Regarding Core Guard

Ovark.2514

@Ryan.9387 said:

@"Liza.2758" said:everytime i saw Messy on stream. i don't think he can lose anyone 1 v 1.Radiance Firebrand is hardcountered by "Nothing Can Save You!".

I duelled one a few days ago. Had no chance without the mentioned skill and facerolled him with it. So unblockables are the build's nemesis.

This might catch a good player off guard once. Radiance fb should take the weakness/blind mantra which makes necro power damage a waste of time.I duelled this guy more than one time and I can see when a player is good at the game.

Spectral Walk cleanses condis during shroud while it's bursting time. Cleansing Sigil and Speed of Shadows deal with the rest. So I don't care about weakness as long as it's not covered with 10 other boons (which it isn't when you fight a firebrand). Blinds are not an issue when you go toe to toe in shroud because: quickness! Traited NCSY! has a ~20s cooldown and a 5s uptime in a 1v1. If the first burst doesn't wreck him, then the second does for sure.

NCSY! isn't even that good. But it's great when your taget has to facetank your burst, which Firebrand has to.

@sephiroth.4217 said:

I duelled one a few days ago. Had no chance without the mentioned skill and facerolled him with it. So unblockables are the build's nemesis.

This goes for fighting any Guardian, use unblockable attacks and you cut right through it like cheese... Guardian sustain was built around blocking after all.When we talk about Reaper: Nope, Dragonhunter has so many disengages and CC (=kiting potential) that he can nullify NCSY! with ease over and over again. It's only good vs. Core and Firebrand.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@KrHome.1920 said:

@"Liza.2758" said:everytime i saw Messy on stream. i don't think he can lose anyone 1 v 1.Radiance Firebrand is hardcountered by "Nothing Can Save You!".

This might catch a good player off guard once. Radiance fb should take the weakness/blind mantra which makes necro power damage a waste of time.I duelled this guy more than one time and I can see when a player is good at the game.

Spectral Walk cleanses condis during shroud while it's bursting time. Cleansing Sigil and Speed of Shadows deal with the rest. So I don't care about weakness as long as it's not covered with 10 other boons (which it isn't when you fight a firebrand). Blinds are not an issue when you go toe to toe in shroud because: quickness! Traited NCSY! has a ~20s cooldown and a 5s uptime in a 1v1. If the first burst doesn't wreck him, then the second does for sure.

NCSY! isn't even that good. But it's great when your taget has to facetank your burst, which Firebrand has to.

This goes for fighting any Guardian, use unblockable attacks and you cut right through it like cheese... Guardian sustain was built around blocking after all.When we talk about Reaper: Nope, Dragonhunter has so many disengages and CC (=kiting potential) that he can nullify NCSY! with ease over and over again. It's only good vs. Core and Firebrand.

Good thing dragonhunter doesn't have enough damage to kill anything

@KrHome.1920 said:

Oh I was actually thinking about Ranger with this comment..Unblockable Rapid fire witb Sic Em buff to be precise.

@sephiroth.4217 said:

Oh I was actually thinking about Ranger with this comment..Unblockable Rapid fire witb Sic Em buff to be precise.

Otherwise I agree, DH shouldnt lose to Reaper, even my DH eats reapers but its a troll 5 trap burst build.

(bad posting my bad, using phone.)

@"AngelLovesFredrik.6741" said:

@"sephiroth.4217" said:

Good thing dragonhunter doesn't have enough damage to kill anythingWhat can I say... except it's like hammer herald: one out of 50 players are capable of using the builds potential. In EU there are a handful (not more) of DH mains that would cause a million "nerf this shit" cries in this forum if every poster here would have to fight them.

@Ovark.2514 said:

@Skotlex.7580 said:uhm, I am pretty sure ANet has stated before they meant elite specs to be "sidegrades" to core ones, not upgrades.

The powercreep with expansions is real, but probably not intentional. So it makes sense that after a round of balances some core specs manage to perform better than others.

Considering that firebrand is either support or condition based, is it any surprise it may not do better than a power spec? (of course, dragon hunter needs a little help here as well).

-_-" Every MMO who has payed expansions makes their new classes/specs stronger than the rest. This is common knowledge. If Anet really did intend for them to be sidegrades they would have said it and then, more importantly acted on it. As it stands, has there even been a meta since HoT where more than 2 core specs were even competitive at all?

Well, here's the forum thread about it:

In the end, ANet did not state elite specs are an upgrade or a sidegrade, just that they play your profession differently.

Frankly, if elite specs were always meant to be better, that hurts the game's diversity because then, for instance, every mesmer would run mirage with axe and deception utilities, greatly hurting variety, as now you only get a choice of off weapon and two trait lines.

Now, you could argue that only the trait line was meant to be superior, but that's only part of an elite spec, not the whole of it. Anyway, it really would be healthier for the game if elites were not meant to be outright upgrades.

Indeed it would be far healthier for the game if they were sidegrades only. Unfortunately we live in a capitalist society where short term gains are prioritized over long-term success. Anet aren't going to come out and say "yeah, these are meant to be strictly better than core specs" because people would be much less willing to even try the game knowing they will be at a disadvantage. Likewise they won't come out and say they AREN'T supposed to be upgrades, because they will look untrustworthy when anyone can look at the meta in any given season and see that the over-performing builds are almost always Elite specs. Anet did exactly what was most beneficial for them, keep things as vague as possible so that no one can complain.

When HoT came out, Anet did say that the elite's were side-grades and not upgrades. This was advantageous because not everyone wanted to play the only elite available.

The more elites that come out, the better. It's easy to see that elites are upgrades. That's why I'm looking forward to the next expansion, if they ever make one. You have more options and the powercreep is more balanced between your options.

@KrHome.1920 said:

@"sephiroth.4217" said:

Good thing dragonhunter doesn't have enough damage to kill anythingWhat can I say... except it's like hammer herald: one out of 50 players are capable of using the builds potential. In EU there are a handful (not more) of DH mains that would cause a million "nerf this kitten" cries in this forum if every poster here would have to fight them.

DH is objectively bad, it lacks almost everything a duelist should have. But a good player will more often than not beat a bad player regardless of what they're playing.I've made it to 1670 rating on core staff ele this season. It doesn't make the build half decent.

I'd argue I was well above average on DH during HoT, it saw way too many nerfs for an already sub-par build for it to be viable.

@"AngelLovesFredrik.6741" said:DH is objectively bad, it lacks almost everything a duelist should have. But a good player will more often than not beat a bad player regardless of what they're playing.I've made it to 1670 rating on core staff ele this season. It doesn't make the build half decent.

I'd argue I was well above average on DH during HoT, it saw way too many nerfs for an already sub-par build for it to be viable.

While I won't argue that DH could use a couple small buffs, I'd say you're wrong about this. DH in fact has everything a duelist should have, it just has less of it than the other builds out there at the top of the totem pole.

@Arcaedus.7290 said:

@"AngelLovesFredrik.6741" said:DH is objectively bad, it lacks almost everything a duelist should have. But a good player will more often than not beat a bad player regardless of what they're playing.I've made it to 1670 rating on core staff ele this season. It doesn't make the build half decent.

While I won't argue that DH could use a couple small buffs, I'd say you're wrong about this. DH in fact has everything a duelist should have, it just has less of it than the other builds out there at the top of the totem pole.

DH lacks damage to be a threat to an equally skilled player in a duel. It also lacks the mobility as well. So, you are left with sustain. GL.

At least with core guardian the damage is high enough that you can punish enemies mistakes.

@sephiroth.4217 said:

@"dominik.9721" said:core guard is weak.there was 0 core guards in tol finals, winrate of most core guards in Season 10.232 is around 50%, no core guard in top 10,also gets hardcountered by dp thiefs. core guard just gets cyberbullied by Mirage mains.

Last season core guard winrate was second place after boonbeast ! got the stat from Ben live on twitch like some weeks ago !

So im guessing DH will get nerfed then...

Nope, for sure it means mesmers and holos buffs.

I cant imagine where Anet could nerf DH w/o "updating" the bow skills

@otto.5684 said:

DH lacks damage to be a threat to an equally skilled player in a duel. It also lacks the mobility as well. So, you are left with sustain. GL.

At least with core guardian the damage is high enough that you can punish enemies mistakes.

Sword 2, JI, Gs 3 and F2... has enough mobility for a duel and gank.

DH has decent damage, if it didnt then I wouldn't be retal bombing myself lol

Ive faught quite a lot of core guards on my DH and only one has beaten me because I didnt see him coming.

Im not very good at DH as I only play troll builds but Id be more than happy to have a core v dh after work with you

@sephiroth.4217 said:

Ive faught quite a lot of core guards on my DH and only one has beaten me because I didnt see him coming.

Im not very good at DH as I only play troll builds but Id be more than happy to have a core v dh after work with you

Running DH without bow? Good luck getting kills without test of faith combo. Considering you drop radiance for DH, you lose a ton of damage.You either drop meditations for traps, in which case you will lack fury uptime and be stuck with marauders baseline precision. You will not have enough damage to kill a chaos mirage, boonbeast, Holo or even a warrior with this build.

I'd love to be proven wrong though.

Running DH without bow? Good luck getting kills without test of faith combo. Considering you drop radiance for DH, you lose a ton of damage.You either drop meditations for traps, in which case you will lack fury uptime and be stuck with marauders baseline precision. You will not have enough damage to kill a chaos mirage, boonbeast, Holo or even a warrior with this build.

I'd love to be proven wrong though.

My DH runs Zeal and Radiance with Valk ammy and Trapper runes for stealth de-targeting abuse..Fury uptime is actually pretty good. So is Retal uptime.

I can nuke all 3 of those classes from 100-0 and right through rally before my combo has finished.(after typing this up, I had a few games and thought about this so took a screenie, it was a Scourge, Mirage and Thief)j2cMjRC.jpg

I can give you the build if you like, maybe try it out for yourself?(complete troll build for fun, but definitely isn't what you're describing.)http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vVAQNAR8dn8cCFdiddCWdCkdil7hS+9j/9vqACg01KDa3CF-jJBaABB+EAIc/BAKD87FBAA

If you don't want the build to try for yourself, I'm more than happy to try and record a video of a game.

If you do want to try and are curious how this build even works then a few points I can drop here:

• Dropping Virtues meant losing retal uptime, but by using Wrathful Spirit and Fragments of Faith, I can hold more fluid Retal uptime overall when combined with GS4. (and more Aegis/blocks is also good, stab isn't bad either)
  • GS4 is traited with Symbolic Avenger, So dropping your Dragons Maw then Symbol Of Wrath followed up with your burst gives more damage amps.
  • Symbolic Avenger also increases Base power
  • Symbols inflict Vuln, more damage amps.
  • Zealots Aggression + Opportunity Sigils and Trapper runes is more uptime on damage amps.. (really long cripple durations)
  • Theres also Zealous Blade which heals you when combo a light field, which is somewhat handy when dropping your load onto someone, there's also more damage amps there.
  • Trapper runes provide stealth for stealth bombs and de-targeting
  • Trapper runes also provide Superspeed
  • Condition removals come from Hunters Fortification combined with Fragments of Faith, Focus 5, F3 and swapping weapons.
  • Usual other stuff for weapon skills, Sword 3 projectile denial, sword 2 teleport and focus 4 is the "THATS THE RIGHT MES MARKER" lmao, no but seriously not sure how others use sword/focus.

Edit: Added picture.

@otto.5684 said:@"AngelLovesFredrik.6741" you can certainly run DH without LB.

@sephiroth.4217 man, talk about high risk ?

It is nice that you can make it work. I doubt the reliability though.

I ran aegis shatter with zeal, radiance and FB (before the nerf). The damage was hilarious, but reliability was not there.

Well isn't that what a troll build is? Something gimmicky and not completely reliant? It has massive drawbacks, like Retal nuking yourself lol

BUT

point is, not as useless as some might say. I think it's also a good duelist class too.

@otto.5684 said:

Have you tried full melee DH? Similar build to meditrapper but you run GS instead of LB, and switch up the traits in the DH line. You can even drop ToF and pick up another stunbreak (usually CoP). The build has excellent mobility (only behind mirage and thief), decent survivability (a bit better than core guard) and its damage is decent. While tethered with f1 (which isn't hard to land) your damage will actually exceed that of a core-guard's. This build I would say has an advantage over meditrapper against certain builds, namely sic-em soulbeast and power mirage, is good against core guard and LB DH, and actually has the ability to pursue and get kills vs. condi mirage.

The damage is there. What DH is capable of is still below what mirage, holosmith and soulbeast are capable of but it's no build to laugh at.

@Arcaedus.7290 I did. If radiance and valor are constant, the order of effectiveness: virtues > zeal > DH. Problem with DH is the trait lines do not offer much. The damage is overreliant on SoJ. Which becomes a serious issue if it does not hit. And considering the amount of the mobility many of the meta builds have, it makes SoJ not reliable.

Compare that with virtues and zeal. Virtues offer much more reliable retaliation uptime, more condi removal, better healing on resolve (virtue or wings), CC break and stability and lower CD on virtues. Zeal offers also better uptime on retaliation and much higher reliable damage from GS.

Overall, DH is okay, but there is a reason why it is not as popular as core. It is not as effective.

@sephiroth.4217 said:

I ran aegis shatter with zeal, radiance and FB (before the nerf). The damage was hilarious, but reliability was not there.

Well isn't that what a troll build is? Something gimmicky and not completely reliant? It has massive drawbacks, like Retal nuking yourself lol

BUT

point is, not as useless as some might say. I think it's also a good duelist class too.

Can you beat Condi mirage / soul beast / holo / spell breaker 1 on 1 ?

Can you out support Fireband ?

Can you out burst Herald / Deadeye ?

Can you out aoe scourge ?

when you off meta build you need to answer these questions otherwise why the fk do you even play.

@Liza.2758 said:

BUT

when you off meta build you need to answer these questions otherwise why the kitten do you even play.
  • yes
  • no, Im dps and not support
  • yes
  • yes

also has:

• teleport
  • 3 aoe cc
  • 6s reveal
  • 2 leaps
  • utility support
  • stability
  • stun breaks
  • condi removal
  • stealth
  • superspeed

@Liza.2758 said:

BUT

when you off meta build you need to answer these questions otherwise why the kitten do you even play.

I do not play things cuz they are efficient. I play them cuz they are fun. This (GW2) is entertainment. I won’t play something that does not entertain me regardless of how effective it is.

I have been playing primarily core guardian using radiance/zeal and valor. So to answer your questions:

Solo, I can beat all of the above around my skill level. I have edge over mirage. About even against holo. soul beast has the edge, but can since it plays more on itterition, it is not as effictive against guardian. SB tend to be the most difficult of the bunch. Herald is also harder to fight solo on my build than mirage, holo and soul beast.

This a dps build, not support.

Can I outburst herald and DE? Yes. It is much easier to avoid, but my burst is far more spammy.

Can I output AOE scourge? Lol. Scourge aoe is pretty mediocre. It is the aoe boon corruption that keeps it in the game, not the damage. Also, this specific build is the king of aoe. If the enemy team cannot put enough press to either constantly interrupt me or push me off the point I will wipe them out in 20-25 secs. In fact one symbol plus gs2 can be enough to wipe the entire enemy team if not avoided.

I want to emphasize something important, most meta builds are not meta cuz they are the best in what they do, they are meta cuz there is limited downsides and counter-play. Example, my build is sucepetable to CC and easy to avoid and kite. GL doing that against a competent herald or holo.

@otto.5684 said:

BUT

I do not play things cuz they are efficient. I play them cuz they are fun. This (GW2) is entertainment. I won’t play something that does not entertain me regardless of how effective it is.

I have been playing primarily core guardian using radiance/zeal and valor. So to answer your questions:

Solo, I can beat all of the above around my skill level. I have edge over mirage. About even against holo. soul beast has the edge, but can since it plays more on itterition, it is not as effictive against guardian. SB tend to be the most difficult of the bunch. Herald is also harder to fight solo on my build than mirage, holo and soul beast.

Can I outburst herald and DE? Yes. It is much easier to avoid, but my burst is far more spammy.

Can I output AOE scourge? Lol. Scourge aoe is pretty mediocre. It is the aoe boon corruption that keeps it in the game, not the damage. Also, this specific build is the king of aoe. If the enemy team cannot put enough press to either constantly interrupt me or push me off the point I will wipe them out in 20-25 secs. In fact one symbol plus gs2 can be enough to wipe the entire enemy team if not avoided.

I want to emphasize something important, most meta builds are not meta cuz they are the best in what they do, they are meta cuz there is limited downsides and counter-play. Example, my build is sucepetable to CC and easy to avoid and kite. GL doing that against a competent herald or holo.

lmao

what tier is this ? gold ?

i'm sure it is even NA. only place where people playing garbo builds

@Liza.2758 said:

BUT

lmao

Considering you judging a core guard which fits the role as a dps roamer by his ability to deal with sidenoders like sb in 1v1s, I think the gold division also applies to you - lmfao

@dominik.9721 said:

BUT

lmao

Considering you judging a core guard which fits the role as a dps roamer by his ability to deal with sidenoders like sb in 1v1s, I think the gold division also applies to you - lmfao

To be fair, Zeal guardian is too paper for any decent games.

Archived