Keeping WvW fresh - a thought

Revan.9815

Greetings, and forgive me if this has been thought of already.

I find, as perhaps many of you do, that wvw can get fairly stale week after week. Sure, there are new server matchups, and the less frequent server pair switches, but I was wondering if things could be further diversified by implementing ideas that already exist into the game: no downed state, bloodlust madness, etc.

What if there was a weekly (or bi-monthly?) rotation? You could have something like this:Week 1: Normal, vanilla, plain 'ole wvwWeek 2: No downed stateWeek 3: Bloodlust bonus week (this was insane when they did it by the way)Week 4: No mounts, OR everyone has Desert BL OR no gliders Or or or anything else you can think of.

Since there doesn't appear to be any tangible tournament or score keeping of servers beyond the ego of a few, doing something like this, and having a wvw "season" with various changes to the mode ever week or so beyond which servers are duking it out could add not only variety in style, but maybe even in strategy depending on the week.

At any rate, thought I'd throw it out there!

P.S. no downed state weeks are hilarious, love them.

Happy hunting out there, one and all.

@L A T I O N.8923 said:

@bigo.9037 said:I like your idea and I support it but personally I would rather have them turn OS JP into a conquest style node point and whoever is holding it gains points for their server. That would be so much fun tbh.

Like a timerbound permanent bloodlust?

well i didnt think about that. i havent thought that through so idk if it would be a good idea yet, but what i meant was:

as long as your server holds the point ( no one is decapping the point ) your server gains a certain amount of .. points ( i forgot the name ) similar to the way your server gets 2 points per tick for holding a tower or something, your server now gets 2.. or 4 points per tick for your server from that node in the OS JP. you getting it?

@bigo.9037 said:

@bigo.9037 said:I like your idea and I support it but personally I would rather have them turn OS JP into a conquest style node point and whoever is holding it gains points for their server. That would be so much fun tbh.

well i didnt think about that. i havent thought that through so idk if it would be a good idea yet, but what i meant was:

as long as your server holds the point ( no one is decapping the point ) your server gains a certain amount of .. points ( i forgot the name ) similar to the way your server gets 2 points per tick for holding a tower or something, your server now gets 2.. or 4 points per tick for your server from that node in the OS JP. you getting it?

I mean some value 'king of the hill' sounds appealing to me...but we need a jp before we start?

@L A T I O N.8923 said:

I mean some value 'king of the hill' sounds appealing to me...but we need a jp before we start?

xd dude I'm talking about the JP in OS... It's been there since launch! Go check it out it's actually really fun. And there's traps you can use (in the jp) to dmg other players in there.. great fun

@L A T I O N.8923 said:

OS=obsidian sanctum is one of the 2 wvw related jumping puzzles.

That would definitely be an interesting change. I had thought before that might be a way to make the ruins more interesting if we had additional reasons to cap/hold them. Back in the day you'd see a ton of hilarious action in OS. I seem to have fond memories of groups stalking each other in the darkened area (had to get that torch or just hide in the shadows) or even time the traps appropriately.

@Fatherbliss.4701 said:That would definitely be an interesting change. I had thought before that might be a way to make the ruins more interesting if we had additional reasons to cap/hold them. Back in the day you'd see a ton of hilarious action in OS. I seem to have fond memories of groups stalking each other in the darkened area (had to get that torch or just hide in the shadows) or even time the traps appropriately.

EXACTLY. Man my first experiences in OS were so much fun that I can still remember them to this day. It was so epic. It was the perfect environment for pvp in that sense. I miss it so much and that's why I want to bring it back. It's the kind of pvp that is only about fun and not necessarily competitive..

@bigo.9037 said:

@Fatherbliss.4701 said:That would definitely be an interesting change. I had thought before that might be a way to make the ruins more interesting if we had additional reasons to cap/hold them. Back in the day you'd see a ton of hilarious action in OS. I seem to have fond memories of groups stalking each other in the darkened area (had to get that torch or just hide in the shadows) or even time the traps appropriately.

EXACTLY. Man my first experiences in OS were so much fun that I can still remember them to this day. It was so epic. It was the perfect environment for pvp in that sense. I miss it so much and that's why I want to bring it back. It's the kind of pvp that is only about fun and not necessarily competitive..

Yep. If I compare this to other games often what I miss is the open world type of concept. A lot of our issues get tied up in scoring, population balances and such things. Because this is a siege based concept game where score is so important I really like the idea here as it still adds to that overall total. I still reference the narrow window of time where EotM had some decent fights with strategy involved. I'm also a fan of environmental hazards. Nothing surprises a foe more than tossing someone into a pit of lava or having traps. lol. Not everyone's cup of tea of course. :p

@Fatherbliss.4701 said:

Yep. If I compare this to other games often what I miss is the open world type of concept. A lot of our issues get tied up in scoring, population balances and such things. Because this is a siege based concept game where score is so important I really like the idea here as it still adds to that overall total. I still reference the narrow window of time where EotM had some decent fights with strategy involved. I'm also a fan of environmental hazards. Nothing surprises a foe more than tossing someone into a pit of lava or having traps. lol. Not everyone's cup of tea of course. :p

To me it's just the pvp in different kinds of environments that's so fun. The dark cave was the best for me. I was new to everything when I went there and I was so scared of the other players while being in that cave. Was such an adrenaline rush and I hope anet will bring it back with some kinda PVP based expansion.

Personally, I'd like for them to make EBG the event location and leave the borderlands for standard WvW.

My guild has a mixed reaction. Some people loved it, some didn't even want to play. It is what it is but I think finding a compromise would be good overall. That way Anet can test events and people that don't enjoy the event can still enjoy WvW. I don't want to see anet stop trying to come up with new fun things for WvW but some are going to be hit or miss and people are fickle.

Archived