonbeasts, Holosmiths and Deadeyes every time parts of their class gets criticized.

Core Guardians are one of the few builds that can give a proper Mirage a hard time. What do you think that is going to happen after this patch? Even with Mirage nerfs, if the dogs are gone, cats will be out of the box.

Most of Condition Mirage's kit in PvP received a 50-66% nerf in condition damage out put, specifically the shatters and the hardest hitting axe skills. The 25% crit chance loss translates into about a 10% drop in total damage out put for guardians mathematically.

Heck against a burning target, which core guardian has very high uptime of, with your permanent fury uptime core guardian still has 60% crit chance.

It is between 15-20% damage loss. Even if we go with the 10%, that is an insane amount.

Also, I have bad news for you on mirage. Anet nerfed axe, which overall was the easiest condi weapon to counter. Every mirage now will run scepter and staff now. It will be a shit show.

@otto.5684 said:

It is between 15-20% damage loss. Even if we go with the 10%, that is an insane amount.

Also, I have bad news for you on mirage. Anet nerfed axe, which overall was the easiest condi weapon to counter. Every mirage now will run scepter and staff now. It will be a kitten show.

Someone can't do match and has never crunched numbers to theory craft in this game.

@mortrialus.3062 said:

@"Manakel Angel.1047" said:Even with RI at 50% core guardian didn't reach 100% critical chance, it was 85% (including fury). It was ok. Not good. Just ok (ideally you want 100%). With RI at 50% and a valkyrie amulet, it's 60% critical chance. It is certainly not good, not ok either, in fact it's kitten. So core guardian have to change valkyrie amulet for one giving precision. And the closer is marauder amulet. But core guardian lose 4000 life. For a character with low life pool that's...problematic.

Also, I have bad news for you on mirage. Anet nerfed axe, which overall was the easiest condi weapon to counter. Every mirage now will run scepter and staff now. It will be a kitten show.

Someone can't do match and has never crunched numbers to theory craft in this game.

I did. :smile:7GiEsGm.png

(The lower part is just for the base damage calculation with less power for marauder.)

It is 15.2% less damage with valk amulet. With marauder amulet it is only 8.0%. Both comparing with fury and retribution against a burning target, so it does not represent DPS - marauder might get a little higher here, because (as was already mentioned) marauder overcaps on crit chance and might benefit when fury drops or foe cleanses burning.

For a burst class, that can be huge. I am happy as an ele main, one less +1 class to worry about (except they all move to rev) but I do not understand, why the build needed nerfs at all. It was - in my view - quite well balanced, even though it might have been easy to learn.

€: Sorry for the bad editing...

It wasn't my favorite, but the radiance build was the best build we had at the moment. It arguably still is, there's just not that much else out there that works right now. I pretty much only play core guard, so...it's either theorycrafting time, or quit playing PvP.

You can still try to run a radiance build as-is with valkyrie/lynx and eat the 25% reduction in crit chance. I'm going to try marauders/vampirism for a similar build stat-wise. It'll have about a 25% higher crit chance than the old valk build (50% higher than the new valk build), but about 20% less crit damage. And of course you'll lose the 25% movement speed from lynx, but I picked vampirism to get the health pool back up. We all know guardian's health pool is quite limiting. Either way it's a straight nerf, with no other viable builds being particularly evident. I can't think of much else that will survive.

Lol, pvp isnt the only game mode in gw2, it's actually the least played. Personally i think the movement boosts gliders/mounts are much more appealing than the specs in the MUST HAVE department from the expansions.

The guardian and thief are like the only classes I feel you can play core without a drawback. Core ele is a joke and from what I remember all other core classes are fairly worse than their elite counterparts.

So core guardian is an exception not the rule.

Archived