Mechanics [suggestion]

Flat damage shield - bar gauge that protects only against flat damageCondition damage shield - bar gauge that protects only against condition damageHexes - unique condition spellsWvW map - Map that plays more like Spvp with simple point capping. This map would play mainly using mounts and mount-able units. mount-able units would be very high damage dealing against infantry players (players not in mount units). Mount units have high health, hull strength (armor), and shields (with shield gauge bar). Mount units have very limited specific usages (think RTS types of units like ship carriers, ranged units, melee units, air units, ground units, defensive and offensive building units...). Each player can choose from 3 to 4 types of units to spawn to be used. A unit window pane in the GUI would show if that unit is available to mount for each individual player. Different units could have different spawning time based on unit type. Players can build unit spawn modifiers that can increase spawn rates for more needed units. increased unit (speed, damage, shielding, hull strength, attack rate, heal rate etc). Spawn modifiers are based on points (modifier points) that can be spent to build each unit. Each player is given say 10 points to be used to begin with. More can be gained by capturing modifier point capping points located near score capping points and other areas; and also taking down boss units located throughout the map. Maximum modifier points are limited per person per map. Player spawning points and unit spawning points start at a main location and can be spread out with newly captured scoring cap locations. Spawning locations cannot be located further than half the distance of the map.... This is all for now.

Sorry, it's a rough write-up. Sort of a conceptual build. It's a sketch so nothing is well written. Sorry. If it makes any sense then thumbs up for anyone can make anything of it. If more is added, maybe i'll try to make it more read-able. Or maybe at a later time if it seems deem-able for a revision.

@Randulf.7614 said:I don’t suppose you could reformat your post to separate ideas out clearly? It’s a bit of a block to try and read

Is this better?

@Zahld.4956 said:Flat damage shield - bar gauge that protects only against flat damage

Condition damage shield - bar gauge that protects only against condition damage

Hexes - unique condition spells

WvW map - Map that plays more like Spvp with simple point capping.This map would play mainly using mounts and mount-able units. Mount-able units would be very high damage dealing against infantry players (players not in mount units). Mount units have high health, hull strength (armor), and shields (with shield gauge bar). Mount units have very limited specific usages (think RTS types of units like ship carriers, ranged units, melee units, air units, ground units, defensive and offensive building units...).

Each player can choose from 3 to 4 types of units to spawn to be used. A unit window pane in the GUI would show if that unit is available to mount for each individual player. Different units could have different spawning time based on unit type. Players can build unit spawn modifiers that can increase spawn rates for more needed units. Increased unit (speed, damage, shielding, hull strength, attack rate, heal rate etc). Spawn modifiers are based on points (modifier points) that can be spent to build each unit. Each player is given say 10 points to be used to begin with. More can be gained by capturing modifier point capping points located near score capping points and other areas; and also taking down boss units located throughout the map. Maximum modifier points are limited per person per map.

Player spawning points and unit spawning points start at a main location and can be spread out with newly captured scoring cap locations. Spawning locations cannot be located further than half the distance of the map.... This is all for now.

I like the idea of bringing back hexes, I enjoyed the variety of attacks we had in GW1 and I wish more of them had made it into GW2. Not sure about the different shields though, I'm not sure what that would add to what we've already got. I'm especially not sure what a condition shield would achieve when all professions have condition removal skills/traits anyway.

As for the WvW map...my first question is if mounted players have a big advantage over unmounted players and every player can spawn mounts why would anyone stay unmounted outside their base? I think there needs to be a benefit to doing that otherwise no one will do it, and then you lose one of the benefits of the mounts. Like the Mecha Siege Devourer and other 'mounts' in Edge of the Mists - they have powerful unique attacks but they're slower and can't go everywhere players can.

I also think you'd need to give players a reason to choose this map over the existing ones, since losing all your characters actual skills for a pre-determined set from an item is generally unpopular - people will do it when necessary but I think an entire WvW map built around it would be a tough sell.

@Zahld.4956 said:

@derd.6413 said:the first are just worse version of barrier.to many unique effects is already causing balance issues (tho more in a support sense currently) so that's a big no on hexesand for the WvW map: no, just no

Do not resist the change. Succumb to the change.

i'm all for change so long as it's good and not change for the sake of change

The shields are a big no , it is just another balance nightmare. Let them get the balance on classes fixed first. Though maybe the shields could be a new form of the shield generator siege. Build one and it pulses in a small range condi-clear, another maybe pulses Stab ? As siege they would affect limit cap, and have option to be disabled.You most not of played the Desert Border land maps when they first launched. No one liked the barriers, even though destroyable they hindered gameplay and drove many out of WvW.Making the mounts stronger then non mounted would most likely kill any WvW players for that map. Mounts (vehicles) in EoTM are a good example of how mount combat could work in WvW, they have limited movement, various skills that are not always effective. They are not over powered in any way against other players which is good for game play.

"derd.6413" said:i'm all for change so long as it's good and not change for the sake of changeI think I've promoted "change for the sake of change" in the past, but, after recent balance patches, I think I need to clarify. I think that change should be a constant because "balance" is an illusion that can never be reached. This doesn't, however, mean that you should change an enjoyable mechanic without good reason or that all change is good.

Back to the original post, I miss hexes. Not a huge fan of the homogenization of status effects.

@"Edelweiss.4261" said:

"derd.6413" said:i'm all for change so long as it's good and not change for the sake of changeI think I've promoted "change for the sake of change" in the past, but, after recent balance patches, I think I need to clarify. I think that change should be a constant because "balance" is an illusion that can never be reached. This doesn't, however, mean that you should change an enjoyable mechanic without good reason or that all change is good.

Back to the original post, I miss hexes. Not a huge fan of the homogenization of status effects.

change for the sake of change and change to prevent stagnation are 2 different things